GM Andrew Tang vs Leela Chess Zero

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jhoravi

Re: GM Andrew Tang vs Leela Chess Zero

Post by Jhoravi »

Nay Lin Tun wrote:Are you aware that Leela's opening preference usually changes with new network?

If you see Leela playing Sicilian in current network , " then you should start preparing something else; Ruy Lopez ,may be".

:lol: 8-) :o
It's already announced that 1D25 will be used in their match
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Jhoravi wrote:
Nay Lin Tun wrote:Are you aware that Leela's opening preference usually changes with new network?

If you see Leela playing Sicilian in current network , " then you should start preparing something else; Ruy Lopez ,may be".

:lol: 8-) :o
It's already announced that 1D25 will be used in their match

Additionally:

"If Andrew manages to win a game against Leela, and there is time for additional games, her neural network will quickly be upgraded to an even newer and slightly stronger one, should one be available at that time."
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by duncan »

Milos wrote:
Vinvin wrote:
duncan wrote:
Hai wrote:Andrew Tang will play at this weekend against a much stronger Zero than it is now. Maybe 150-300 ELO stronger than now.
I thought it was meant to have stalled
Here's the graph of progress : http://lczero.org/
It is stalled. Self-playing Elo results mean nothing in real life. For actual performance check Kai's results.

elo gain a day is 56. any comment ?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... 2014732845
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

This is just a reminder that the match start today for those who are interested. I might stream it, if no one else is.

Post by AdminX »

Game will be starting soon. Here is the Twitch Stream Link: https://www.twitch.tv/penguingm1

Post by duncan »

https://ratings.fide.com/card.phtml?event=2059630

wiki quote

Tang began playing chess in preschool. He was instructed by IM John Bartholomew as he was growing up. He earned the International Master title in 2014, by winning the North American Junior Chess Championship.[1][2]

In November 2017, Tang achieved his final GM norm and achieved a rating of over 2500 in the Fall 2017 CCCSA GM Norm Invitational tournament (in Charlotte, NC), thereby earning the title of Grandmaster.[3]

Tang is currently enrolled in Wayzata High School in Plymouth, Minnesota.[4]
Online chess

Tang is known as a very strong online bullet chess player, playing on lichess and chess.com since 2012 under the pseudonym penguingm1. Tang has stated on his livestreams that he came up with the username penguingm1 when he was young and creating an account on ICC because he liked penguins and he wanted to become the #1 Grandmaster. Tang has at times been the highest-rated bullet chess player on both lichess and chess.com and is the highest-rated bullet chess player ever on lichess, with a peak lichess bullet rating of 3196 and a peak chess.com bullet rating of 3250. [5]
References
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Post by duncan »

tang thinks lc0 has good tactical ability. he resigned first game.
second game think tang lost on time
Last edited by duncan on Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

I wonder why GMs accept playing a match against LC0...
Could it be because currently she is in the last place at the 4th division of TCEC season 12?
Now don't get me wrong, I really really like LC0 project, but the thing hasn't been born yet and they made it play at TCEC. I couldn't disagree more about letting LC0 playing at TCEC at this time.
This is very strange to me.
Developers need time to iron out the bugs in the code, and also they need even more time to train the network. Have you guys thought how far is LC0 from the 44 million training games A0 had?
Also the hardware for playing the matches is important for these type of searches. Can LC0 developers get some hardware equivalent to the one Google used to play the match against stockfish?
In conclusion, the ideas in LC0 are great, but the means (hardware) to make it happen are scarce, and the timing to release it to TCEC is even worse.
Just give time to developers, they sure need it.
This way LC0 dignity is just been taken away.
Just my two cents.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

Cardoso wrote:I wonder why GMs accept playing a match against LC0...
Could it be because currently she is in the last place at the 4th division of TCEC season 12?
Now don't get me wrong, I really really like LC0 project, but the thing hasn't been born yet and they made it play at TCEC. I couldn't disagree more about letting LC0 playing at TCEC at this time.
This is very strange to me.
Developers need time to iron out the bugs in the code, and also they need even more time to train the network. Have you guys thought how far is LC0 from the 44 million training games A0 had?
Also the hardware for playing the matches is important for these type of searches. Can LC0 developers get some hardware equivalent to the one Google used to play the match against stockfish?
In conclusion, the ideas in LC0 are great, but the means (hardware) to make it happen are scarce, and the timing to release it to TCEC is even worse.
Just give time to developers, they sure need it.
This way LC0 dignity is just been taken away.
Just my two cents.
Grandmasters like it because they actually have a chance of beating it. Developers like it because it provides free publicity for their programs. Viewers like it because they would like to see the machine or the human get it's ass whooped. :lol: