Galjoen 0.35

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Werner Taelemans
Full name: Werner Taelemans

Re: Galjoen 0.35.1

Post by Werner Taelemans »

SzG wrote:What is the options dialog? Do you mean the WinBoard command 'memory'?
In Winboard: Engine->Engine#1->Settings... Hash

In Arena: Engines->Engine1->Configure... Hash
But I suppose that in Arena you have to set the memory command as well, otherwise Galjoen might end with the minimum hash size of 1Mb. But I didn't test this.

If ChessGUI doesn't show the Hash option, I could add support for the 'memory' command in Galjoen. That's the preferred CECP command for the hash size anyway.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

The Winboard engines I've used usually have engine options set via an ini file. However there is one exception, where ChessGUI does pass on some parameters:

Betsy Fischer: CommandLine = -xboard 32 g:\tb

So would Galjoen require something like this ?
Werner Taelemans

Modern Times wrote: would Galjoen require something like this ?
No, Galjoen doesn't use command line options or ini files.

I have installed ChessGUI on my PC today. I'll let it play a tournament tonight (as UCI engine) and maybe I find something.
tmokonen
Full name: Tony Mokonen

Post by tmokonen »

Modern Times wrote:The Winboard engines I've used usually have engine options set via an ini file. However there is one exception, where ChessGUI does pass on some parameters:

Betsy Fischer: CommandLine = -xboard 32 g:\tb

So would Galjoen require something like this ?
Galjoen uses the option command, as specified in the latest version of the CECP protocol (the newer Winboard 2.1 commands are highlighted in blue):

https://www.gnu.org/software/xboard/engine-intf.html

I am not sure if ChessGUI supports the extensions to the Winboard protocol. I only see support for WB1 and WB2 in the Install Engines dialog screen. In Arena and Winboard, these options would display in a manner similar to UCI options for a UCI engine.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

May just be easier if you could do a compile with default 128MB hash, then I coud simply run it ? ChessGui is old and unsupprted now, but I don't have any issues with it usually.
Werner Taelemans

There are two new exe files with default 128Mb hash included now.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Werner Taelemans wrote:There are two new exe files with default 128Mb hash included now.
Thanks very much :D I'll try these soon.
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Werner Taelemans wrote:There are two new exe files with default 128Mb hash included now.
I tried running a chess960 match in ChessGUI with Galjoen as a WB2 engine, and it stopped as soon as the other side castled. So it possibly doesn't realise it is a 960 game. UCI handles that nicely, but I get those strange evals and it plays very weakly, so I don't know where to go from here.
Werner Taelemans

Galjoen 0.35.2

OK, I know where those crazy evals came from.
ChessGUI uses O-O notation instead of KxR notation. Then Galjoen translated this to KxR where the castling side actually lost it's rook.
This should be fixed in version 0.35.2
Modern Times

Re: Galjoen 0.35.2

Post by Modern Times »

Thanks, sorry for causing all this extra work.

In my fairly old ChessGUI installation, as a UCI engine I had it installed as "UCI2 960_OO" which is rare for UCI engines, normally they are "UCI2 960_HAha". But for engines that are also Winboard, or that play under WB or Arena, the "UCI2 960_OO" is usually required. So with 0.35.2 which should I use do you know ? If you don't I can try both and see which works properly.