Diep 2.0

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
BrendanJNorman
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 pm
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Diep 2.0

Post by BrendanJNorman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:31 am

Hey Guys,

I just found this classic old engine in one of my old harddrives!

It works in Arena for games against me, but for tournaments it seems to crash every time.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Happy to share it if someone wants to have a look and solve this problem for me.

Very curious to see how this guy plays.

Brendan

BrendanJNorman
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 pm
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Diep 2.0

Post by BrendanJNorman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:03 am

SzG wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:Hey Guys,

I just found this classic old engine in one of my old harddrives!

It works in Arena for games against me, but for tournaments it seems to crash every time.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Happy to share it if someone wants to have a look and solve this problem for me.

Very curious to see how this guy plays.

Brendan
Hi Brendan,

Maybe making Arena restart after each game provides a solution, admittedly not a pleasant one.
Thanks Gabor.

I'll give it a try. 8-)

Sergio Martinez
Posts: 1769
Joined: Fri Oct 05, 2012 12:35 pm
Location: Spain
Contact:

Re: Diep 2.0

Post by Sergio Martinez » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:43 am

BrendanJNorman wrote:Hey Guys,

I just found this classic old engine in one of my old harddrives!

It works in Arena for games against me, but for tournaments it seems to crash every time.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Happy to share it if someone wants to have a look and solve this problem for me.

Very curious to see how this guy plays.

Brendan
Hi Brendan

Diep was a very interesting private engine. It's a pity Vincent did not make it public. I followed their tournaments and games and always wanted to use it in my tests.

As I have said many times, I value old engines very much because they were different from each other and because of their style of play.

If you can, use this engine that sure will make very interesting games :wink:

Best regards
Member of the CCRL Group. Write me if you want I test your engine.

BrendanJNorman
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 pm
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Diep 2.0

Post by BrendanJNorman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:52 am

Sergio Martinez wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:Hey Guys,

I just found this classic old engine in one of my old harddrives!

It works in Arena for games against me, but for tournaments it seems to crash every time.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Happy to share it if someone wants to have a look and solve this problem for me.

Very curious to see how this guy plays.

Brendan
Hi Brendan

Diep was a very interesting private engine. It's a pity Vincent did not make it public. I followed their tournaments and games and always wanted to use it in my tests.

As I have said many times, I value old engines very much because they were different from each other and because of their style of play.

If you can, use this engine that sure will make very interesting games :wink:

Best regards
I'll do my best Sergio. :wink:

Maybe some others could help us see if we can get it working also.

Link removed Diep is a commercial project

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 3015
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: Diep 2.0

Post by Guenther » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:18 am

BrendanJNorman wrote:
Sergio Martinez wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:Hey Guys,

I just found this classic old engine in one of my old harddrives!

It works in Arena for games against me, but for tournaments it seems to crash every time.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Happy to share it if someone wants to have a look and solve this problem for me.

Very curious to see how this guy plays.

Brendan
Hi Brendan

Diep was a very interesting private engine. It's a pity Vincent did not make it public. I followed their tournaments and games and always wanted to use it in my tests.

As I have said many times, I value old engines very much because they were different from each other and because of their style of play.

If you can, use this engine that sure will make very interesting games :wink:

Best regards
I'll do my best Sergio. :wink:

Maybe some others could help us see if we can get it working also.

Here's a link: XXX
To my best knowledge Diep 2.0 was a commercial version and the copyright was and still is only with Vincent Diepeveen,
who BTW always was a strong fighter against copright violations.

You should consider removing the download link and ask for permission from Vincent.
(It doesn't matter that it is from 2001 or 2002, if he wanted to make it avilable as freeware, he would have done it already)

Guenther
Current foe list count : [93]
http://rwbc-chess.de/chronology.htm

BrendanJNorman
Posts: 1415
Joined: Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:43 pm
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: Diep 2.0

Post by BrendanJNorman » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:24 am

Guenther wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:
Sergio Martinez wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:Hey Guys,

I just found this classic old engine in one of my old harddrives!

It works in Arena for games against me, but for tournaments it seems to crash every time.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Happy to share it if someone wants to have a look and solve this problem for me.

Very curious to see how this guy plays.

Brendan
Hi Brendan

Diep was a very interesting private engine. It's a pity Vincent did not make it public. I followed their tournaments and games and always wanted to use it in my tests.

As I have said many times, I value old engines very much because they were different from each other and because of their style of play.

If you can, use this engine that sure will make very interesting games :wink:

Best regards
I'll do my best Sergio. :wink:

Maybe some others could help us see if we can get it working also.

Here's a link: XXX
To my best knowledge Diep 2.0 was a commercial version and the copyright was and still is only with Vincent Diepeveen,
who BTW always was a strong fighter against copright violations.

