Can't get Jim Ablett's compile of Viper to work

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Michael Sherwin
Full name: Michael Sherwin

Can't get Jim Ablett's compile of Viper to work

Post by Michael Sherwin »

Viper won't work for me in windows 10 under Arena. Is there something I need to do or is it a compatability issue with windows 10? I tried to set Viper compatibility setting to Windows 7. Thanks.
If you are on a sidewalk and the covid goes beep beep
Just step aside or you might have a bit of heat
Covid covid runs through the town all day
Can the people ever change their ways
Sherwin the covid's after you
Sherwin if it catches you you're through
pferd

Re: Can't get Jim Ablett's compile of Viper to work

Post by pferd »

Maybe you could try this one

https://www.sendspace.com/file/cooamd

Generated it under Linux with gcc. I could connect to Windows gui using wine. Did not test it with arena though!
Michael Sherwin

pferd wrote:Maybe you could try this one

Generated it under Linux with gcc. I could connect to Windows gui using wine. Did not test it with arena though!
Yes, thank you, it works. Did you modify the source to get it to work or is it just because you did not use MSVC on a Windows 10 os?
Dann Corbit

Post by Dann Corbit »

Michael Sherwin wrote:
pferd wrote:Maybe you could try this one

Yes, thank you, it works. Did you modify the source to get it to work or is it just because you did not use MSVC on a Windows 10 os?
If he built it on a Posix platform, it is using pthreads instead of Microsoft synchronization objects. He probably did a cross compile and a static link.

Anyway, I think that the straight Windows compile is broken. It hangs in an event object for me, and does not accept any commands.
Taking ideas is not a vice, it is a virtue. We have another word for this. It is called learning.
But sharing ideas is an even greater virtue. We have another word for this. It is called teaching.
pferd

Post by pferd »

Dann Corbit wrote: If he built it on a Posix platform, it is using pthreads instead of Microsoft synchronization objects. He probably did a cross compile and a static link.
That's what I did. I changed the O2 flag into O3 but left everything else unchanged.

I tried some fancy stuff with using clang as cross compiler but that binary did hang, too.
Michael Sherwin

Dann Corbit wrote:
If he built it on a Posix platform, it is using pthreads instead of Microsoft synchronization objects. He probably did a cross compile and a static link.

Anyway, I think that the straight Windows compile is broken. It hangs in an event object for me, and does not accept any commands.
I would like to be able to compile it myself with the tools that I know how to use. Are you going to be working on it?

Alternatively, I could turn either of my two perft examples into material searchers without to much trouble, I suppose. One is named Conundrum in C and does a perft 6 in 3.423 seconds, 36,532,083 nps. The other is named Godzilla in assembler and does a bench 6 in 1.974 seconds, 63,348,185 nps. Both are single thread. And I do not have the fastest i7 by far. Then if I can make them smp! Almost forgot Halfwit in C and bitboard and does perft 6 in 5.025 , 24,883,420 nps.