Stockfish could have drawn all ten (10) games ...

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pilgrimdan

Stockfish could have drawn all ten (10) games ...

Post by pilgrimdan »

here's the youtube link ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGypfNUXM2U

International Master Erik Kislik ...
shrapnel

Re: Stockfish could have drawn all ten (10) games ...

Post by shrapnel »

All Sticks-in-the-mud still in shock. :roll:
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Indeed, Chess from the initial position is a draw. I once lost 10 games against Stockfish, and when I later analyzed them, it turned out I could have drawn rhem all, if I had only done the good moves.
kasinp
Full name: Peter Kasinski

Post by kasinp »

hgm wrote:Indeed, Chess from the initial position is a draw. I once lost 10 games against Stockfish, and when I later analyzed them, it turned out I could have drawn rhem all, if I had only done the good moves.
In fairness the IM was trying to be more specific: "white should be able to hold provided he stops all threats" :).

Quite hilarious,
PK
kranium

Post by kranium »

hgm wrote:Indeed. I once lost 10 games against Stockfish, and when I later analyzed them, it turned out I could have drawn them all...
LOL
:lol:
Pio

Post by Pio »

I think you are wrong. You could probably have won at least a couple of them :)
CheckersGuy

Post by CheckersGuy »

pilgrimdan wrote:here's the youtube link ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGypfNUXM2U

International Master Erik Kislik ...
Saw that video a couple of days ago and almost fell off my chair :lol: One does not have to be smart to be an IM
Geonerd

Post by Geonerd »

CheckersGuy wrote: Saw that video a couple of days ago and almost fell off my chair :lol: One does not have to be smart to be an IM
:D
Ovyron

Post by Ovyron »

hgm wrote:Indeed, Chess from the initial position is a draw. I once lost 10 games against Stockfish, and when I later analyzed them, it turned out I could have drawn rhem all, if I had only done the good moves.
The horizon effect is huge and what I have seen is that latest Stockfish isn't better at this than a Stockfish 500 ELO weaker.

You can analyze games at home and think you could have drawn your games if you played such and such moves. In practice, if you are against Stockfish again, in the same positions, and you play the moves that supposedly would have drawn, the chances are high that you will still lose...

The problem here is that we don't have A0 to analyze A0's games, it could just pull out some amazing move out of thin air that refutes the analysis and it's outside everyone's horizon.