Fritz 14 software and .uci configuration files

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Onegin

Fritz 14 software and .uci configuration files

Post by Onegin »

I've been trying to change default settings on my Fritz 14 GUI using .uci files to change default engine settings and have succeeded in changing default number of cores engines use by updating a statement "Threads=[#cores]". But I couldn't disable permanent brain because I don't know the name of the variable responsible for it. I'm not even sure it is possible to do so through .uci files. Does anybody know anything about this?
tpoppins

Re: Fritz 14 software and .uci configuration files

Post by tpoppins »

According to UCI specs it's
Ponder=false

The same specification recommends letting the GUI handle it. Any reason you cannot follow this recommendation?
Onegin

Post by Onegin »

By default in Fritz 14 Permanent Brain (or Ponder) is On. I'd like to have it Off because my hardware is too weak (or so I think): Dell Latitude e6400, 2 cores (I have to reserve 1 core for the system, so it's single core to the engines), 4 Gb RAM and weak Graphics Card (shared, with max 256 Mb). I am not sure how heavy is Ponder on CPU and I assumed it takes some "wind" out of the system . Do you have any idea how much CPU Ponder takes?
So every time I start Fritz the Ponder is On for every engine and sometimes I forget to turn it off from GUI settings and I start a game against an engine only to discover that Ponder is On and then I have to restart the game and change Ponder to Off. You see my point?
So the main question is, How heavy is Ponder on the system?

Also, while we are on this subject, where do I find these UCI scpecs?
Alexander Schmidt

Post by Alexander Schmidt »

tpoppins wrote:According to UCI specs it's
Ponder=false

The same specification recommends letting the GUI handle it. Any reason you cannot follow this recommendation?
The Ponder-Option is just an information for the engine. Pondering is handled by the GUI. If you force Ponder=Off the engine will ponder anyway but the time management is likely messed up.

So the only way to handle it correctly is to toggle pondering by the GUI. If your GUI don't support this as you would like, try another one.
Onegin

Post by Onegin »

Thanks a lot. That pretty much answers my question. I'm pretty happy with my GUI (Fritz 14), I was just trying to fit it to my taste. But changing Ponder mode through GUI settings is fine with me too