So many nice releases these days

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rodolfo Leoni

So many nice releases these days

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Stockfish 9, Cfish 9, Baron 3.42, Smarthink, Skipper no progress, and many interesting others. A pity the greatly interesting LCZero is still a private experiment for few elected people...
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Re: So many nice releases these days

Post by kasinp »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:Stockfish 9, Cfish 9, Baron 3.42, Smarthink, Skipper no progress, and many interesting others. A pity the greatly interesting LCZero is still a private experiment for few elected people...[/quote

In general, I feel fortunate to live in these times. We can watch TCEC around the clock, download free top engines, and interact with other fans in real time.

I still remember waiting for Fidelity to release a unit that would not make me want to laugh (or cry) on reaching the endgame. And then I wondered if I would be able to afford it (or should). Then I discovered Larry's Computer Chess Reports and felt really happy that there actually were other people as into it all as I was.

Again, we are fortunate to live in these special times for our hobby. A good reminder to offer thanks to all who have selflessly contributed to it. I for one am very grateful.

So, big thanks to all authors, tournament directors, and other contributors!

Cheers,
PK
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

kasinp wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:Stockfish 9, Cfish 9, Baron 3.42, Smarthink, Skipper no progress, and many interesting others. A pity the greatly interesting LCZero is still a private experiment for few elected people...[/quote

In general, I feel fortunate to live in these times. We can watch TCEC around the clock, download free top engines, and interact with other fans in real time.

I still remember waiting for Fidelity to release a unit that would not make me want to laugh (or cry) on reaching the endgame. And then I wondered if I would be able to afford it (or should). Then I discovered Larry's Computer Chess Reports and felt really happy that there actually were other people as into it all as I was.

Again, we are fortunate to live in these special times for our hobby. A good reminder to offer thanks to all who have selflessly contributed to it. I for one am very grateful.

So, big thanks to all authors, tournament directors, and other contributors!

Cheers,
PK
In the late 80s I had a chess computer and always wondered why it played horrible in the endgame.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
thunderstruck

Post by thunderstruck »

Where can I download Skipper no progress?

Thanks in advance.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

thunderstruck wrote:Where can I download Skipper no progress?

Thanks in advance.
I was just waiting for someone who noted that. :lol:

Just to continue with some sane humour, there was SkipperZero - no progress, and there's Skipper infinite - no progress now. Both forks of the main engine Skipper...

BTW, I'm really curious to know how it could work without a NN and, in any case, I hope to see "Skipper - progresses"! :wink:
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

kasinp wrote:In general, I feel fortunate to live in these times. We can watch TCEC around the clock, download free top engines, and interact with other fans in real time.
Me too.

We are still missing someone providing live commentary for engine-engine matches, we already could have it in a platform like Youtube or Twitch, but nobody has jumped to do it yet.

You'd just need to stream, or restream some of the things that are being streamed now.
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:Stockfish 9, Cfish 9, Baron 3.42, Smarthink, Skipper no progress, and many interesting others. A pity the greatly interesting LCZero is still a private experiment for few elected people...
I believe it was Brian Wilson who said, "And we'll have fun fun fun...".
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Dann Corbit wrote:
Rodolfo Leoni wrote:Stockfish 9, Cfish 9, Baron 3.42, Smarthink, Skipper no progress, and many interesting others. A pity the greatly interesting LCZero is still a private experiment for few elected people...
And Richard Pijl always wrote me "Have fun!" every time he sent me a new beta. A single lifetime is too little for having all that fun. 8-)
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
Dann Corbit wrote:
And Richard Pijl always wrote me "Have fun!" every time he sent me a new beta. A single lifetime is too little for having all that fun. 8-)
I always liked Amyan releases by Antonio Dieguez because he would always say,
"Just Amyan."
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
Henk

Post by Henk »

thunderstruck wrote:Where can I download Skipper no progress?

Thanks in advance.
There is no progress in making that possible.