ChessBase Online App for Android

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Norbert Raimund Leisner

ChessBase Online App for Android

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Hello,

Peter Schreiner from CB-support told me that you cannot use all UCI engines in combination with https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... id.chessdb

The entry of support-database refers to Fritz 15 and the user interfaces of the pc chessprograms and ChessBase 13/14.

Nein , man kann nicht alle UCI Engines in Kombination mit der App benutzen. Der Eintrag in der Supportdatenbank bezieht sich auf Fritz 15 und die Benutzerschnittstellen der PC Schachprogramme und ChessBase 13/14.

Best wishes,
Norbert
Nordlandia

Re: ChessBase Online App for Android

Post by Nordlandia »

What is the likely reason for Chessbase App to not recognize any other installed engines?
styx

Post by styx »

It seems to be true. You can choose between Stockfish 8, Fritz 14 and Komodo 8/9 as far as i can tell (and I bet the more recent Komodo engines will also work).

But for example Texel - although using Open Exchange Format like Komodo - is not usable. I don't know what the idea behind this decision is.

If you consider buying Chessbase Online please note two of the biggest disappointments of this app:

1. You cannot choose a specific date: only the desired year can be specified when searching for a game

2. It's not possible to sort the search results in any way (not even "after year"). The results will be scattered in the list without any logical order. This might be because of performance reasons.

Everything else is pretty good. And it's a lot more stable than the Google Play Store reviews suggest (tested on 3 devices, no crashes).
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Nordlandia wrote:What is the likely reason for Chessbase App to not recognize any other installed engines?
The usual thing with Chessbase: vendor lock-in. What else would you expect from a company that has a history with customer-hostile things like floppy based limitation of installations?! Even coming up with such ideas requires a really awkward corporate mentality.

Only that these days with Fritz being far from the top, it tends to work as customer lock-out. But changing corporate mentality is hard.