MillionBase 2017

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: Harvey Williamson, bob, hgm

Forum rules
This textbox is used to restore diagrams posted with the [d] tag before the upgrade.
User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5670
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

MillionBase 2017

Post by Rebel » Fri Jan 05, 2018 4:48 pm

MillionBase 2017 - 2.9 million quality chess games in PGN format. The 2 yearly TWIC update, added 350.000 new games from the years 2016 and 2017. Database up to date till January 2018.

http://rebel13.nl/download/pgn.html

Frank Quisinsky
Posts: 5155
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:16 pm
Location: Trier, Germany
Contact:

Re: MillionBase 2017

Post by Frank Quisinsky » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:07 pm

Hello Ed,

so many years you do so many things for us.
Time to say thanks again ... on the other site ... I say it now 100x in the last 30 years.

But 101 times to say thanks is in your case more as fully OK.

Best
Frank
I like computer chess!

kasinp
Posts: 206
Joined: Sat Dec 02, 2006 9:47 pm
Location: Toronto

Re: MillionBase 2017

Post by kasinp » Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:13 pm

Rebel wrote:MillionBase 2017 - 2.9 million quality chess games in PGN format. The 2 yearly TWIC update, added 350.000 new games from the years 2016 and 2017. Database up to date till January 2018.

http://rebel13.nl/download/pgn.html
Thank you sir! :)

Peter

Dariusz
Posts: 109
Joined: Sat Jun 13, 2015 8:08 am
Location: Poland

Re: MillionBase 2017

Post by Dariusz » Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:19 pm

Ed, thx :-)
Regards, Dariusz

Leo
Posts: 967
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: USA/Minnesota
Full name: Leo Anger

Re: MillionBase 2017

Post by Leo » Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:45 pm

What does PGN mean? What does a person do with this database?
Advanced Micro Devices fan.

User avatar
Ovyron
Posts: 4393
Joined: Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:30 am

Re: MillionBase 2017

Post by Ovyron » Fri Jan 05, 2018 11:16 pm

Leo wrote:What does PGN mean?
Portable Game Notation. It's a text format that allows you to store chess games, most chess GUIs will read the format, allow you to browse and load games, and get statistings from the moves played.
Leo wrote: What does a person do with this database?
It depend on your needs. If you don't have a need for a 2.9 million games database, you wouldn't do anything with it.

jdart
Posts: 4011
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:23 am
Location: http://www.arasanchess.org

Re: MillionBase 2017

Post by jdart » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:00 am

ICCF also has a lot of correspondence games available, although you have to sign up as a member to access the archive (http://www.iccf.com).

--Jon

Leo
Posts: 967
Joined: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:55 pm
Location: USA/Minnesota
Full name: Leo Anger

Re: MillionBase 2017

Post by Leo » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:02 am

Ovyron wrote:
Leo wrote:What does PGN mean?
Portable Game Notation. It's a text format that allows you to store chess games, most chess GUIs will read the format, allow you to browse and load games, and get statistings from the moves played.
Leo wrote: What does a person do with this database?
It depend on your needs. If you don't have a need for a 2.9 million games database, you wouldn't do anything with it.
OK. Thanks for your help.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.

User avatar
Rebel
Posts: 5670
Joined: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:04 am

Re: MillionBase 2017

Post by Rebel » Sat Jan 06, 2018 12:37 am

Leo wrote:
Ovyron wrote:
Leo wrote:What does PGN mean?
Portable Game Notation. It's a text format that allows you to store chess games, most chess GUIs will read the format, allow you to browse and load games, and get statistings from the moves played.
Leo wrote: What does a person do with this database?
It depend on your needs. If you don't have a need for a 2.9 million games database, you wouldn't do anything with it.
OK. Thanks for your help.
Try SCID and find out - https://sourceforge.net/projects/scidvspc/

Michael Sherwin
Posts: 3196
Joined: Fri May 26, 2006 1:00 am
Location: WY, USA
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Re: MillionBase 2017

Post by Michael Sherwin » Sat Jan 06, 2018 1:45 am

Rebel wrote:MillionBase 2017 - 2.9 million quality chess games in PGN format. The 2 yearly TWIC update, added 350.000 new games from the years 2016 and 2017. Database up to date till January 2018.

http://rebel13.nl/download/pgn.html
Hi Ed, Thank you for this! I have a question though. By what method or standard is the quality judged? If I could have my wish it would only be 1 million games or even much less if the quality of every single game was of the highest quality. There can be bad mistakes by one side as long as the other side took advantage of the mistakes, etc.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through

Post Reply