New SmarThink website

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Sergei S. Markoff

Re: New SmarThink website

Post by Sergei S. Markoff »

SzG wrote:Hi Sergei,

Nice pages. What is that on your glasses?
Thank you!)

It's Google Glass)
The Force Be With You!
Sergei S. Markoff

Thank you, Frank!)
The Force Be With You!
Sergei S. Markoff

Ras wrote:Nicely done, and quite a modern design. Looks more 2017 than my website, in fact (but that is optimised for slow connections and accessibility).
Thank you!)
Ras wrote:The only thing that really confused me was that it displays in Russian, and I can't even read the letters. The left most icon offers a switch, but I failed to understand the meaning of that icon. Usually, a UK country flag denotes "click here for English".
Hmm, in my browsers it works. When you're in Russian version click this icon to switch to English and vice versa. If it's not working for you please provide me with some additional info about your browser & platform.
Ras wrote:The Yandex tracking script seems like a privacy issue for the users, do you really need that for a non-commercial website? I have that one in my Adblock anyway, just like the Google counterparts.
I'm using Yandex for thacking for a long time, it's one of the most popular counters in Russia. I like metrics and stats)
The Force Be With You!
Sergei S. Markoff

MikeB wrote:
Sergei S. Markoff wrote:New SmarThink site: http://smarthink.ru
My homepage: http://markoff.science
Most recent version continues to crash under wine (macOS), not saying it's your duty to fix, just letting you know. If it would be helpful, I can tell you the last version that does not crash under wine. Or better yet, maybe we can get a native macOS version?
I hope next version will include Linux compile and I will look is it hard to make Mac compile too.
The Force Be With You!
Sergei S. Markoff

Dann Corbit wrote:I love your engine logos.
They are really interesting.
Thank you!)
The Force Be With You!
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Sergei S. Markoff wrote:Hmm, in my browsers it works.
It works for me, too, from a browser point of view. The issue is a human one. I saw that icon, and I only understood what that Chinese/Western icon might mean (switch to English) when I hovered over it. And on touch screens, there is not even any hover.

Actually, that icon might even be Russian/Western and not Chinese/Western. However, the people who need that icon the most, i.e. people who don't know how to read Russian, don't know the Russian font either and thus cannot even tell that the letter is Russian.

Using a UK flag, even if subdued to green/black, would be a more understandable hint to say "click/tap here, and you'll get English". Of course, then you'd have to use a different icon in the English version to say "click/tap here to get Russian".
Sergei S. Markoff wrote:I'm using Yandex for thacking for a long time, it's one of the most popular counters in Russia. I like metrics and stats)
Well OK, so just take into account that people with ad blockers are likely to have that in some privacy abo filter list, and I guess the percentage of tech savvy people in your audience will be even higher than average.

Just to be clear, the overall page has quite a "wow!" factor. :)