Stockfish 9

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

mcostalba

Stockfish 9

Post by mcostalba »

I am pleased to announce that Stockfish 9 is out.

You can download the offical builds from here https://stockfishchess.org/download/

I would like to thank all the amazing people that made this release possible. All our testers and our developers, all the people that donate CPU time through fishtest (thank you! You are amazing) and a special thank to Daylen, our webmaster, and to the people contributing to the final optimized builds:

- BMI2: Thomas Zipproth
- POPCNT: Vah
- 64-bit: Vah
- 32-bit: Kiran Panditrao

SF 9 should improve about 45 ELO in self-play compared to SF 8, but because now we set contempt by default, we could expect something better in rating lists that use games among different engines to measure ELO.

Another visible change is the merge of the latest version of Ronald de Man Tablebases code, that is now better at detecting and reporting mate scores instead of TB scores.

Thank you again to all the people that contributed to this release: you did a great job!
mehmet karaman

Re: Stockfish 9

Post by mehmet karaman »

Many thanks to you and all Stockfish team for this great engine.
mcostalba

Stockfish 9

Post by mcostalba »

And here is the well deserved list of contributors to this release with the number of committed patches:

Code: Select all

In total 291 changes have been merged since SF 8 corresponding to 49 files changed, 4269 insertions(+), 4201 deletions(-)

15  Alain Savard
     1  Andrey Neporada
     1  AndyGrant
     1  Ali AlZhrani
     6  Aram Tumanian
     1  Ben Koshy
    24  Bill Henry
     1  Brian Sheppard
     2  Chris Cain
     1  Daniel Dugovic
     3  ElbertoOne
     1  Fabian Beuke
     2  Fabian Fichter
     2  FauziAkram
     2  Gian-Carlo Pascutto
     1  Goodkov Vasiliy Aleksandrovich
     1  Gontran Lemaire
     3  GuardianRM
     1  Guy Vreuls
     8  Günther Demetz
     6  Ivan Ivec
     2  Jan Ondruš
     2  Jonathan Calovski
     4  Joona Kiiski
    65  Joost VandeVondele
     8  Jörg Oster
     6  Lucas Braesch
    47  Marco Costalba
     1  Michael Byrne
     7  Michael Stembera
     1  Mira
     2  Miroslav Fontán
     1  Mohammed Li
     1  Nathan Rugg
     1  Niklas Fiekas
     1  Pasquale Pigazzini
     1 Patrick Jansen
     6  Ronald de Man
     1  Sergei Antonov
     7  Stefan Geschwentner
     7  Stefano Cardanobile
    27  Stéphane Nicolet
     1  Tom Vijlbrief
     3  Torsten Franz
     1  basepr1me
     1  erbsenzaehler
     1  loco-loco
     2  mbootsector
     1  theo77186 
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

mcostalba wrote:And here is the well deserved list of contributors to this release with the number of committed patches:

Code: Select all

In total 291 changes have been merged since SF 8 corresponding to 49 files changed, 4269 insertions(+), 4201 deletions(-)

15  Alain Savard
     1  Andrey Neporada
     1  AndyGrant
     1  Ali AlZhrani
     6  Aram Tumanian
     1  Ben Koshy
    24  Bill Henry
     1  Brian Sheppard
     2  Chris Cain
     1  Daniel Dugovic
     3  ElbertoOne
     1  Fabian Beuke
     2  Fabian Fichter
     2  FauziAkram
     2  Gian-Carlo Pascutto
     1  Goodkov Vasiliy Aleksandrovich
     1  Gontran Lemaire
     3  GuardianRM
     1  Guy Vreuls
     8  Günther Demetz
     6  Ivan Ivec
     2  Jan Ondruš
     2  Jonathan Calovski
     4  Joona Kiiski
    65  Joost VandeVondele
     8  Jörg Oster
     6  Lucas Braesch
    47  Marco Costalba
     1  Michael Byrne
     7  Michael Stembera
     1  Mira
     2  Miroslav Fontán
     1  Mohammed Li
     1  Nathan Rugg
     1  Niklas Fiekas
     1  Pasquale Pigazzini
     1 Patrick Jansen
     6  Ronald de Man
     1  Sergei Antonov
     7  Stefan Geschwentner
     7  Stefano Cardanobile
    27  Stéphane Nicolet
     1  Tom Vijlbrief
     3  Torsten Franz
     1  basepr1me
     1  erbsenzaehler
     1  loco-loco
     2  mbootsector
     1  theo77186 
Thanx Marco and thanx to all the contributors for this great, free, open engine. Now Houdini 6 will have a serious challenger in season 2 of my tournament :D
schack

Post by schack »

This is another great moment in the momentous history of Stockfish, but I wonder, Marco, why contempt was left on in analysis mode by default? And why it's always contempt from White's perspective? This makes its use for analysis rather difficult for non-technical users.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

mcostalba wrote:I am pleased to announce that Stockfish 9 is out.

You can download the offical builds from here https://stockfishchess.org/download/

I would like to thank all the amazing people that made this release possible. All our testers and our developers, all the people that donate CPU time through fishtest (thank you! You are amazing) and a special thank to Daylen, our webmaster, and to the people contributing to the final optimized builds:

SF 9 should improve about 45 ELO in self-play compared to SF 8, but because now we set contempt by default, we could expect something better in rating lists that use games among different engines to measure ELO.

Another visible change is the merge of the latest version of Ronald de Man Tablebases code, that is now better at detecting and reporting mate scores instead of TB scores.

Thank you again to all the people that contributed to this release: you did a great job!
This is a little bit 45 ELO Please try in the future to increase the engine at about 100 Elo some.Unfortunately, the engine with a small 45 ELO stands in place and getting worse with its development.
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
mcostalba wrote:I am pleased to announce that Stockfish 9 is out.

This is a little bit 45 ELO Please try in the future to increase the engine at about 100 Elo some.Unfortunately, the engine with a small 45 ELO stands in place and getting worse with its development.
Yeah, they should go to Walmart and buy 100 elo there and put it in Stockfish. Problem solved :lol:
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

CMCanavessi wrote:Yeah, they should go to Walmart and buy 100 elo there and put it in Stockfish. Problem solved :lol:
Here is not a problem in buying only in doing.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

I am glad that they didn't let Alpha Zero stop them from moving forward.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
zullil
Full name: Louis Zulli

Post by zullil »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Please try in the future to increase the engine at about 100 Elo
I really don't think there was a pre-determined limit on what the developers tried to achieve. :wink:

But for Stockfish 10, you will be happy to hear that the entire development team is trying for an increase of 5000 Elo. Why aim low?