Komodo 11.3 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Re: Komodo 11.3 released

Post by Leo »

Cool.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
leavenfish

Post by leavenfish »

Ovyron wrote:
mjlef wrote:I want to thank Ulysses P. here on the forum for suggesting we just we just automatically extend any subscriptions to make sure the buyers get some reasonable number (we set it to 3) Komodo versions, even if the year period expires. It was a great idea. Fair, simple, and takes some pressure of of us. Thanks.

Mark
I want to show my public appreciation to you and Larry Kaufman for giving me the engine for free for this! That was truly unexpected and I'm very glad that trying to help pays off.

I'll fully support Komodo and wish you great success in your endeavors.
3 updates...could be chopped up all sorts of ways. one could be of 7 or 8 elo for example, if that.

One could reasonably argue that if you had any faith in your abilities and actually wanted to reward people for buying subscriptions, you would guarantee say at least 15 or 20 point gain for each of the 3 versions. Yes? Maybe a "guaranteed" 50 point game over the life of the subscription?

I mean, Team K always says they will not have a new release if the strength gain does not warrant it. Why not put it in writing with some sort of guarantee?
S.Taylor

Post by S.Taylor »

lkaufman wrote:Komodo 11.3 has been released at komodochess.com. As usual, it is free for subscribers and 20% off for those who purchased Komodo 10 or later version. Estimated elo gain over 11.2.2 is about ten on single thread (about 40 elo over Komodo 11.01), should be somewhat more on many threads as we have fixed the problem of Komodo moving too quickly when using many threads. We have added Skill levels, which are intended to range from near-beginner level for level 1 to Magnus Carlsen level (assuming 3' + 2" per side) for level 19, with level 20 being the normal full strength Komodo and the default. We have also added a BMI2 compile for those with fairly new computers that support this.

We apologize for the long interval (more than double the normal interval) between versions. This was partly due to a range of unrelated personal problems affecting both Mark and myself that cost us a lot of time but should not affect us going forward, but it is also due to the fact that it is increasingly difficult to gain Elo points just by tuning and making minor improvements. We are going to have to try more radical changes to make meaningful progress. While I am optimistic, it is hard to predict how long these changes will take to bear fruit. In the event that we have another long interval between releases in the future, we will guarantee that any subscribers who have not received three versions in one year will have their subscriptions extended until they do receive the third version.
I just ask one thing. What ever you do, please don't sacrifice style even one bit!
That includes its knowledge and positional understanding.
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

S.Taylor wrote:
lkaufman wrote:Komodo 11.3 has been released at komodochess.com. As usual, it is free for subscribers and 20% off for those who purchased Komodo 10 or later version. Estimated elo gain over 11.2.2 is about ten on single thread (about 40 elo over Komodo 11.01), should be somewhat more on many threads as we have fixed the problem of Komodo moving too quickly when using many threads. We have added Skill levels, which are intended to range from near-beginner level for level 1 to Magnus Carlsen level (assuming 3' + 2" per side) for level 19, with level 20 being the normal full strength Komodo and the default. We have also added a BMI2 compile for those with fairly new computers that support this.

We apologize for the long interval (more than double the normal interval) between versions. This was partly due to a range of unrelated personal problems affecting both Mark and myself that cost us a lot of time but should not affect us going forward, but it is also due to the fact that it is increasingly difficult to gain Elo points just by tuning and making minor improvements. We are going to have to try more radical changes to make meaningful progress. While I am optimistic, it is hard to predict how long these changes will take to bear fruit. In the event that we have another long interval between releases in the future, we will guarantee that any subscribers who have not received three versions in one year will have their subscriptions extended until they do receive the third version.
I just ask one thing. What ever you do, please don't sacrifice style even one bit!
That includes its knowledge and positional understanding.
I don't believe that making Komodo "dumber but faster" is a good idea, although we occasionally remove some minor bit of knowledge that isn't worth the time it takes. But the playing style could change if, for example, we decide that making Komodo even less materialistic is good for Elo (as it seems to me that Stockfish 9 has done compared to Stockfish 8). Note that's not a prediction, just an example.
Komodo rules!