My New AMD Rzyen 1800X System

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Tom Likens

Re: My New AMD Rzyen 1800X System

Post by Tom Likens »

It's always gratifying to have people use something you helped build and find it useful.
I'm glad you like the Ryzen system. It's why I became an engineer! :D

Please keep us posted on your progress.

regards,
--tom
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Cardoso wrote:Anil,
could you please post some KNs for say latest stockfish using 1 and 8 threads?
Also could you please try crafty 25.2 using 1 and 8 threads and post the KNs?
Sorry for bugging you with these requests but I'm really curious about these two engines (specially crafty since the latest version is supposed to have very good scaling with core increase).
best regards,
Alvaro
Stockfish 8 Threads Benchmark
Stockfish 1 Thread Benchmark:-
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Steve Maughan wrote:Hi Anil,

I'm jealous!

If you have time, could you do me a big favor.

I'm the author of Maverick. I'm curious to know how fast Maverick will run on a top Ryzen chip (although it only uses 1 core).

Would it be possible to download Maverick and run it? Then simply type "bench". This will run some bench searches and report a time and nps. I really appreciate it if you could post these number,

You can download Maverick here:

https://www.chessprogramming.net/downloads/

Thanks,

Steve
Here you go...
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Hi Anil,

Many thanks. Quite close to the other bench results,

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

Many thanks for the post Anil,
sorry but could you do the same for crafty 25.2?
It is a YBWC engine but with good smp scaling.
And I'm very curious about 1 and 8 threads KNs with crafy.

best regards,
Alvaro
cma6

My New AMD Rzyen 1800X System

Post by cma6 »

" AMD Ryzen 7 1800X @3.9 GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2400 G.Skill RAM, ASUS Prime x370-PRO, Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 Cooler."

Anil: congratulations on being a successful Ryzen pioneer for Chess!
What were some of your other key components: case; videocard; Windows 10?

Also, on the O/C of 1800X, if you are practically limited to 4.0GHz, do you have any idea if your Ryzen system does infinite analysis any better (or how much faster) then your i7 5960X @ 4.5 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM ?
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

cma6 wrote:" AMD Ryzen 7 1800X @3.9 GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2400 G.Skill RAM, ASUS Prime x370-PRO, Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 Cooler."

Also, on the O/C of 1800X, if you are practically limited to 4.0GHz, do you have any idea if your Ryzen system does infinite analysis any better (or how much faster) then your i7 5960X @ 4.5 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM ?
Thank You.
I use Windows 10 64-Bit, though I would have preferred to stick with Windows 8.1.
I read on the overclock.net Forums something about Microsoft not supporting anything below Windows 10 on Ryzen Systems.
Anyway, Windows 10 seems to be OK, not giving me any problems.
I use the Zotac Geforce 1060 GTX Mini Card. It occupies much less space and consumes much less Power than the regular Geforce Cards.
Maybe that's one of the reasons my System remains much cooler even while overclocking , compared to many Ryzen owners on the overclock.net forums.
Also, everyone sneers at Air-Cooling. But the Noctua-D15 Cooler has been a revelation to me. It keeps my System really cool, even while o/c, never more than 59 °C.
Its right up there with the best Liquid Cooling, in my opinion.
I've overclocked to 4.0 GHz with Vcore 1.39 V effortlessly, in my first attempt itself; really don't feel the need to go any further, at least for now.
( I think I won the Silicon Lottery this time :) ).
Don't know much about the Infinite Analysis stuff, as I'm more into Gaming than Testing, but I can tell you that NPS is pretty fast, as good if not faster than Intel, and cooler.
Also, although I'm not 100 % sure, Hyperthreading On seems to help Chess Engine performance on Ryzen Systems, unlike Intel.
Cardoso
Full name: Alvaro Cardoso

Post by Cardoso »

Anil, please do me a favor.
run the following scripts (command prompt) on you ryzen system:

wmic systemenclosure get serialnumber

wmic bios get serialnumber

I wish to know if these commands return valid serials, I mean I don't want to know your system specific serials, you don't have to tell me the serials, I just want to know if Ryzen cpus have serials on them (not on the box).

thanks,
Alvaro
cdani

Post by cdani »

Cardoso wrote:Anil, please do me a favor.
run the following scripts (command prompt) on you ryzen system:

wmic systemenclosure get serialnumber

wmic bios get serialnumber

I wish to know if these commands return valid serials, I mean I don't want to know your system specific serials, you don't have to tell me the serials, I just want to know if Ryzen cpus have serials on them (not on the box).

thanks,
Alvaro
I tried with an 1800X and returned empty strings.
Leo
Full name: Leo Anger

Post by Leo »

shrapnel wrote:
cma6 wrote:" AMD Ryzen 7 1800X @3.9 GHz, 32 GB DDR4-2400 G.Skill RAM, ASUS Prime x370-PRO, Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4 Cooler."

Thank You.
I use Windows 10 64-Bit, though I would have preferred to stick with Windows 8.1.
I read on the overclock.net Forums something about Microsoft not supporting anything below Windows 10 on Ryzen Systems.
Anyway, Windows 10 seems to be OK, not giving me any problems.
I use the Zotac Geforce 1060 GTX Mini Card. It occupies much less space and consumes much less Power than the regular Geforce Cards.
Maybe that's one of the reasons my System remains much cooler even while overclocking , compared to many Ryzen owners on the overclock.net forums.
Also, everyone sneers at Air-Cooling. But the Noctua-D15 Cooler has been a revelation to me. It keeps my System really cool, even while o/c, never more than 59 °C.
Its right up there with the best Liquid Cooling, in my opinion.
I've overclocked to 4.0 GHz with Vcore 1.39 V effortlessly, in my first attempt itself; really don't feel the need to go any further, at least for now.
( I think I won the Silicon Lottery this time :) ).
Don't know much about the Infinite Analysis stuff, as I'm more into Gaming than Testing, but I can tell you that NPS is pretty fast, as good if not faster than Intel, and cooler.
Also, although I'm not 100 % sure, Hyperthreading On seems to help Chess Engine performance on Ryzen Systems, unlike Intel.
It's now official. Ryzen hyperthreading helps a lot. Don't use BMI2. Use pop. (whatever they are.)
Advanced Micro Devices fan.