asmFish or McBrain

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4399
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: asmFish or McBrain

Post by Ovyron » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:54 am

MikeB wrote:amsfish is still king in my book.
Well, I have never found a use for a slightly faster SF, but I have found McBrain useful.

By the way, may I inquire about your avatar? Wondering why isn't it something like this?

Image

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 4411
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: asmFish or McBrain

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:44 am

Ovyron wrote:
MikeB wrote:amsfish is still king in my book.
Well, I have never found a use for a slightly faster SF, but I have found McBrain useful.

By the way, may I inquire about your avatar? Wondering why isn't it something like this?

Image
I worked on and off on Crafty with Bob Hyatt on for nearly 25 years. Was more of helper than anything else. Crafty will always have the most special place in my heart for chess engines and the Crafty avatar will be my avatar until the day I die. The colors by the way are Bob's university colors at UAB, the official colors are green and white, but gold is permissible as an accent color.

Their football helmet looks pretty good. :>)

Image

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4399
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: asmFish or McBrain

Post by Ovyron » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:14 am

Thanks for the info!

So how's Crafty development going anyway? Has it stopped?

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 4411
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: asmFish or McBrain

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:18 am

Ovyron wrote:Thanks for the info!

So how's Crafty development going anyway? Has it stopped?
Bob retired and is living the good life. As they say, a bad day fishing is better than good day at work, and I know he spends quite bit of time on his boat fishing. I have the final source on github and if Bob gets the bug , he knows he can call on me.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4399
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: asmFish or McBrain

Post by Ovyron » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:30 am

But Crafty's inception was a project invented so that other people could benefit from it, basically, to be what Stockfish had become.

Tord Romstad basically quit Glaurung/SF and left in in the hands of Marco Costalba, though many people were added to the credits after their large contributions. Later on Marco moved to the background leaving SF in community's hands.

Why doesn't someone pick up Crafty to continue the project? It's weird to see so many engines based on the Ippolit and Stockfish sources, but a classic like Crafty (Cray Blitz) is left to die?

I think that the best that can be done for the community when an author retires is to open source the project, but if it's going to be sitting there like Crafty, abandoned engines aren't a good precedent.

Note I'm talking about active development, not just maintenance releases (with Crafty 25.4 only being released if a big bug is found) or features like adjustable elo. Someone taking the engine and making it their own.

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 4411
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: asmFish or McBrain

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:52 am

Ovyron wrote:But Crafty's inception was a project invented so that other people could benefit from it, basically, to be what Stockfish had become.

Tord Romstad basically quit Glaurung/SF and left in in the hands of Marco Costalba, though many people were added to the credits after their large contributions. Later on Marco moved to the background leaving SF in community's hands.

Why doesn't someone pick up Crafty to continue the project? It's weird to see so many engines based on the Ippolit and Stockfish sources, but a classic like Crafty (Cray Blitz) is left to die?

I think that the best that can be done for the community when an author retires is to open source the project, but if it's going to be sitting there like Crafty, abandoned engines aren't a good precedent.

Note I'm talking about active development, not just maintenance releases (with Crafty 25.4 only being released if a big bug is found) or features like adjustable elo. Someone taking the engine and making it their own.
I'm not saying it's over ;>)

User avatar
MikeB
Posts: 4411
Joined: Thu Mar 09, 2006 5:34 am
Location: Pen Argyl, Pennsylvania

Re: asmFish or McBrain

Post by MikeB » Thu Jan 25, 2018 4:38 am

MikeB wrote:
MikeB wrote:amsfish is still king in my book.

Code: Select all

100 rounds and 100 games completed...
Time control: 900 seconds + 15.00 seconds
Target completion: 01/23/18 : 20:39:59
Date: 01/23/18 : 14:49:42
100 game(s) loaded
Rank Name                      Rating   Δ     +    -     #     Σ    Σ%     W    L    D   W%    =%   OppR 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   1 asmFishX_2018-01-22_popc   3103   0.0   22   22   100   51.0  51.0    7    5   88   7.0  88.0  3097 
   2 SF-McB v5.0 64 POPCNT      3097   6.7   22   22   100   49.0  49.0    5    7   88   5.0  88.0  3103 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Time to complete: 14:49:44
Kicked off a second run using a normal test suite - same tc, same links , first results in about 1-1/2 hours from this post or about 1AM EST (NY) time , updates on time s/b every 48 minutes - not the 1 hour it was last night. Also after every 10 games. as before. This run will be 126 games. Links will also have last night's run in case you missed them. The pgn file will only have tonight's games. Will take close to 20 hours to complete.
Round 2:

Code: Select all

126 rounds and 126 games completed...
Time control: 900 seconds + 15.00 seconds
Target completion: 01/25/18 : 00:06:10
Date: 01/24/18 : 19:58:23
126 game(s) loaded
Rank Name                      Rating   Δ     +    -     #     Σ    Σ%     W    L    D   W%    =%   OppR 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
   1 SF-McB v5.0 64 POPCNT      3103   0.0   25   25   126   64.0  50.8   13   11  102  10.3  81.0  3097 
   2 asmFishX_2018-01-22_popc   3097   5.3   25   25   126   62.0  49.2   11   13  102   8.7  81.0  3103 
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Time to complete: 20:32:14
So after 226 15 min/15 sec games with two cores, it is dead even. Which I'm actually pleased with considering the 20% delta in nps. I should talk to the asmfish guys ;>)

Post Reply