In chess,AlphaZero outperformed Stockfish after just 4 hours

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

From the document - In chess, AlphaZero outperformed Stockfish after just 4 hours. How believable is that?

I believe it as written
54%
I am sceptic
30%
I don't (can't) believe it
12%
I am undecided
4%

Total votes: 69

Werewolf

Re: In chess,AlphaZero outperformed Stockfish after just 4 h

Post by Werewolf »

acase wrote: I suspect they just cherry picked the 10 best games that their program played without showing the ones where it might have made some buffoonish moves.
Or, worse, there were repeats in the 28 wins. Even in the 10 games they showed some looked quite similar.
Rebel

Post by Rebel »

mjlef wrote: neural networks are like your brain.
A NN is filled with data driven by an algorithm with a goal, then when filled it is used by another algorithm to do the specific things the programmer had in mind.
mjlef wrote:No one had to tell you piece square table values to play better chess. they learn from experience, finding and exploiting patterns in the data.
We learn driven by intelligence, a NN is just stupid data -- without any intelligence -- the intelligence is of the programmer who created the data. No NN learns by intelligence.
mjlef wrote:And why do polls on facts? Whether we believe or do not believe, a fact is a fact. If you feel google made it up, then ask for proof. Taking opinion polls on facts among people without the information to verify them or not is not getting us closer to truth. Maybe a poll about was the match fair?
What facts?

It's a biased paper.

What people choose to believe aren't necessarily facts.

BTW, you are late moving in, maybe you can comment on some of my posts. And for the record - I am in follow_the_money_mode :wink:
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

Perhaps 'intelligence' is just stupid data? But a lot of it?
Dirt

Post by Dirt »

mjlef wrote:Maybe a poll about was the match fair?
We had one of those. The membership was nearly equally divided, just as they are so far in this poll.
Deasil is the right way to go.
acase
Full name: Andrew R Case

Post by acase »

Werewolf wrote:
acase wrote: I suspect they just cherry picked the 10 best games that their program played without showing the ones where it might have made some buffoonish moves.
Or, worse, there were repeats in the 28 wins. Even in the 10 games they showed some looked quite similar.

Good point Carl, and one I didn't think about.