Rodent III released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

PK

Rodent III released

Post by PK »

Windows builds available at http://www.pkoziol.cal24.pl/rodent/download.htm Should also compile under Linux (possibly with minor makefile modifications).

As I wrote before, I don't expect to have much time to develop Rodent this year. One of the reasons is getting a full time job at Polish History Museum (dealing with assets like old photographs, copyright issues, digital exhibitions on Gogle Cultural Institute platform and storytelling). Even without this I'd be rather busy on many fronts. I'd be grateful if anybody takes over as a lead developer of Rodent - source is GPL anyway, and I made some effort to clean up the code (see https://github.com/nescitus/Rodent_III). If nobody turns up, the project will be shelved. I might return to it in a year or so, or start a non-derivative engine instead. In the meantime, enjoy Rodent III.

I wanted to finish this stage of Rodent's development on a high note, so this version can use up to 4 threads. Pawn structure evaluation should be more solid as well. The default engine is slightly less aggressive, but You can easily tune it to become mad attacker, or simply use Marshall, Henny, Remy or KingHunter personalities. The gain on single thread is probably about 20 Elo.

Have fun!
Graham Banks

Re: Rodent III released

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks Pawel. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Thanks a lot, Pawel! Rodent is awesome. :D

Cheers,
CL
chetday

Post by chetday »

Pawel, thanks for this latest version.

Your new job sounds really interesting, and I wish you all success with it.
Damir
Full name: Damir Desevac

Post by Damir »

Thanks Pawel. :) :)
BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Post by BrendanJNorman »

PK wrote:Windows builds available at http://www.pkoziol.cal24.pl/rodent/download.htm Should also compile under Linux (possibly with minor makefile modifications).

As I wrote before, I don't expect to have much time to develop Rodent this year. One of the reasons is getting a full time job at Polish History Museum (dealing with assets like old photographs, copyright issues, digital exhibitions on Gogle Cultural Institute platform and storytelling). Even without this I'd be rather busy on many fronts. I'd be grateful if anybody takes over as a lead developer of Rodent - source is GPL anyway, and I made some effort to clean up the code (see https://github.com/nescitus/Rodent_III). If nobody turns up, the project will be shelved. I might return to it in a year or so, or start a non-derivative engine instead. In the meantime, enjoy Rodent III.

I wanted to finish this stage of Rodent's development on a high note, so this version can use up to 4 threads. Pawn structure evaluation should be more solid as well. The default engine is slightly less aggressive, but You can easily tune it to become mad attacker, or simply use Marshall, Henny, Remy or KingHunter personalities. The gain on single thread is probably about 20 Elo.

Have fun!
Thank you Pawel!

Rodent is by far my favorite chess engine at the moment and I'm sad to hear you can't move forward with it.

If I were a programmer I'd take over and indeed I had a lot of ideas I'd been hoping to share with you. :cry:

I'll show you a game by Rodent Henny which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful engine games in terms of human "flashy" playing style.

[pgn][Event "Sicilian Thematic Blitz Challenge"]
[Site "?"]
[Date "2017.01.08"]
[Round "7"]
[White "Rodent II 0.8.7 Henny"]
[Black "Ktulu 7.1"]
[Result "1-0"]
[ECO "B81"]
[PlyCount "61"]
[EventDate "2017.01.07"]
[Source "Norman"]

1. e4 c5 2. Nf3 d6 3. d4 cxd4 4. Nxd4 Nf6 5. Nc3 a6 6. Be3 e6 7. g4 h6 8. f4
Nc6 9. Be2 e5 10. Nxc6 bxc6 11. fxe5 Nxg4 12. Bxg4 Qh4+ 13. Bf2 Qxg4 14. exd6
Qg2 15. Rg1 Qxh2 16. Rg3 Bd7 17. Qd4 h5 18. O-O-O h4 19. Rxg7 Bxg7 20. Qxg7
Qf4+ 21. Kb1 Rf8 22. Be3 Qg4 23. Qf6 Qe6 24. Qxh4 f6 25. Bd4 O-O-O 26. Bb6 Rde8
27. Qf2 Qe5 28. Bc7 Bg4 29. d7+ Kxc7 30. dxe8=N+ Qxe8 31. Qg3+ 1-0[/pgn]

This is not "perfect" Stockfish chess, nor was/is that my intention with personalities (so no SF analysis of the above game plz), it's (Henny, I mean) designed to be that cocky Asian kid at the club with an amazing tactical gift. Henny has hit this nail on the head.

As thanks for this new version (which I'm dying to make some killer personalities for), here's a bunch of the personalities I've been messing with in my spare time:

http://bit.ly/2mdSC38 (direct download link)

It a zip file including my Topalov, Morozevich, Karpov, Kasparov, Pawn Star (awesome personality with powerful use of pawns), Henny and Remy personalities.

Enjoy! 8-)
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

PK wrote:Windows builds available at http://www.pkoziol.cal24.pl/rodent/download.htm Should also compile under Linux (possibly with minor makefile modifications).

Have fun!
Thanks for the release, Pawel!

Does it have a version number too, or is currently just Rodent III w/o further numbering?

Guenther
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

Guenther wrote:
Does it have a version number too, or is currently just Rodent III w/o further numbering?

Guenther
Don't mind, I downloaded it and I see it is named

Code: Select all

Rodent III 0.172
Kohflote

Post by Kohflote »

Thank you, Pawel ! Is sad and unfortunate that you're unable to move carry forward with your excellent work.

Best regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Thanks Pavel.....Rodent has been a breath of fresh air (as well as your other engines)....hopefully if you get some free time..now and then...RODENT WILL LIVE ON!! Best Wishes.....AR :) :wink: