Rodent III released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Kohflote

Re: Rodent III released

Post by Kohflote »

Dear Pavel,

I tried installing Rodent III on shredder gui and arena 3.5.1 but encountered the following error:

"The program can't start because MSVCP120.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstallign the program to fix this problem"

I have tried reinstalling but still the same problem. I am using Windows 10 Professional.

Your help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Best regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
PK

Post by PK »

Kah Huat Koh, please download the following file and place it in the Rodent directory:

https://www.dll-files.com/msvcp120.dll.html

I'll add it to the distribution package.
PK

Post by PK »

Norman, thank You for Your kind words - and for personalities. The funny thing is that they can be tried with the new version as well. Just copy and paste the following lines to each of them:

Code: Select all

setoption name SearchSkill value 10
setoption name RiskyDepth value 0
setoption name Fianchetto value 0
There might be a need of some readjustments afterwards, but in general they should be quite similar to what is expected from Rodent II.
PK

Post by PK »

OK, I have updated distribution packages. Tere are two changes

- I had to recompile 32-bit version, because time control code has been compromised
- missing library is supplemented

Regards,

Pawel Koziol
Kohflote

Post by Kohflote »

Hi Pawel,

Now I get a different error when installing the 64-bits version:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

Best regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
PK

Post by PK »

Never seen that error :( Does it happen also with Rodent_III_x64_plain?

If so, one last try is that You can download this http://pkoziol.cal24.pl/rodent/Rodent_I ... MSVC15.zip and replace the exe file. This has been compiled under recent Visual Studio on Windows 10. May have problems on some guis (Microsoft broken stdio support) but runs under Arena on my machine.

Hope that helps

Pawel
Kohflote

Post by Kohflote »

Hi, I tried Rodent_III_x64_plain and got same error.

I tried Rodent_III_x64_MSVC15.zip and got:

"The program can't start because VCRUNTIME140.dll {and later MSVCP140.dll} is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

Thank you & regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

PK wrote:Windows builds available at http://www.pkoziol.cal24.pl/rodent/download.htm Should also compile under Linux (possibly with minor makefile modifications).

As I wrote before, I don't expect to have much time to develop Rodent this year. One of the reasons is getting a full time job at Polish History Museum (dealing with assets like old photographs, copyright issues, digital exhibitions on Gogle Cultural Institute platform and storytelling). Even without this I'd be rather busy on many fronts. I'd be grateful if anybody takes over as a lead developer of Rodent - source is GPL anyway, and I made some effort to clean up the code (see https://github.com/nescitus/Rodent_III). If nobody turns up, the project will be shelved. I might return to it in a year or so, or start a non-derivative engine instead. In the meantime, enjoy Rodent III.

I wanted to finish this stage of Rodent's development on a high note, so this version can use up to 4 threads. Pawn structure evaluation should be more solid as well. The default engine is slightly less aggressive, but You can easily tune it to become mad attacker, or simply use Marshall, Henny, Remy or KingHunter personalities. The gain on single thread is probably about 20 Elo.

Have fun!
Thanks for Rodent III! I have been playing around with it this weekend. I wish that I had the skill to help in the development.

By the way, I noticed a spelling error at line 62 in uci_options.cpp:

Code: Select all

printf("option name PaswnStructure type spin default %d min 0 max 500\n", Par.struct_weight);
"PaswnStructure" should be "PawnStructure".
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

Kohflote wrote:Hi Pawel,

Now I get a different error when installing the 64-bits version:

"The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b). Click OK to close the application."

Best regards,
Koh, Kah Huat
Hi,
I was getting the same errors under Win 8.1 64-bit, but then I downloaded and installed the following to make it work:

Microsoft Visual C++ 2013 Redistributable, installs, MSVCP120.dll and MSVCR120.dll.

Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable Update 3, installs, MSVCP140.dll and MSVCR140.dll.

https://superuser.com/questions/1163409 ... re-missing

CL
Kohflote

Post by Kohflote »

Hi Carl,

Thank you! It works now :)

Best regards,
Koh, Kah Huat