Lichess temp ban for flaggers.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

chessmobile

Lichess temp ban for flaggers.

Post by chessmobile »

Just noticed a new feature for online chess that Lichess is doing now. When your opponent deliberately lets their time run out when faced with a completely lost position will suffer a temporary ban. This is good news for online players not sure if any other server has done this but kudos to Lichess. Also I'm not sure what length of time the ban is.
Dann Corbit

Re: Lichess temp ban for flaggers.

Post by Dann Corbit »

chessmobile wrote:Just noticed a new feature for online chess that Lichess is doing now. When your opponent deliberately lets their time run out when faced with a completely lost position will suffer a temporary ban. This is good news for online players not sure if any other server has done this but kudos to Lichess. Also I'm not sure what length of time the ban is.
Does it also work for the disconnect trick?
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

chessmobile wrote:When your opponent deliberately lets their time run out when faced with a completely lost position
I've never understood why people don't just click the "resign" button, provided that there is one.
George Tsavdaris

Post by George Tsavdaris »

chessmobile wrote:Just noticed a new feature for online chess that Lichess is doing now. When your opponent deliberately lets their time run out when faced with a completely lost position will suffer a temporary ban.
This is unsportsmanlike behavior for sure(and a very annoying one) but technically where is any rule's violation? I mean, it is completely inside the normal rules of play.
After his son's birth they've asked him:
"Is it a boy or girl?"
YES! He replied.....
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

There also seem some problems with this feature. I believe LiChess uses the rule that if you let more than 15% of the game time expire before you forfeit, you get the ban. But in bullet games (2 min) that amounts to just 18 sec, and people are regularly baffled by an opponent move for more time than that and flag. After which they get banned...
syzygy

Post by syzygy »

George Tsavdaris wrote:
chessmobile wrote:Just noticed a new feature for online chess that Lichess is doing now. When your opponent deliberately lets their time run out when faced with a completely lost position will suffer a temporary ban.
This is unsportsmanlike behavior for sure(and a very annoying one) but technically where is any rule's violation? I mean, it is completely inside the normal rules of play.
Lichess is not part of FIDE, so it can make up its own rules.

But what happens online also happens OTB, so there is:
FIDE competition rules wrote:9.3 A player who does not wish to continue a game and leaves without resigning or notifying the arbiter is discourteous. He may be penalised, at the discretion of the CA, for poor sportsmanship (E.I.01A.12.9)
Henk

Post by Henk »

What also happens is that they don't move anymore until one second before their time is up. So you can't do something else in between.
jdart

Post by jdart »

I've never understood why people don't just click the "resign" button, provided that there is one.
Me neither.

--Jon
whereagles

Post by whereagles »

They let time run out because sometimes the opponent (e.g. me!!) doesn't want to wait for flagging and resigns first. That's the point.
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

chessmobile wrote:Just noticed a new feature for online chess that Lichess is doing now. When your opponent deliberately lets their time run out when faced with a completely lost position will suffer a temporary ban. This is good news for online players not sure if any other server has done this but kudos to Lichess. Also I'm not sure what length of time the ban is.
I love it. I see people do this to me all the time. Instead of just resigning like a man they let the time run out thinking in their mind that one they are annoying you and two that in some way it is less of a loss that just resigning.

If you play chess or any game for that matter and you can't stand the demoralization of a loss than you will never get stronger and you should get out of competitive endeavors all together.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie