Schooner Version 1.8

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: bob, hgm, Harvey Williamson

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
D Sceviour
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by D Sceviour » Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:14 pm

pkumar wrote:I get a "Failed - Virus detected" message.
That is disturbing. There is a possibility. The file extensions have now become .8_32 and .8_64. These are likely to be unrecognized extensions in Windows 10. I could try renaming the engines:

schooner1_8_32
schooner1_8_84

However, the file name itself has become corrupt especially since the T. Poppins repack did not work.

Or try the desired:

schooner1.8_32.exe
schooner1.8_84.exe

Other programmers have reported no problems with this method in .zip folders. Bob Hyatt stopped issuing Crafty executables perhaps because of these types of problems.
If this only happens on Windows 10 then then I suggest you hack your Windows 10 and force downloads. If it happens on other operating systems then I am not sure. It still downloads fine on my Windows 7. Linux users have reported no difficulties. Another possibility is to rename them:

schooner_1_8_31.bin
schooner_1_8_64.bin

I cannot test these on my system since the existing .zip downloads fine. My backup system is Linux and works as well. The .rar or .7z format could also be tried. I am open to any suggestions from the chess community on the proper naming and compressing of files.

pkumar
Posts: 93
Joined: Tue Oct 15, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by pkumar » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:18 pm

D Sceviour wrote:
pkumar wrote:I get a "Failed - Virus detected" message.
That is disturbing. There is a possibility. The file extensions have now become .8_32 and .8_64. These are likely to be unrecognized extensions in Windows 10. I could try renaming the engines:

schooner1_8_32
schooner1_8_84

However, the file name itself has become corrupt especially since the T. Poppins repack did not work.

Or try the desired:

schooner1.8_32.exe
schooner1.8_84.exe

Other programmers have reported no problems with this method in .zip folders. Bob Hyatt stopped issuing Crafty executables perhaps because of these types of problems.
If this only happens on Windows 10 then then I suggest you hack your Windows 10 and force downloads. If it happens on other operating systems then I am not sure. It still downloads fine on my Windows 7. Linux users have reported no difficulties. Another possibility is to rename them:

schooner_1_8_31.bin
schooner_1_8_64.bin

I cannot test these on my system since the existing .zip downloads fine. My backup system is Linux and works as well. The .rar or .7z format could also be tried. I am open to any suggestions from the chess community on the proper naming and compressing of files.
I have windows 7 with Avira and MS Security Essentials. Trying with Linux seems a good idea.

D Sceviour
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by D Sceviour » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:27 pm

pkumar wrote:I have windows 7 with Avira and MS Security Essentials. Trying with Linux seems a good idea.
There is little more I can do. The folder scans virus free at my end. Try turning off Avira.

Norbert Raimund Leisner
Posts: 1601
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 2:57 pm
Location: Augsburg - Germany

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner » Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:42 pm

https://virusscan.jotti.org/en-US is perhaps another possibility for a virus-check
-in French, Spanish, German language etc. available too

Norbert

tpoppins
Posts: 919
Joined: Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:11 pm
Location: upstate

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by tpoppins » Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:43 pm

D Sceviour wrote:The repack is obviously a problem and I would not have suggested it.
I fail to see how the repack was a problem but I removed the file.
D Sceviour wrote:Other programmers have reported no problems with this method in .zip folders. Bob Hyatt stopped issuing Crafty executables perhaps because of these types of problems.
Not quite. He specifically stated that the reason was that there were too many platforms/OS versions to accommodate.

D Sceviour
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by D Sceviour » Tue Jan 23, 2018 9:41 pm

tpoppins wrote:
D Sceviour wrote:The repack is obviously a problem and I would not have suggested it.
I fail to see how the repack was a problem but I removed the file.
The repack did not solve the problem. I had difficulty using MediaFire and stopped trying to grab the file. I have no experience using MediaFire, but thank you for trying anyway.

D Sceviour
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by D Sceviour » Wed Aug 29, 2018 11:54 am

Schooner v1.8.3 is updated. This will be the last version using the gcc 5.2 platform. There is no strength increase but a few known bugs are fixed.

https://sites.google.com/site/schoonerchess/home

COMING SOON: Schooner 2

The latest version of Schooner is a complete re-write in the C language. A beta version is being tested on the ICS with very good results.

http://talkchess.com/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=68291

Most of the old features are still there including xboard protocol, ICS support, polyglot book and pondering. Some of the new features will be:

(1) A new gcc v7.2.0-posix compilation. It has increased the speed of the program.

(2) Now using staged-move generation. It is a more complex form of move generation. All of the top engines use some form of staged-move generation now. Staged move generation is new for me so I am not completely comfortable with it yet and do not know what can be done and what cannot be done.
Schooner used a full legal move list generator as an alternative to staged-move generation. This had several advantages. Some of the problems when designing a chess engine arise because we do not know what is in the full move list. A very good move could occur but due to pruning, the move is never discovered or played. Schooner used a full-width search hash flag to indicate that the move list has been searched at least once. Thus, Schooner had several useful routines including hash refutation, PVS Lite and Oracle sort that no longer work with staged move generation and excessive pruning.

(2) The end of PVS Lite. Schooner used a special routine called PVS Lite, which greatly reduced the number of researches. It required an initial open window search, but could never be fine-tuned for aspiration (or threading). It has been replaced with a modified version of Ethereal's aspiration search (thank you to Andrew Grant for the idea).

(3) The end of Oracle sort? Oracle sort quickly discovered good captures. This has been replaced with ProbCut (made popular by Stockfish). ProbCut seems to work better with staged-move generation, but experiments are still going on in the beta version.

(4) Hash refutation no longer works and no replacement has been discovered yet.

(5) The personality book has been dropped. It served useful purpose in the development stages of the engine. However, it does not do much with polyglot and other GUI books available.
For polyglot book users, there is an experimental book_personality random number being considered which allows the polyglot pickbest/random mode to be toggled. This can be useful in matches to prevent continual losses to the same opening.

(6) Syzygy end game table base may be supported. There still seem to be some optimization problems. Expectations for strength increase are only 5-15 elo so it still has not been decided whether to include this. Still doing beta tests on the ICS. Mainly, it increases the size of the program.

(7) A simple UCI interface has been added for those who find an advantage. However, all the best features are still inside the xboard protocol including polyglot book, pondering, and ICS support.

The style of the search is greatly changed with staged-move generation and increased pruning. No longer does the engine find the best move. Now the engine only finds a move good enough to win. This is the classic depth versus width problem in chess engines. Stylistically, I prefer the wider search because it solves more problems and plays a more "human" style" game that is understandable. However, the latest version of Schooner 2 will have much higher elo rating.

Gabor Szots
Posts: 247
Joined: Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:43 am
Location: Szentendre, Hungary
Full name: Gabor Szots

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by Gabor Szots » Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm

I am looking forward to the new version.

BTW, when mentioning 5-15 Elo benefit from syzygy bases, do you mean 5- or 6-man ones?
Gabor Szots
CCRL testing group

User avatar
Graham Banks
Posts: 33015
Joined: Sun Feb 26, 2006 9:52 am
Location: Auckland, NZ

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by Graham Banks » Wed Aug 29, 2018 8:59 pm

Gabor Szots wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm
I am looking forward to the new version.
Me too! :P
My email addresses:
gbanksnz at gmail.com
gbanksnz at yahoo.co.nz

D Sceviour
Posts: 449
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2015 3:06 pm
Contact:

Re: Schooner Version 1.8

Post by D Sceviour » Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:59 pm

Gabor Szots wrote:
Wed Aug 29, 2018 4:13 pm
I am looking forward to the new version.

BTW, when mentioning 5-15 Elo benefit from syzygy bases, do you mean 5- or 6-man ones?
The 5-15 elo figure was suggested by Graham Banks (probably for 5-pieces). I do not have the 6-piece set downloaded yet.

Post Reply