Potential forum software update (at last)

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Potential forum software update (at last)

Post by Sam Hull »

It's easy to miss announcements or stickies at the top of the forum - there is a fresh one posted here and in CTF regarding a possible upgrade. I have suggested that we voluntarily prune all but the last year or so out of CTF to get the database down to a size that will allow a successful upgrade. Comments welcome ...

Thanks,
-Sam-
Henk

Re: Potential forum software update (at last)

Post by Henk »

I would (not mind/like) if you delete all my posts. Maybe there are more members who would like all their posts deleted. That will save space. If everyone wants all their posts deleted then solution will be easy.

Or maybe give everyone some time to save their 'valuable' posts and then delete all.
Last edited by Henk on Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

$10 donation sent. I have been making use of this forum for 10 years thanks to Your Move Chess & Games and appreciate it greatly.
Evert

Post by Evert »

There is a lot of very useful discussion in the archives. Purging that sounds like a really bad idea.
There are certainly a number of threads I'd want to archive for my own use if that were to happen, but even then: I sometimes search for relevant information, but I can hardly do that ahead of time.

Having said that, the archived posts I'm interested in are in the technical discussion section. I would imagine that those have the most potential long-term relevance, so perhaps not purging the technical discussion forum is an idea that makes sense?
Henk

Post by Henk »

By the way if 'Fabi wins' there will probably become more interest in chess in the near future because he is American.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

If you can produce a dump of the current contents of the archive, then purging should be fine.

We can load the dump into our own readers.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Sam Hull
Full name: Sam Hull

Post by Sam Hull »

Only CTF is being considered for pruning - the archive value is pretty much all on this side of the board. If the only way to get the upgrade done is to trim the oldest posts on CCC as well, it should be possible to post an archive like Sean Mintz did back when ... but here's hoping it doesn't come to that.

-Sam-
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

Dann Corbit wrote:If you can produce a dump of the current contents of the archive, then purging should be fine.

We can load the dump into our own readers.
+1

I'm sure I would download the compressed dump file too, as long as it is not greater than 10 GiB in size.
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

$25 donation sent.
I hope others will follow soon.