You should consider removing the download link and ask for permission from Vincent.
(It doesn't matter that it is from 2001 or 2002, if he wanted to make it avilable as freeware, he would have done it already)

Guenther
Hi Guenther,

Are you serious? If Diep 2.0 was commercial (not private) and is no longer available for purchase, to aggressively persist with copyright protections is kind of petty (just my opinion. Can you imagine UbiSoft pursuing a lawsuit over CM3000? lol).

If you care about it so much, why not throw it online for $5?

People would still buy it (assuming it was stable).

Anyway, the link has been removed.

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 3015
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: Diep 2.0

Post by Guenther » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:36 am

BrendanJNorman wrote:
Guenther wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:
Sergio Martinez wrote:
BrendanJNorman wrote:Hey Guys,

I just found this classic old engine in one of my old harddrives!

It works in Arena for games against me, but for tournaments it seems to crash every time.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Happy to share it if someone wants to have a look and solve this problem for me.

Very curious to see how this guy plays.

Brendan
Hi Brendan

Diep was a very interesting private engine. It's a pity Vincent did not make it public. I followed their tournaments and games and always wanted to use it in my tests.

As I have said many times, I value old engines very much because they were different from each other and because of their style of play.

If you can, use this engine that sure will make very interesting games :wink:

Best regards
I'll do my best Sergio. :wink:

Maybe some others could help us see if we can get it working also.

Here's a link: XXX
To my best knowledge Diep 2.0 was a commercial version and the copyright was and still is only with Vincent Diepeveen,
who BTW always was a strong fighter against copright violations.

You should consider removing the download link and ask for permission from Vincent.
(It doesn't matter that it is from 2001 or 2002, if he wanted to make it avilable as freeware, he would have done it already)

Guenther
Hi Guenther,

Are you serious? If Diep 2.0 was commercial (not private) and is no longer available for purchase, to aggressively persist with copyright protections is kind of petty (just my opinion. Can you imagine UbiSoft pursuing a lawsuit over CM3000? lol).

If you care about it so much, why not throw it online for $5?

People would still buy it (assuming it was stable).

Anyway, the link has been removed.
Well, if you had known Vincent, who was very active in Talkchess long ago, you would know that he cares a lot for his very rights ;-)
(and it is not about an out of business company but about private marketing)
Whatever, the forum rules should be accepted and you signed to them.

You sure remember that there is a proper way for reviving old commercial or private versions. This was done e.g. by Frank Quisinsky
and other members here and led to freeware releases of old Nimzo, Zarkov...

Guenther
Current foe list count : [93]
http://rwbc-chess.de/chronology.htm

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 3015
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: Diep 2.0

Post by Guenther » Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:49 am

BrendanJNorman wrote:Hey Guys,

I just found this classic old engine in one of my old harddrives!

It works in Arena for games against me, but for tournaments it seems to crash every time.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Happy to share it if someone wants to have a look and solve this problem for me.

Very curious to see how this guy plays.

Brendan
I guess you run it as xboard (which it naturally is/was)?
Have you tried adding extra commands

Code: Select all

/xreuse /firstProtocolVersion 1
and

Code: Select all

/xreuse2 /secondProtocolVersion 1
for old xboard programs before xboard protocol 2 was existing?

(no idea how to add this in arena though, because I only use winboard and cutechess/cli - may be others can help here?)
Current foe list count : [93]
http://rwbc-chess.de/chronology.htm

User avatar
Guenther
Posts: 3015
Joined: Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:33 am
Location: Regensburg, Germany
Full name: Guenther Simon
Contact:

Re: Diep 2.0

Post by Guenther » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:45 pm

Gabor, do you have any idea when it was commercially available the first time (if at all)?
So far Diep was never listed as being available in all existing lists.

IIRC Frank always tried to persuade Vincent to release Diep, but did not succeed...

If it really was available as xboard program at one point in time I would like to add it to the chronolgy.

Guenther

Edit:

Wayback still his this site archived:
https://web.archive.org/web/20010406003 ... ss.com:80/

The entry 'updates' hints to an available release of Diep 2.0 for Windows,
but I guess this wasn't a version with xboard support included?
Current foe list count : [93]
http://rwbc-chess.de/chronology.htm

User avatar
Sylwy
Posts: 3358
Joined: Fri Apr 21, 2006 2:19 pm
Location: IASI (Romania) - the historical capital of MOLDOVA

Re:Works perfectly !

Post by Sylwy » Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:47 pm

BrendanJNorman wrote:Hey Guys,

I just found this classic old engine in one of my old harddrives!

It works in Arena for games against me, but for tournaments it seems to crash every time.

Does anyone know how to make it work?

Happy to share it if someone wants to have a look and solve this problem for me.

Very curious to see how this guy plays.

Brendan
Hi !
Works perfectly in Winboard GUI !
It's an atypical & superb XB engine. Needs a bit of work ! :lol:

Image

Locked