Problem with arena 3.5.1

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

GONeill
Full name: Graham O'Neill

Re: Problem with arena 3.5.1

Post by GONeill »

Frank Quisinsky wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:43 pm Hi there,

maybe I should try to contact Martin Blume.
But if I start to work again with Martin it seems that is a lot of work after so many years.

Thinking on my old idea-list ... most are not inside and it seems that different bugs must be fixed.

We are 15 years older as in our best times.
No information what Martin do today.
At first, I hope Martin is OK.

In case of Arena Open-Source made sense.
I am not the open-source fan but in this case others can try to improved the sources.
Same if I compare with ChessBrainVB if an other programmer are working on LarsenVB or Igel.
Such Open Source projects I like a lot.

Delphi code (with the free version of Delphi, today for sure very old).

Better if others try to made the software better.
I believe today I have not the power as in younger years.

Next week I will search in older mail backups the yahoo address from Martin.
Most important person is Martin Blume but I believe I know his answer.

But it can be interesting to give the sources free.

Best
Frank
It would be great if you could persuade Martin to release the source code. I think Delphi is still available via Embercadero but is very expensive for an Open Source project. I suspect porting it to Lazarus with Free Pascal might end up being the best option.

I think Martin might still be around as last January a new release of Arena was made, but only for Linux.

Good luck!
AlexChess
Full name: Alex Morales

Post by AlexChess »

hgm wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 7:00 pm
AlexChess wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:22 pmBut with it, every time I add or remove an engine, I must restart the whole tournament...
WinBoard allows replacement of an engine in a tournament with or without replay of the games it already had to its name, doesn't it? (The 'Replace engine' vs 'Upgrade Engine' buttons.) And keeping all games the engine wasn't involved in. What you cannot do is alter the number of participants to a tournament. But that doesn't seem possible in principle, e.g. for a round robin. It would completely mess up the rounds pairing schedule.
I have also tried ScidvsPC on Windows 10 ARM64 but engines doesn't start after book openings returning me errors!
(Arena and engines on it work fine excepted for common bugs, despite it is an emulated Intel x64 CPU)
ScidvsMac works fine under Rosetta 2.. but I cannot find how to view analysis windows (during tournaments) I get only game infos :oops:
So it is completely useless. Could you tell me how to show analysis windows on it? I never had this issue before with all programs and computers since 1980's Fidelity chess and Kasparov-Saitek Reinassance :D

PS: Could you tell me other crosstable generators from PGN for Windows or Mac?

Thank you!
Last edited by AlexChess on Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
ProteusSF Dev Forum TROLLS KINDERGARTEN
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Well, problems with SCIDvsPC do not really seem a convincing reason for not using WinBoard...
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

GONeill wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 1:25 am
Frank Quisinsky wrote: Sun Mar 21, 2021 6:43 pm Hi there,

maybe I should try to contact Martin Blume.
But if I start to work again with Martin it seems that is a lot of work after so many years.

Thinking on my old idea-list ... most are not inside and it seems that different bugs must be fixed.

We are 15 years older as in our best times.
No information what Martin do today.
At first, I hope Martin is OK.

In case of Arena Open-Source made sense.
I am not the open-source fan but in this case others can try to improved the sources.
Same if I compare with ChessBrainVB if an other programmer are working on LarsenVB or Igel.
Such Open Source projects I like a lot.

Delphi code (with the free version of Delphi, today for sure very old).

Better if others try to made the software better.
I believe today I have not the power as in younger years.

Next week I will search in older mail backups the yahoo address from Martin.
Most important person is Martin Blume but I believe I know his answer.

But it can be interesting to give the sources free.

Best
Frank
It would be great if you could persuade Martin to release the source code. I think Delphi is still available via Embercadero but is very expensive for an Open Source project. I suspect porting it to Lazarus with Free Pascal might end up being the best option.

I think Martin might still be around as last January a new release of Arena was made, but only for Linux.

Good luck!
I'm trying all alternative GUIs for Windows, and I always return to Arena Chess 3.5.1 despite bugs. If you know him, please try to persuade Martin to release the source to a friend programmer, with few bugfixes and improvements it could be really perfect :D
Chess engines and dedicated chess computers fan since 1981 :D Mac mini M1 8GB-256GB, Windows 11 & Ubuntu ARM64.
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hello HGM,

that's is right.
I am looking in Winboard version you offer.
Do that in the night.
Must sleeping now at 09:30 in the morning.

After my first impressions the work you do here is really just great!!

