OpenTal 1.0 in a linux operating system

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pferd

Re: OpenTal 1.0 in a linux operating system

Post by pferd »

I took the Makefile from Rodent and put it into this package.

https://www.sendspace.com/file/wybykm

Unpack the package, go to the sources subdirectory.
Install g++ with sudo apt install g++
Type make clean && make gcc-popcnt-profiled and you should have a running version.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Thank you very much !

I'd like to tell you that I prefer version 1.0, as I tested it in Windows 10.

I'll try your version 1.1 again.
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Got this error message:

~/chess/engines/opental1.1/sources$ make clean && make gcc-popcnt-profiled
rm -rf opental opental.exe book_gen.h basic.ini *.profdata *.profraw *.gcda *.gcno coverage.info coveragedir
Type make help for additional options
g++ -g -std=c++14 -Wall -Wno-unknown-pragmas -O3 -fno-rtti -pthread -DNDEBUG -DUSEGEN -DUSE_THREADS -flto -msse3 -mpopcnt -fprofile-generate -s -Wl,--no-as-needed,--gc-sections -flto -o opental src/*.cpp
src/book.cpp: In member function ‘void sBook::OpenPolyglot()’:
src/book.cpp:374:54: warning: ignoring return value of ‘size_t fread(void*, size_t, size_t, FILE*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
fread(bookMemory, 16, bookSizeInEntries, bookFile);
^
src/uci_options.cpp:60:13: warning: ‘setvalue(int, int, bool)’ defined but not used [-Wunused-function]
static void setvalue(int ind, int val, bool isTable) {
^
src/util.cpp: In function ‘bool ChDir(const char*)’:
src/util.cpp:278:63: warning: ignoring return value of ‘ssize_t readlink(const char*, char*, size_t)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
readlink("/proc/self/exe", exe_path, sizeof(exe_path)); *(strrchr(exe_p
^
src/util.cpp:281:24: warning: ignoring return value of ‘int chdir(const char*)’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
chdir(exe_path); // go to the exe location, it's for relative paths
^
Illegal instruction
Makefile:70: recipe for target 'gcc-popcnt-profiled' failed
make: *** [gcc-popcnt-profiled] Error 132
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
styx

Post by styx »

look at post 3 by Antonio Arias Orzanco
Michael Sayers

Post by Michael Sayers »

styx wrote:Download Opental 1.1 64-Bit Linux Version*:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf8541xvaeo72 ... ar.xz?dl=0

*Fixed the compiler errors thanks to Antonio, also fixed the malformed UCI ID-String
Thanks for the replies! It still hasn't been possible to get a version of OpenTal working on the linux system. Even the UCI of version 1.0 or 1.1 doesn't work with Arena in wine, and neither does Rodent III - it seems to be an issue with these three engines which are new to me as all other UCI engines I've used over the previous ten years on the system work fine. I wish there could be a solution apart from redoing the system with a split hd boot partition (one for linux, the other for Windows) but maybe fdisk with a boot cd and total rewrite is the only way to go. It is OpenTal 1.0 that is most wanted, btw. Thanks again!
styx

Post by styx »

Michael Sayers wrote:
styx wrote:Download Opental 1.1 64-Bit Linux Version*:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zf8541xvaeo72 ... ar.xz?dl=0

*Fixed the compiler errors thanks to Antonio, also fixed the malformed UCI ID-String
Thanks for the replies! It still hasn't been possible to get a version of OpenTal working on the linux system. Even the UCI of version 1.0 or 1.1 doesn't work with Arena in wine, and neither does Rodent III - it seems to be an issue with these three engines which are new to me as all other UCI engines I've used over the previous ten years on the system work fine. I wish there could be a solution apart from redoing the system with a split hd boot partition (one for linux, the other for Windows) but maybe fdisk with a boot cd and total rewrite is the only way to go. It is OpenTal 1.0 that is most wanted, btw. Thanks again!
It's hard to believe that it's an issue with the engine itself. What's the CPU in your computer and what operating system do you use? Maybe you use binaries that depend on instructions which your CPU does not support.

If you are not sure, here is how to obtain these informations:

Code: Select all

sudo lshw -C cpu

uname -a
Scally
Full name: Alan Cooper

Post by Scally »

Hi,

They all Compile and run perfectly on the arm7 32bit Raspberry Pi running Linux Debian Stretch.

Cheers,

Al.