Komodo 11.2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Re: Dynamism in Komodo 11.2

Post by peter »

mjlef wrote: The present Dynamism is not tied to a specific side. It inflates or deflates a number of dynamic parts of the eval, without changing the more static evaluation features. So it is symmetric.
Thanks for explaining, Mark!
:idea:
Peter.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

peter wrote:Thanks for explaining, Mark
In my opinion, Dynamism is best left at 80.
Anything more and Komodo just becomes over-ambitious and weak.
More Dynamism does nothing positive for Komodo, in my experience ; unless you are playing against a very weak player using a non-stockfish Engine.
Against Stockfish or its clones, more Dynamism is just plain Suicide !
You're better off fiddling with the other Parameters to improve ELO, leaving Dynamism at 80.
Upto you...
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

shrapnel wrote:
More Dynamism does nothing positive for Komodo, in my experience ; unless you are playing against a very weak player using a non-stockfish Engine.
You're better off fiddling with the other Parameters to improve ELO, leaving Dynamism at 80.
Upto you...

Do you play at a wide range of time controls? We have found sometimes best setting change based on the time control. So it would be interesting to see what you have used.

Mark
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

shrapnel wrote:
Upto you...

???Default Dynamism is 120, not 80.
Komodo rules!
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

lkaufman wrote:???Default Dynamism is 120, not 80.
...in Komodo 11.2. Yes, I know that.
I never said that 80 was the Default Setting.
But I still say that 80 is the ideal Setting for Dynamism. Anything below or above is no good and is detrimental to Engine Performance.
Other Settings I'm not too sure of and as Mr Lefler says, may depend upon Time Controls used.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

shrapnel wrote:
lkaufman wrote:???Default Dynamism is 120, not 80.
...in Komodo 11.2. Yes, I know that.
I never said that 80 was the Default Setting.
But I still say that 80 is the ideal Setting for Dynamism. Anything below or above is no good and is detrimental to Engine Performance.
Other Settings I'm not too sure of and as Mr Lefler says, may depend upon Time Controls used.
You said "left at 80", which implies that the default is 80. But never mind that. I'm working on Dynamism right now (coincidentally). 80 agrees more or less with my subjective opinion of what makes for sensible evals, but it clearly loses elo points in game play vs 120 (or even 130) at bullet or blitz levels. So my question to you is what time limit do you refer to in your statement, and is your opinion based on results, or on seeing poor moves, or on seeing questionable evals? It is also possible that the number of threads running makes a difference for Dynamism.
Komodo rules!
cma6

Post by cma6 »

LK:
If my memory is correct, when Dynamism was first introduced, I was using about 93 for that parameter for very long time controls. This must have been based on your recommendation at the time.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

lkaufman wrote: You said "left at 80", which implies that the default is 80.
Granted. My bad.
I usually play at 4'+2'' or 5'+1" on Infinity Chess or while Testing on Arena GUI. No time nowadays for my favorite LTC games.
Yes, my opinion is mostly based on results, but yes, sometimes I've observed that Komodo shows a over-optimistic evaluation which changes later.
Number of Threads is 8 because I use 8-Core Processors.
I've tried HT ON also, but using 12-14 Threads doesn't really seem to make a positive difference.
Nordlandia

Post by Nordlandia »

Anil V Dharan: tell me the reason for not using Fritz 15.

My impression is that Infinity Chess is an artificial version of Fritz.
Graham Banks

Re: Komodo 11.2

Post by Graham Banks »

lkaufman wrote:.......I'd bet a lot of money on any match between 11.2 and Houdini 5 at any reasonable time control.
http://talkchess.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=64666
gbanksnz at gmail.com