My congrats and sorry for my bad words against your person in other threads!

Will give you really my sorry, I am thinking I am to hard with my bad words!
Hope you accept?!

Best
Frank
RubiChess
Full name: Andreas Matthies

Post by RubiChess »

AlexChess wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:29 am I'm trying all alternative GUIs for Windows, and I always return to Arena Chess 3.5.1 despite bugs. If you know him, please try to persuade Martin to release the source to a friend programmer, with few bugfixes and improvements it could be really perfect :D
+1
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

I'm really grateful to you all that feed my interesting hobby! :D

I'm available as betatester for all your GUI projects especially for Macs M1 and Intel.

AlexChess
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

hgm wrote: Mon Mar 22, 2021 9:24 am Well, problems with SCIDvsPC do not really seem a convincing reason for not using WinBoard...
I'm just downloading it, hoping that it works on Windows 10 x64 emulated on Mac mini M1 :)
Frank Quisinsky
Full name: Frank Quisinsky

Post by Frank Quisinsky »

Hi Alexchess,

oh yes, I know him.
Martin sent me in the past a beta version of Arena with the comment ...
Frank, I hope my Arena software you will like.
What do you think, should I make Arena available?

And we start our teamwork with my faithful helper "Michael Diosi" from Winboard times!

Better protocol features, opening book features, eng-eng features ... I told him, let us start to create with the software you have the ultimate GUI for engine-engine lovers. Feature for feature Martin added on GUI positions I like. After a short time, I start with the Arena web site and collected 250 beta testers around the World. We open a fora at first Martin dislike. Because he told me, for a programmer not a big deal that so many others like to dicuss about my mistakes. I told him, that is great Martin because you are a human and each of the Arena users should be sit in the first position with a direct contact to us. Million of downloads, after a short time 800 members in the own development fora. Many helpers and a big success. The chess guys from Argentina are very "chess-crazy", the French engine programmers also and helps a lot. Polish computer bild "It-magazine" Arena is on place 3 from free available software (a chess programm on 3 from all freeware software, a sensation). Same for German it-newspager. On a daily newspager in Argentina Arena is on the front page ... on this day around 41.000 hits from Argentina on Arena site and so one ... more and more people found the way to the community and had a lot of fun with our project. Daily contacts to good known actors, singer, politician, skier, football player and trainer, chess grandmaster and so one around the World. Downloads from more as 200 countrys. Thinking on mails from Niue from a police station ... people around the World ... Michael Diosi made the own link collection better and the link to Arena site can be found on thousands of chess sites around the World. Only the German "DSB" gave the information ... we have a connection with Chessbase and that is more interesting as the connection to a freeware project. Not all was nice what we got!

A great connection to DGT, we offer Chess960 at first after a wish from DGT "Alfred". So many programmers and users help to make Arena stronger and stronger. Martin added all of my older ideas, it was many years a job from 5-6 hours daily to work around the project for myself. And all this for nothing ... not for me because "I like computer chess". Support, website, ideas for the GUI, test for the GUI, the contacts to other webmasters / newspaper and so one.

3 years later (we wrote mails daily) I had the first personal contact with Martin Blume.
I can say about him ... Martin is a 100% and very friendly programmer.

Give him an idea and he is able to added it in Arena much better and more interesting as I have it in my brain at first. Martin need strong testers and an order to do this one or this one. Not a person like me to write big messages in bad English. He dislike to be in the focus. What I do around Arena in the past is not that Martin like. Martin like to made programmings and dislike all the publicity around it. But without the publicity and all the collected helpers never Arena can be have success in the past.

:-)

Best
Frank

Arena is a software from one programmer but with ideas and great help from more as 500 persons!
Really a great project from our strong chess community!
For 12-15 years, today other things are in the focus in computer chess.

So, I like the people from Poland, France, Argentina a lot because they do more for the project as people from other countrys after all the mail contacts aroud Arena in all the years. So Martin made the programming and Michael Diosi the Admins from the forum and I all the other things around this big project ... Martin have no time for it, need the complete time for the programmings around Arena.
AlexChess

Post by AlexChess »

Now I'm only an ASP.NET website programmer but after AlphaZero and NNUE introduction my interest on computer chess has returned.
(in 80/90 I was a Satek-Kasparov / Mephisto dedicated computer chess dealer and I wrote also a lot of articles for Torre & Cavallo Italian chess magazine)

If you need, I'm available as beta tester. I have some ideas on features to add to Arena Chess or Xboard / Winboard. :D

Regards,
AlexChess