Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
maschmdt
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:07 pm

Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by maschmdt » Wed Apr 18, 2018 5:49 am

found on http://www.chessdom.com/breaking-leela- ... season-12/.

Nice promo for the project!

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 3116
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by Guenther » Wed Apr 18, 2018 6:26 am

maschmdt wrote:found on http://www.chessdom.com/breaking-leela- ... season-12/.

Nice promo for the project!
A lot of nonsense there e.g.
Tests have shown that LC0 performs as much as 300 Elo better when paired with 6-man Syzygy tablebases
Current foe list count : [101]
http://rwbc-chess.de/chronology.htm

Uri Blass
Posts: 8611
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 11:37 pm
Location: Tel-Aviv Israel

Re: Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by Uri Blass » Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:27 am

Guenther wrote:
maschmdt wrote:found on http://www.chessdom.com/breaking-leela- ... season-12/.

Nice promo for the project!
A lot of nonsense there e.g.
Tests have shown that LC0 performs as much as 300 Elo better when paired with 6-man Syzygy tablebases
Did you do tests that show that it is not the case?

I do not know about tests that showed 300 elo improvement for LC0 by using tablebases in the search but it does not prove that it is not the case.

Daniel Shawul
Posts: 3762
Joined: Tue Mar 14, 2006 10:34 am
Location: Ethiopia
Contact:

Re: Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by Daniel Shawul » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:59 am

If TCEC used 4 TPUs, LeelaZero could already maybe be on AlphaZero's level. However, if TCEC keeps on using the 44 cores cpu machine, I am pretty sure it would never ever beat Stockfish even in TCEC 100. The 10x128 network size as is may already be the optimal size with the 44 cores hardware in mind; A0 calculated 4 TPU's would be necessary for their 40x256 net i.e. 8x larger and maybe 8x slower.

I am considering entering the weakest version of Scorpio-MCTS (scorpio-mcts-min) that I estimate 2300-2400 elo -- it might be 2700 elos there too like leela. The evaluation of scorpio-mcts-min (and ofcourse this is hand coded evaluation) is about 100x faster than leela's. So if LeelaZero doesn't beat, it means the NN effort is useless on that hardware.

Give a thumbs up here if you like this idea -- not many hours left till it starts.

Daniel

duncan
Posts: 10528
Joined: Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by duncan » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:31 am

Daniel Shawul wrote:If TCEC used 4 TPUs, LeelaZero could already maybe be on AlphaZero's level. However, if TCEC keeps on using the 44 cores cpu machine, I am pretty sure it would never ever beat Stockfish even in TCEC 100. The 10x128 network size as is may already be the optimal size with the 44 cores hardware in mind; A0 calculated 4 TPU's would be necessary for their 40x256 net i.e. 8x larger and maybe 8x slower.

I am considering entering the weakest version of Scorpio-MCTS (scorpio-mcts-min) that I estimate 2300-2400 elo -- it might be 2700 elos there too like leela. The evaluation of scorpio-mcts-min (and ofcourse this is hand coded evaluation) is about 100x faster than leela's. So if LeelaZero doesn't beat, it means the NN effort is useless on that hardware.

Give a thumbs up here if you like this idea -- not many hours left till it starts.

Daniel
please go ahead.

Henk
Posts: 5833
Joined: Mon May 27, 2013 8:31 am

Re: Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by Henk » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:02 pm

It's playing now against the Baron. So hurry to TCEC. 24:00 too late for Europeans.

IanO
Posts: 478
Joined: Wed Mar 08, 2006 8:45 pm
Location: Portland, OR
Contact:

Re: Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by IanO » Thu Apr 19, 2018 3:44 pm

Pretty miserable performance so far, only one draw against The Baron. Archive is down, how have the games been?

User avatar
CMCanavessi
Posts: 844
Joined: Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 pm
Location: Argentina

Re: Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by CMCanavessi » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:20 pm

IanO wrote:Pretty miserable performance so far, only one draw against The Baron. Archive is down, how have the games been?
If you consider "miserable" that a 1 month old project is already at level to play TCEC division 4 and somehow getting some eventual draws with 3000 elo engines while playing with a bugged network, well, we definitely have a different concept of "miserable".

I would say expected performance.
Follow my tournament and some Leela gauntlets live at http://twitch.tv/ccls

JJJ
Posts: 1288
Joined: Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:47 am

Re: Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by JJJ » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:48 pm

LCzero is already +185 elo in selfplay it seems compared to LCzero id 125 :
http://lczero.org/

In other hand, I m not sure tablebase give LCzero 300 elo

whereagles
Posts: 561
Joined: Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:03 am

Re: Leela Chess Zero enters TCEC Season 12 Div 4

Post by whereagles » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:46 pm

Disappointing results so far. Only 1/2 a point out of 5.

Post Reply