Someone lit a fire under the Stockfish team

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Dann Corbit

Someone lit a fire under the Stockfish team

Post by Dann Corbit »

There has been a boatload of highly beneficial patches in the last few days.

I expect that the new version will flex its muscles in the TCEC superfinal.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Jouni

Re: Someone lit a fire under the Stockfish team

Post by Jouni »

NCM testing still shows +3 after SF9 - nothing spectacular so far :lol: .
Jouni
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Jouni wrote:NCM testing still shows +3 after SF9 - nothing spectacular so far :lol: .
Pohl already shows +8 from the February 9th version, and I expect more when he tests the latest version.

I am also not nearly so interested in an Elo gain as I am in a long term analysis gain. My gedankenexperiment about the current changes tells me that they are very good.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Eelco de Groot
Full name:   

Post by Eelco de Groot »

I find Komodo is also doing well in Clemens' 'Quo vadis' many threads tournament. It is also past Houdini at least in current standings which is a good thing even if you're Houdini fan :) Spurs on Houdart.
Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first
place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you
are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it.
-- Brian W. Kernighan
Jouni

Post by Jouni »

New maintainer Stephane Nicolet seems to work fulltime! Previously MC and JK usually only weekends. Now framework says:

ELO: 7.14 +-2.0 (95%) LOS: 100.0%

with this rate it's +80 in year :o
Jouni
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

I find Komodo is also doing well in Clemens' 'Quo vadis' many threads tournament.
Yes, but that is version 2016 and I wonder how big the difference to 2012 (at TCEC) is.

Except being four years :mrgreen:
Regards, Mike
Ozymandias

Post by Ozymandias »

Mike S. wrote:
I find Komodo is also doing well in Clemens' 'Quo vadis' many threads tournament.
Yes, but that is version 2016 and I wonder how big the difference to 2012 (at TCEC) is.

Except being four years :mrgreen:
Komodo 2016.00 64-bit t15 is the latest development version.
pohl4711
Full name: Stefan Pohl

Post by pohl4711 »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Jouni wrote:NCM testing still shows +3 after SF9 - nothing spectacular so far :lol: .
Pohl already shows +8 from the February 9th version, and I expect more when he tests the latest version.
Here my timeline for next weeks:

At the moment, the test of BrainFish 180227 is running (with Cerebellum_Light Release 167). After 800 of 5000 games, the score is incredible high...but we dont know, if the latest patches are that strong, or the Cerebellum-Library was so much improved on the HERT-openings (or perhaps both?!). The testrun should end next Wednesday. Then the testrun of latest Stockfish will start. And it should end in middle of March.
If all works correctly...

Stay tuned!

Stefan (SPCC)
Norm Pollock

Post by Norm Pollock »

Dann Corbit wrote:There has been a boatload of highly beneficial patches in the last few days.

I expect that the new version will flex its muscles in the TCEC superfinal.
I think the catalyst for this is the TCEC tournament. It brings out the faults, so authors have something to go after.
Updated links for 40H Tools and Databases
http://40Hchess.epizy.com
http://nk-qy.info/40h
Nay Lin Tun

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

Eelco de Groot wrote:I find Komodo is also doing well in Clemens' 'Quo vadis' many threads tournament. It is also past Houdini at least in current standings which is a good thing even if you're Houdini fan :) Spurs on Houdart.
In TCEC, the old Houdini is performing better than Komodo(2012), and SF and H will most likely be in the final. However, I think no more update for Houdini and SF would be unstoppable.