Winter Released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

jorose
Full name: Jonathan Rosenthal

Winter Released

Post by jorose »

I am open sourcing my (so far) private UCI engine Winter. Before getting into any further details I would like to thank everyone on this forum and all the contributors to the Chess Programming Wiki as you have greatly aided me in my little project. I would further like to thank the authors of open source chess projects, especially the authors of Stockfish (which are at fault for me loving templates), the authors of cutechess and HGM, for his enumerable contributions to the chess world. I would also like to thank Jonas Kuratli and Jonathan Maurer whom I will again mention in a paragraph about Winter's origins.

I develop and play with Winter exclusively on Linux. If you are on Linux you can clone the git repo and call "make" or "make no_bmi" in order to build the engine. Keep in mind that the program expects to find the params and search_params directories containing the evaluation and search parameters respectively.

If you are on Windows or OSX I assume compilation shouldn't be too hard as the source does not rely on any libraries aside from STL which is used extensively (including std::thread in order to poll for input), however you may need to do a bit more work to get things running and I really am not an expert.

General Features
  • Rating Guesstimate: 2500 CCRL (a bit less wouldn't surprise me)
  • Exclusively relies on STL
  • Nice print command =)
  • Perft command
  • UCI protocol
  • Single threaded search, so it is quite stable
Search Features
  • Alpha Beta search with PVS
  • Fail hard framework... Not completely strict about it.
  • Move ordering is based on the linear part of a Logistic Regression classifier
    • The classifier is trained via temporal difference learning to predict whether a move will return beta
    • Classifier considers TT moves, killers, move types, move source and destinations, capture targets, SEE for interesting moves, square of the last move piece, checks and changes between forcing and unforcing moves (a capture is more likely after another capture)
  • Null Move Reductions
  • Static Null Move Pruning
  • Quiescence Search
  • Static Exchange Evaluation
  • Late Move Reductions
  • Futility Pruning
Evaluation Features
  • Non standard approach
  • Relies on a mixture model
    • Assumes positions encountered in search come from some set of k Gaussians
    • Mixture model is trained via EM algorithm either on database games or positions sampled from search
    • For each Gaussian a separate evaluation function is trained. When the evaluation function is called the relative probability a position stems from each Gaussian is estimated, the evaluation functions are computed and the final score is returned as the weighted average.
  • Parameter weights are trained via a mixture of reinforcement (temporal difference) learning and supervised learning
    • Pure supervised learning leads to a significantly weaker engine (around 50 elo iirc... been a while since I last tested this)
    • Pure temporal difference learning wouldn't work how I have it implemented at the moment, but I imagine should be beneficial
    • We are minimizing the cross entropy loss of a Logistic Regression model for each of the k Gaussians. I also tried an Ordered Logit Model with equivalent strength.
    • Training converges very fast as we have a linear model at the heart
  • Parameters focus more on piece play and activity and not so much on the endgame and pawn structures. This leads to Winter loving very active play and speculative material sacrifices being extremely common.
  • Modular code structure makes it very easy to add new parameters
Engine Origin: Winter started its live as a group project in a university course on parallel computing. Despite this Winter is not a parallel engine! Jonas Kuratli, Jonathan Maurer and I set out to try to write a barebones chess engine that would always return an equivalent result as a minimax search to the same depth. Our goal was then to parallelize this engine and to be able to directly compare time to depth results. At the time we had a rather natural way of splitting the work since I was significantly more interested in chess and had previous chess programming experience. I wrote the majority of the codebase while my friends focused much more time on the (more difficult) parallel programming and testing portion of the codebase. While one of the first things I did was after forking the engine was remove the parallel portion of the code, I am sure small parts of their work can still be found in different parts of the code. Specifically I can recall Jonas writing the original version of the SetBoardFen function and Jonathan working on the TT code.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: Winter Released

Post by Paloma »

Thanks for your work, very interessting project.
A new young Engine Programmer, I am curious to see what the further development will be.
8-)
CMCanavessi

Post by CMCanavessi »

Awesome! Contratz on your first release! Too bad there's no Windows binaries. If you ever release them, or if someone else compiles the engine I'll gladly put it in my tournament for Season 2. With a 2500 rating it will fight comfortably for the high spots in the entry league 8-)

Edit: I see that you haven't given a version number yet, is it still a development version?

Code: Select all

const std::string engine_name = "Winter";
42	const std::string engine_version =
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks so much Jonathan. Looking forward to including Winter in my tournaments. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
jorose

Post by jorose »

The release is kind of an arbitrary point in time with respect to development. I feel in order to call it a 1.0 release I would have to be able to send a copy to my chess playing friends who are all reliant on Windows or OSX releases. Fortunately one friends was able to compile it without any issues on OSX and the probability has grown that I will have a Windows binary very soon as well, so I am holding off with the Github release feature for now.
jorose

Post by jorose »

As a small update a friend of mine (thanks again Julian Croci!) compiled Winter without issues on OSX. I added an OSX binary in the source directory for now until I use the Github release feature, however for OSX, if you have a compiler installed I recommend just cloning the directory and calling "make" or "make no_bmi" in order to generate a binary for your own system.

When I saw the output of "go infinite" on my friends system it looked reasonable, however slightly different than when I run it on my own. I am still investigating the cause for this and it would be cool if someone with a Mac could confirm that it is still playing on a level which isn't completely unexpected (eg it should be handily crushing any sub 2000 human or engine in most games).

Finally, I might have a Windows compile soon as well in which case I would tag this release in Github as v1.0 Beta =)
Daniel Shawul

Post by Daniel Shawul »

This is a very interesting engine to me especially with the unique approach taken in the evaluation.

Being a university project, I should ask if there is a paper/document that explains the mixture model and the EM training ?

Thanks
Daniel
jorose

Post by jorose »

While it did originate as a university project, it had long ceased to be by the time I added the mixture model and EM algorithms. That being said, here are some links you might find useful.

While implementing the EM algorithm I myself relied on these notes from the University of California Irvine.

I recommend first reading into the K-means algorithm, if you are unaware of that, before getting into that. This link from Stanford explains the K-means algorithm. I am not content with how Wikipedia describes GMMs as I feel the lacking visual representation would make it much easier. Instead I recommend reading some of the slides from this set of slides from an MIT lecture. Note that I only briefly skimmed both of these links now as I learned about these algorithms well before working on Winter and I don't think the slides presented in those lectures are actually publicly available.
jorose

Windows version released

Post by jorose »

I added a Windows version today. It would be cool if some of you could confirm it is indeed working.

There are some caveats under windows unfortunately:

In my brief testing I was getting at least 50% more NPS on Linux compared to Windows. A bit of a performance penalty was expected, but losing that much feels extreme. Perhaps someone else has a suggestion?

The Windows version is hilariously huge, just comparing the zip file for OSX (138 KB) with the Windows one (4.8 MB) it's fairly extreme. I imagine this is due to compiling with -static, but I am not sure how to circumvent this. I suppose this point and the previous one are linked.

It seems unicode characters are apparently still too state of the art for out of the box Windows support, so unfortunately my print commands are quite useless. I suspect Windows users won't spend much time in a console however, so I don't intend to invest any energy on this in the near future.

Finally a point I only just realized was that my perft_test command doesn't work on my Windows machine. I am not certain why this doesn't work, but as long as everything else works I am fine with that, as it is mostly just a feature for people compiling the engine themselves.
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Re: Windows version released

Post by Guenther »

jorose wrote:I added a Windows version today. It would be cool if some of you could confirm it is indeed working.

There are some caveats under windows unfortunately:

In my brief testing I was getting at least 50% more NPS on Linux compared to Windows. A bit of a performance penalty was expected, but losing that much feels extreme. Perhaps someone else has a suggestion?

The Windows version is hilariously huge, just comparing the zip file for OSX (138 KB) with the Windows one (4.8 MB) it's fairly extreme. I imagine this is due to compiling with -static, but I am not sure how to circumvent this. I suppose this point and the previous one are linked.

