Stockfish 9

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

CMCanavessi

Re: Stockfish 9

Post by CMCanavessi »

Steve Maughan wrote:Hi Evert,
Evert wrote:I tried to add elo++ in my own code, but sadly it didn't help.
Clearly elo++ is only going to increment by 1. You need to add a for loop e.g.

Code: Select all

for&#40;i = 0; i < desired_improvement; i++) elo++;
That should do the trick :lol:

Steve
I thought elo++ was a programming language :lol:
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

CMCanavessi wrote:
Steve Maughan wrote:Hi Evert,
Evert wrote:I tried to add elo++ in my own code, but sadly it didn't help.
Clearly elo++ is only going to increment by 1. You need to add a for loop e.g.

Code: Select all

for&#40;i = 0; i < desired_improvement; i++) elo++;
That should do the trick :lol:

Steve
I thought elo++ was a programming language :lol:

elo++ is actually a bad coding habit. You should definently use ++elo. (Gave me +20 elo compared to elo++) :wink:
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

mcostalba wrote:I am pleased to announce that Stockfish 9 is out.

You can download the offical builds from here https://stockfishchess.org/download/

I would like to thank all the amazing people that made this release possible. All our testers and our developers, all the people that donate CPU time through fishtest (thank you! You are amazing) and a special thank to Daylen, our webmaster, and to the people contributing to the final optimized builds:

- BMI2: Thomas Zipproth
- POPCNT: Vah
- 64-bit: Vah
- 32-bit: Kiran Panditrao

SF 9 should improve about 45 ELO in self-play compared to SF 8, but because now we set contempt by default, we could expect something better in rating lists that use games among different engines to measure ELO.

Another visible change is the merge of the latest version of Ronald de Man Tablebases code, that is now better at detecting and reporting mate scores instead of TB scores.

Thank you again to all the people that contributed to this release: you did a great job!
&#128074; &#128077; Thank you Marco, Gary, Joona and of course, the original author of Glaurung, Tord! The team really ended the last 3 months on a high note, with some really nice patches for ELO gain and functionality with great collaboration being demonstrated and displayed. Stockfish is being well maintained and is in good hands. &#128522;
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

Guenther wrote:
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:I'm just not happy with Elo of the Stockfish engine. I think that this is a very poor result. The engine should not be officially released until Elo engine is around 100.
Well you are also released to this forum, despite we wished you would
create much better posts than last year. What can we do?
Easily The Post of the Month -- bravo, Günther!
Evert wrote:
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:simply I'm not satisfied with the program Elo. The growth of the Elo program is very weak.
I know, right?
I tried to add elo++ in my own code, but sadly it didn't help.
A close runner-up to the above.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

Guenther wrote:Well you are also released to this forum, despite we wished you would create much better posts than last year. What can we do?
Can you write what is going on because I do not understand what you mean.
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

corres wrote:
Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:
This is a little bit 45 ELO Please try in the future to increase the engine at about 100 Elo some.Unfortunately, the engine with a small 45 ELO stands in place and getting worse with its development.
Stockfish is an open project.
So if you are programmer expert, please help the developers of Stockfish to reach the growth of 100 Elo.
If you are a simple user only you have to give a very great Thanks! to them.
Wow, you are a man of mere "intelligence". Since when is 45 ELO not good? More importantly, Stockfish's contempt of 20 has given it about 60 ELO total over Stockfish 8. But the biggest point is that Stockfish is the strongest engine in the world. Period. AlphaZero aside - Stockfish stands above everything else. You are delusional to question what the community has achieved. Time is wasted trying to speak with sense and logic with you; nevertheless, it is quite funny to see the stupidity that has eroded some minds with emphatic garbage.
Krzysztof Grzelak

Post by Krzysztof Grzelak »

APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:Wow, you are a man of mere "intelligence". Since when is 45 ELO not good? More importantly, Stockfish's contempt of 20 has given it about 60 ELO total over Stockfish 8. But the biggest point is that Stockfish is the strongest engine in the world. Period. AlphaZero aside - Stockfish stands above everything else. You are delusional to question what the community has achieved. Time is wasted trying to speak with sense and logic with you; nevertheless, it is quite funny to see the stupidity that has eroded some minds with emphatic garbage.
Whether or not Stockfish is the strongest does not matter much. You may have delusions, because you think like other people do. What the community has achieved does not interest me. Elo is interested in me, not the community. I just saw that the strongest engine created by the community can not enter the final in the tournament TCEC.
lantonov

Post by lantonov »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:Elo is interested in me, not the community.
Elo is not interested in you
MikeGL

Post by MikeGL »

Thanks to Marco, the rest of SF team and those who provide the binaries and
those who provide cpu time for the testing.

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:I understand perfectly well, you just have to start and think about it all. Imagine such a scenario. The Stockfish 10 is born and I am 30 points more than its predecessor. You will think of Stockfish 10 and I have about 30 more pieces than its predecessor. And I think quite differently.
I think we have exactly the same mentality. I also told my child that her 2 inch increase in height is not acceptable in the past 5 months. But then I just realized growth and strength needs time and some expensive resources similar to cooking. No shortcuts.

Just like SF development requiring a lot of resources (ie programmers, skills, cpu time, etc).
I told my wife that a husband is like a fine wine; he gets better with age. The next day, she locked me in the cellar.
Evert

Post by Evert »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote: Whether or not Stockfish is the strongest does not matter much. You may have delusions, because you think like other people do.
"Mirror, mirror on the wall, who is the most deluded of us all?"
What the community has achieved does not interest me. Elo is interested in me, not the community. I just saw that the strongest engine created by the community can not enter the final in the tournament TCEC.
Think it through. If the strongest player would automatically win a tournament, there'd be no point in playing the tournament.