Chess for Android v5.6

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PeterO

Re: Chess for Android v5.6

Post by PeterO »

Hello Aart,

in your app I can set the strengh in elo points.
1: Is this in ALL uci engines possible - or only in SPECIAL ones?
2: How do you realize this. Did the developers enable this - or do you reduce the SPEED of the engine?

In some UCI engines I can select their own opening book.
I want to create my own opening books - using Polyglot.
I suppose I have to put my own opening book in the SAME folder as the engine.

3. Can I use EVERY name for the opening book or is it necessary to use the SAME name as the na e of the engine?

Thanks Peter
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Hello Aart,

in your app I can set the strengh in elo points.
2: How do you realize this. Did the developers enable this - or do you reduce the SPEED of the engine?

In some UCI engines I can select their own opening book.
I want to create my own opening books - using Polyglot.
I suppose I have to put my own opening book in the SAME folder as the engine.

3. Can I use EVERY name for the opening book or is it necessary to use the SAME name as the na e of the engine?

Thanks Peter
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

PeterO wrote:in your app I can set the strengh in elo points.
If an engine does not support a particular UCI option, the choice is disabled, and grayed out in the set up window (on some devices, this graying out is more apparent than on others; but in all cases, you cannot even select what is disabled). Same applies to "limit ELO", the GUI makes no attempt to realize this in alternative ways.
PeterO wrote: 3. Can I use EVERY name for the opening book or is it necessary to use the SAME name as the na e of the engine?
Any path will work. For example the absolute path "/sdcard/book/peter.bin". That way, all engines can share a single book. Of course, you can give some engine the same book, and others another book. If you change your mind later, clear the options of an engine, and go through setup again. Some engines may use a relative path by default to look in their own directory for a book (usually their own).
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Thanks Aart!

Does you app support the personalities from Rodent III?
How can I. activate them?

Peter
PeterO

Post by PeterO »

Thanks Aart!

Does you app support the personalities from Rodent III?
How can I. activate them?

Peter
abik
Full name: Aart Bik

Post by abik »

After all the fun I had connecting Chess for Android with the Millennium over Bluetooth, I was curious if I could provide similar support for the DGT electronic chess boards. Some of these have Bluetooth capabilities, most use USB connections, and some older models, like the one I have, still use the RS-232 connector.

To my pleasant surprise, by combining the original serial cable of DGT with a USB-to-serial cable and a female-USB-to-USB-C cable, I was able to get an actually working connection between my DGT board and my tablet or phone.

Next was implementing support in Chess for Android. Luckily, DGT kindly shared the protocol documentation with me, and after a fun weekend of hacking, Chess for Android now proudly supports DGT electronic chess boards as well.

AdminX

Post by AdminX »

abik wrote:After all the fun I had connecting Chess for Android with the Millennium over Bluetooth, I was curious if I could provide similar support for the DGT electronic chess boards. Some of these have Bluetooth capabilities, most use USB connections, and some older models, like the one I have, still use the RS-232 connector.

To my pleasant surprise, by combining the original serial cable of DGT with a USB-to-serial cable and a female-USB-to-USB-C cable, I was able to get an actually working connection between my DGT board and my tablet or phone.

Next was implementing support in Chess for Android. Luckily, DGT kindly shared the protocol documentation with me, and after a fun weekend of hacking, Chess for Android now proudly supports DGT electronic chess boards as well.

Mow that is awesome news to hear! :D
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."