It seems unicode characters are apparently still too state of the art for out of the box Windows support, so unfortunately my print commands are quite useless. I suspect Windows users won't spend much time in a console however, so I don't intend to invest any energy on this in the near future.

Finally a point I only just realized was that my perft_test command doesn't work on my Windows machine. I am not certain why this doesn't work, but as long as everything else works I am fine with that, as it is mostly just a feature for people compiling the engine themselves.
Well some people still use cmd sometimes on Win ;-)
Here is the raw output from initial position with default settings for 'go depth 15' on my old quadcore with Win7-64 Ultimate:
(the result in this run equals ~ 378.76 kn/s)

Code: Select all

uci
id name Winter Beta 0.1
id author Jonathan Rosenthal
option name Hash type spin default 32 min 1 max 104576
uciok
go depth 15
info  depth 1 seldepth 1 time 0 nodes 21 score cp 23 pv e2e3
info  depth 2 seldepth 3 time 3 nodes 162 score cp 4 pv d2d4 d7d5
info  depth 3 seldepth 7 time 6 nodes 454 score cp 19 pv d2d4 d7d5 g1f3
info  depth 4 seldepth 10 time 12 nodes 1576 score cp 4 pv d2d4 d7d5 g1f3 g8f6
info  depth 5 seldepth 12 time 22 nodes 3679 score cp 14 pv d2d4 d7d5 g1f3 g8f6
b1c3
info  depth 6 seldepth 13 time 44 nodes 10271 score cp 4 pv d2d4 d7d5 g1f3 g8f6
b1c3 b8c6
info  depth 7 seldepth 19 time 138 nodes 43942 score cp 10 pv d2d4 d7d5 b1c3 g8f
6 c1f4 g7g5 f4g5
info  depth 8 seldepth 19 time 263 nodes 89198 score cp 4 pv d2d4 d7d5 b1c3 g8f6
 g1f3 b8c6 c1f4 c8f5
info  depth 9 seldepth 21 time 463 nodes 163684 score cp 15 pv d2d4 d7d5 b1c3 g8
f6 g1f3 b8c6 c1f4 c8f5 e2e3
info  depth 10 seldepth 22 time 1028 nodes 378670 score cp 6 pv d2d4 d7d5 b1c3 b
8c6 e2e4 g8f6 f2f3 g7g6 e4e5 f6h5
info  depth 11 seldepth 24 time 1978 nodes 743982 score cp 14 pv d2d4 d7d5 b1c3
g8f6 c1f4 b8c6 e2e3 a7a6 f1d3 g7g6 g1f3
info  depth 12 seldepth 24 time 4027 nodes 1535005 score cp 6 pv d2d4 d7d5 b1c3
g8f6 c1f4 c7c5 g1f3 c5d4 f3d4 b8c6 h2h3 d8a5
info  depth 13 seldepth 27 time 7910 nodes 3019184 score cp 13 pv d2d4 d7d5 b1c3
 g8f6 c1f4 c7c5 g1f3 b8c6 e2e3 c5c4 f1e2 d8b6 d1c1
info  depth 14 seldepth 32 time 23677 nodes 8951954 score cp 7 pv d2d4 d7d5 c2c4
 d5c4 e2e4 c7c6 f1c4 g8f6 c4d3 e7e5 d4e5 f6g4 b1c3 g4e5
info  depth 15 seldepth 34 time 60326 nodes 22849233 score cp 13 pv d2d4 d7d5 c2
c4 d5c4 g1f3 g8f6 b1c3 c7c6 c1f4 b7b5 a2a3 g7g6 e2e3 h7h5 g2g3
bestmove d2d4
BTW as you can see it still calls itself 0.1 beta and not 0.11 (beta).
Thanks for the 'old' cpu release!

Guenther
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Talkchess nowadays is a joke - it is full of trolls/idiots/people stuck in the pleistocene > 80% of the posts fall into this category...