Arasan 20.2

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Rodolfo Leoni

Re: Arasan 20.2

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

And, of course, thanks Jon for this new Arasan!
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

Hello Rodolfo,

i am fine thanks, well i am still working and tuning Tornado to improve it about +100 elo to get near 3000 elo wall :-)

but have not much success what i am tried, many things what i test fails and lose around 50-100 elo instead to get about 50 elo

would be fine if someone helping me to improve Tornado just only 100 elo :-)

i am really depressed at the moment....
Engin

Post by Engin »

what i forget is that some engine authors are like Martin Sedlak, Peter Österlund with his Texel method allready helped me to implement them in my source, also many testers of this chess community to find bugs.

i would thanks to all of them, thank you :-)

more helping from others engine authors or testers to a better Tornado later would be fine too :-)

otherwise if i can not really make any progress i will give up more or less in the feature my work on Tornado.... :-(
Rodolfo Leoni

Post by Rodolfo Leoni »

Engin wrote:Hello Rodolfo,

i am fine thanks, well i am still working and tuning Tornado to improve it about +100 elo to get near 3000 elo wall :-)

but have not much success what i am tried, many things what i test fails and lose around 50-100 elo instead to get about 50 elo

would be fine if someone helping me to improve Tornado just only 100 elo :-)

i am really depressed at the moment....
Don't feel depressed for a hobby! :)

Maybe, I could run some tests and I can tell you my impressions. It's not a great help, but it's what I can do.

Later

Rodolfo
F.S.I. Chess Teacher
Engin

Post by Engin »

would be fine many thanks in advance.
jdart

Post by jdart »

why its not allowed take ideas to implement them in closed source project too
Arasan is actually under the MIT license, so its source can be used as a basis for both closed source and and open source projects.

--Jon
Engin

Post by Engin »

aha, ok then i can use some ideas from Arasan ?
jdart

Post by jdart »

Ideas, certainly.

And you can re-use the code under the terms of the license: https://github.com/jdart1/arasan-chess/ ... icense.txt

--Jon
Evert

Post by Evert »

Engin wrote: ok, second what i want to say here, why it is everything allowed take ideas from open sources to implement them in open sources again and why its not allowed take ideas to implement them in closed source project too, everybody is complain and declare that taked ideas from SF or other strong engines as a "clone" or "derived from X

Why is taking ideas WRONG ?
It isn't.
What people complain about is forking Stockfish (say), not following the relevant licence and claiming they did all the work by themselves.
it is ok to me study and take only ideas from engine X or sharing ideas between others engines, just only not copy whole source or most of them.
Exactly.
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

AdminX wrote:
Lyudmil Tsvetkov wrote:I used to play a lot with early versions of Arasan years ago, when the engine had very limited king safety, and winning on a slow computer was easy, but now winning against most of the engines of Arasan level is a bit of a challenge.

excuse me for the stupid question, quite probably I have missed some information available somewhere, but where does the name of the engine derive from? (my first thought would be an Indian tribal head...)
Arasan FAQ wrote:
What does "Arasan" mean?

Arasan means "king" in Tamil, a language spoken in South India and Sri Lanka. It is related to the Sanskrit word "raja." The Arasan website header has "Arasan" written in Tamil script.
thanks Ted.

I hope Jon will excuse me, but with so many strong engines, and especialy the availability of SF, it is easy to skip some engine/info from time to time.

as I did not read it one way or another, is Jon Tamil/Indian? (not native one, of course)