My New AMD Rzyen 1800X System

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

shrapnel

My New AMD Rzyen 1800X System

Post by shrapnel »

Hi
FINALLY managed to get my Second System up and running, after cherry-picking parts from various online sellers.
Bit tedious, but was fun in a way.
Finally got all the parts together, crossed my fingers, sent up a Prayer to the Computer Gods and fired her up !
Happy to say that all went well.
Also, I think I was lucky enough to got a reasonably good Chip... easy overclocking through BIOS, reached 3.9 GHz all Cores easily with just 1.25-1.30 Core Voltage...keeping it at 1.3 V just to ensure stability.
Not even trying for 4+ GHz as the folks over at overclock.net say that this requires a big jump in voltage with more heat production...simply not worth it for a few Hertz.
Really liking it, as it seems to run real cool compared to my I7 5960X...surprising thing is that it stays around 50 ° C even when playing an online Engine-Engine match !
Using a Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 Cooler with 2 fans, which seems to be as awesome as advertised ; seems to me that its better than the Corsair H100i liquid cooling running on my Intel System.
Anyway, here are a few shots :-

i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Thomas Lagershausen

Re: My New AMD Rzyen 1800X System

Post by Thomas Lagershausen »

Congratulations to your perfect chess-pc.

What is the mainboard of your system?
TL
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

ASUS of course, ASUS Prime X370-PRO.
Always found ASUS more reliable, generally speaking, compared to MSI and Gigabyte.
Few more shots of my new baby
:)
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

Anil,
could you please post some KNs for say latest stockfish using 1 and 8 threads?
Also could you please try crafty 25.2 using 1 and 8 threads and post the KNs?
Sorry for bugging you with these requests but I'm really curious about these two engines (specially crafty since the latest version is supposed to have very good scaling with core increase).
Another question, suppose I buy 32 GB RAM 2x16GB DIMMS with the intent of adding in the future another 32Gb to get 64GB. If I buy exactly the same kits the second time should I be free of memory issues right?
Being a very new platform I'm full of doubts.

best regards,
Alvaro
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="shrapnel"]
Hi FINALLY managed to get my Second System up and running, after cherry-picking parts from various online sellers.
Bit tedious, but was fun in a way.
Finally got all the parts together, crossed my fingers, sent up a Prayer to the Computer Gods and fired her up !
Happy to say that all went well.
Also, I think I was lucky enough to got a reasonably good Chip... easy overclocking through BIOS, reached 3.9 GHz all Cores easily with just 1.25-1.30 Core Voltage...keeping it at 1.3 V just to ensure stability.
Not even trying for 4+ GHz as the folks over at overclock.net say that this requires a big jump in voltage with more heat production...simply not worth it for a few Hertz.
Really liking it, as it seems to run real cool compared to my I7 5960X...surprising thing is that it stays around 50 ° C even when playing an online Engine-Engine match !
Using a Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 Cooler with 2 fans, which seems to be as awesome as advertised ; seems to me that its better than the Corsair H100i liquid cooling running on my Intel System.
Anyway, here are a few shots :-

[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/5ozbt3.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i68.tinypic.com/28tffi9.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

I also congratulate you.
And I also ask you to repeat Fritz Benchmark for your First System:
i7 5960x.
It will be higher than Relative Performance of Ryzen 1800x but it is obvious that 60 of Relative Performance does not belong to 3500 MHz as you marked before...
A note:
Relative performance of my Ryzen 1800x 8x4000 MHz is about as yours.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

Congratulations. I am glad you had a flexible mind when it came to Advanced Micro Devices. A lot of us are curious how it performs for you.
Advanced Micro Devices fan.
Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Try it with SF or Komodo against your 5960 on same positions, both 16 threads. Fritz benchmark is a bit outdated (I am stating this here for the 5th time or so).
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Hi Anil,

I'm jealous!

If you have time, could you do me a big favor.

I'm the author of Maverick. I'm curious to know how fast Maverick will run on a top Ryzen chip (although it only uses 1 core).

Would it be possible to download Maverick and run it? Then simply type "bench". This will run some bench searches and report a time and nps. I really appreciate it if you could post these number,

You can download Maverick here:

https://www.chessprogramming.net/downloads/

Thanks,

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
corres

Post by corres »

[quote="Steve Maughan"]

Hi Anil,

I'm jealous!

If you have time, could you do me a big favor.

I'm the author of Maverick. I'm curious to know how fast Maverick will run on a top Ryzen chip (although it only uses 1 core).

Would it be possible to download Maverick and run it? Then simply type "bench". This will run some bench searches and report a time and nps. I really appreciate it if you could post these number,

You can download Maverick here:

[url]https://www.chessprogramming.net/downloads/[/url]

Thanks,

Steve

[/quote]

Hi, Steve!

Your Maverick64 produced
nps = 3095905
total time = 29250 milliseconds
Values are rather stable.

My rig is:
Ryzen 7 1800x
SMT (~HT) = DISABLED
CPUs clock = 8x4000MHz
OS = Windows 7 64bits.

Regards
Robert
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Thanks Robert!

The result is a little disappointing :cry:

On my 2.6 GHz / 3.2 GHz boost mode i7-6700HQ laptop it completes the benchmark in 35500 milliseconds for a nps of 2551 knps. I was hoping the Ryzen's single core performance would be a little better,

Thanks again for running this,

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine