Stockfish_savehash performance in a corr tourn game

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rodolfo Leoni

Re: Stockfish_savehash performance in a corr tourn game

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Leto wrote:And just to make things clearer, here's how I get it to work on Fritz 15 GUI:

1. Set hashtable size to 2048.

2. Copy paste the Rodolfo game from the start of this thread into your Fritz 15 GUI.

3. After white's move 41.Rd7 start your infinite analysis, go forward one move at a time spending a few seconds on each move until you get to move 56.b6. Now go backwards one move at a time spending a few seconds on each move until you get to move 44.Rxd4. You will notice the engine is now suggesting 44...Rxh3. So play 44....Rxh3 as an alternative line, then 45.b4 g5 46.b5 and now your engine sees this is winning for white.

Analyse backwards to 44.Rxd4 and continue analysing backwards one move at a time a few seconds per move until you reach 43.a3. Now the engine is suggesting 43...Kf8 so play that as an alternative line. While on infinite analysis play the following 44.b4 Ke8 45.Qxe5+ Rxe5 46.Rd3 Re7 47.c4 f5 48.c5 Rc7 49.Rf3 Kd7 50.Kc3 Rc6 51.Kd4 and your engine should now see that white is winning.

So analyse backwards and when you get to 44.b4 the engine might suggest 44...Qxd4+ so play that as an alternative and then play 45.Rxd4 Ke7 46.c4 Rxh3 and now the engine should see black is losing. So analyse backwards to 43.a3 and continue analysing backwards one move at a time a few seconds per move until you get back to 41.Rd7, your engine should no longer be suggesting 41...Qe8 and will probably suggest either 41...Rc5 or 41...h6. If you play 41...Qe8 it should immediately show that black is down a few pawns.

Now hit Change Main Engine, Advanced, Engine Parameters, and on the field marked HashFile name it rodolfo.hsh and then hit the SaveHashToFile. After a while you should see rodolfo.hsh in the folder you placed the engine in. Now whenever you come back to this 41.Rd7 position all you have to do is hit Change Main Engine, Advanced, Engine Parameters, and type in rodolfo.hsh on the HashFile field and then hit the LoadHashFromFile button, after a while when it finishes loading the engine will know that 41...Ke8 is bad and you'll know that the hash learning is working properly.

If you were to try doing this with a regular Stockfish you would lose all that analysis when you close the engine. Now that you know how to set this special Stockfish version up properly you can save hashfiles for any analysis that you do in the future.
A perfect step by step description. I think knowledge of English language is excellent, at Dune planet! ;)

I'm doing this for each game I'm playing, with one hash file per opponent.
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
cdani

Post by cdani »

+1
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

cdani wrote:+1
All of that is possible thanks to your work! :D

I'm having a lot of fun. I finished six games, +3 =3 -0, and I'm currently playing eight. Four of them agains ICCF IMs. I've a clear advantage vs. three of them, and the fourth game is still in book.

Thanks!!!!
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
cdani

Post by cdani »

Rodolfo Leoni wrote:
cdani wrote:+1
All of that is possible thanks to your work! :D

I'm having a lot of fun. I finished six games, +3 =3 -0, and I'm currently playing eight. Four of them agains ICCF IMs. I've a clear advantage vs. three of them, and the fourth game is still in book.

Thanks!!!!
Nice!! :-)