Chess Insight new app for Mac

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

adams161
Full name: Mike Adams

Re: Chess Insight new app for Mac

Post by adams161 »

That was the other main reason i was interested in buying it. It appeared to be done very stylishly as kind of a information manager meant more for study. I was am curious how it worked and felt.
purechess
Full name: Heinrich Pulliter

Post by purechess »

If Chess Insight uses Stockfish....then Chess Insight must be released under a GPL V3 license too.

Therefore your should provide a link to your project source code (at least on request).

Can you provide a link to your project source code?
ljgw
Full name: Laurens Winkelhagen

Post by ljgw »

purechess wrote: Fri Jan 25, 2019 12:55 pm If Chess Insight uses Stockfish....then Chess Insight must be released under a GPL V3 license too.

Therefore your should provide a link to your project source code (at least on request).

Can you provide a link to your project source code?
That probably depends on how Chess Insight uses Stockfish. If he somehow altered Stockfish and dynamically links with it, then he should at least release the source of the modified stockfish. However, if stockfish is started as a separate process, then the stockfish license has nothing to say about the Chess Insight program. See: https://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.en ... GPLPlugins
Can I release a nonfree program that's designed to load a GPL-covered plug-in? (#NFUseGPLPlugins)

If they form a single combined program then the main program must be released under the GPL or a GPL-compatible free software license, and the terms of the GPL must be followed when the main program is distributed for use with these plug-ins.

However, if they are separate works then the license of the plug-in makes no requirements about the main program.

Author of JanWillem (C, WB, inactive) and FrankWalter (Java, WB, https://github.com/ljgw/frankwalter)