2017 World Computer Software Championship 2017

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

JJJ

Re: 2017 World Computer Software Championship 2017

Post by JJJ »

TCEC is the true world championship. Can't wait to see it back.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

If Komodo can't even beat Jonny or Shredder, what hope does it have against Stockfish ?
The Results just confirm my suspicion that the latest Official version of Komodo is one of the weakest ever.
Almost no one is using it on Infinity Chess.
Even I've stopped experimenting with the Settings.
No two ways about it, Komodo needs urgent updates.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
arunsoorya1309

Post by arunsoorya1309 »

Was all engines using equal hardware
Uri Blass

Post by Uri Blass »

shrapnel wrote:If Komodo can't even beat Jonny or Shredder, what hope does it have against Stockfish ?
The Results just confirm my suspicion that the latest Official version of Komodo is one of the weakest ever.
Almost no one is using it on Infinity Chess.
Even I've stopped experimenting with the Settings.
No two ways about it, Komodo needs urgent updates.
1)Komodo did not lose a single game.
2)There were not enough games to decide about the best program in the tournament.

3)Shredder is known to do relatively better in world championships maybe because of better choice of book moves against the right opponents.

Even before stockfish Shredder was often the winner of world championship when shredder did not lead rating lists and maybe they knew in the championship better what is the right opening to use.

4)I doubt if we know the strength of Shredder and Jonny that played in the tournament and they may versions that the authors still did not release.

Nothing in the results prove that komodo is weaker than previous versions of komodo.

I guess that Komodo is weaker than stockfish but it does not mean the latest version of komodo is one of the weakest ever.

Uri
Harvey Williamson
Full name: Harvey Williamson

Post by Harvey Williamson »

below are all the pairings. You can watch games live by substituting WCCC for wcsc in all the links.

Engin
Full name: Engin Üstün

Post by Engin »

by the way... why did Hiarcs not played ?

i had allready registered my self with Tornado as 8th participate for the WCSC but later i decide not to play because even on equal hardware if i do playing anyway then will be Komodo, Shredder and Jonny took the first 3 places, so i did not have interested for the 4th place ...... so canceled my registration again.

Engin Üstün
mjlef

World Computer Chess Championship 2017

Post by mjlef »

You can find the live games, including chat, here:

http://toernooien.krabbenbos.org/LiveWCCC2017.html

The pairings and current standings are here:

http://toernooien.krabbenbos.org/WCCC2017/
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Uri Blass wrote:1)Komodo did not lose a single game.
2)There were not enough games to decide about the best program in the tournament.

3)Shredder is known to do relatively better in world championships maybe because of better choice of book moves against the right opponents.

Even before stockfish Shredder was often the winner of world championship when shredder did not lead rating lists and maybe they knew in the championship better what is the right opening to use.

4)I doubt if we know the strength of Shredder and Jonny that played in the tournament and they may versions that the authors still did not release.
Uri
1. "Komodo did not lose a single game". Oh really ? Then maybe Shredder also did not win a single game ? So how did they decide Shredder was the Winner of the Tournament ?
I have 5 Theories, choose one
(a) They Tossed a Coin...Heads Shredder wins, Tails Komodo loses. Fair enough ?
(b) Tournament Director was Brother-in-law of Shredder Developer.
(c) Tournament Director was Maternal Uncle of Shredder Developer.
(d) Shredder and Jonny Developers gave larger Bribes to the Tournament Director than Komodo Team.
(e) Tournament Director played an improvised version of "Inky Pinky Ponky" to decide the Winner.
2. " Not enough games". That hoary old chestnut ! Are there EVER enough games ?
3. "Better choice of Book ". What's preventing Komodo people from doing the same ? Or is having a "Better choice of Book" somehow a bad thing that should reflect negatively on Shredder ?
Please enlighten me.
4. "Unreleased versions". So what ? What's preventing Komodo team from playing a un-released version ? Do you know for sure they didn't ?
From what I understand, Komodo Team has lots of Developmental versions which they don't even give to their loyal Subscribers.
Surely they would have tried their best to win the Tournament, which would have resulted in an increase in their Sales revenue.
Or maybe you're suggesting that Komodo team felt it was beneath their dignity to try and win a Tournament in which Stockfish and Houdini were absent ?
Your arguments/excuses border on the Ridiculous !
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

shrapnel wrote:
Uri Blass wrote:1)Komodo did not lose a single game.

Uri
1. "Komodo did not lose a single game". Oh really ? Then maybe Shredder also did not win a single game ? So how did they decide Shredder was the Winner of the Tournament ?
I have 5 Theories, choose one
(a) They Tossed a Coin...Heads Shredder wins, Tails Komodo loses. Fair enough ?
(b) Tournament Director was Brother-in-law of Shredder Developer.
(c) Tournament Director was Maternal Uncle of Shredder Developer.
(d) Shredder and Jonny Developers gave larger Bribes to the Tournament Director than Komodo Team.
(e) Tournament Director played an improvised version of "Inky Pinky Ponky" to decide the Winner.
2. " Not enough games". That hoary old chestnut ! Are there EVER enough games ?
3. "Better choice of Book ". What's preventing Komodo people from doing the same ? Or is having a "Better choice of Book" somehow a bad thing that should reflect negatively on Shredder ?
Please enlighten me.
4. "Unreleased versions". So what ? What's preventing Komodo team from playing a un-released version ? Do you know for sure they didn't ?
From what I understand, Komodo Team has lots of Developmental versions which they don't even give to their loyal Subscribers.
Surely they would have tried their best to win the Tournament, which would have resulted in an increase in their Sales revenue.
Or maybe you're suggesting that Komodo team felt it was beneath their dignity to try and win a Tournament in which Stockfish and Houdini were absent ?
Your arguments/excuses border on the Ridiculous !
Typical rants from you on the border to insulting (I may add: as usual and all in line with your posting history).

There are no excuses necessary it's plain and simple stats - often told - often repeated - always true, still some don't get it.
Six games have no statistical meaning and still people can enjoy such tournaments, w/o running crazy.

Guenther

Edit:
It is also quite simple to prove your Komodo hate agenda from dozens of your posts, but I spare you that...
https://rwbc-chess.de

trollwatch:
Chessqueen + chessica + AlexChess + Eduard + Sylwy
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Guenther wrote:[It is also quite simple to prove your Komodo hate agenda from dozens of your posts, but I spare you that...
Awfully BIG of you....I'm overwhelmed.
By the way, YOUR "Hate agenda" is also quite obvious.