AMD's Ryzen launches March 2, outperforming Intel's Core i7

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Laskos
Full name: Kai Laskos

Re: AMD's Ryzen launches March 2, outperforming Intel's Core

Post by Laskos »

http://www.hardware.fr/articles/956-7/i ... mt-ht.html

Ryzen Multi Threading gives around 40% boost with chess engines compared to about 20-22% for Intel i7.
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

Laskos wrote:http://www.hardware.fr/articles/956-7/i ... mt-ht.html

Ryzen Multi Threading gives around 40% boost with chess engines compared to about 20-22% for Intel i7.
In gaming the SM Threading hurts Ryzen, and generally gaming is the field where one hears complaints in the last hours. For chess and other such applications, we are here, AMD is again the best, like it was in 2001-2006.
Tom Likens

Post by Tom Likens »

I would love to but I just don't have time. I run a team of about 20 electrical engineers and we're heavily in the design phase of the successor to Ryzen.

regards,
--tom
schack

Post by schack »

In other words, the NPS / overhead tradeoff with Intel is barely worth it, but with the Ryzen chips, it's entirely so? Is that what these numbers would indicate?
Laskos

Post by Laskos »

schack wrote:In other words, the NPS / overhead tradeoff with Intel is barely worth it, but with the Ryzen chips, it's entirely so? Is that what these numbers would indicate?
Yes, definitely. Even on my i7 4790 Intel, SF and Komodo do seem to benefit a bit from hyperthreading. With Ryzen that will be pronounced.
sandermvdb

Post by sandermvdb »

I just ordered my Ryzen 1700 :)
schack

Post by schack »

Tom - check your PMs. Thanks.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Laskos wrote:
schack wrote:In other words, the NPS / overhead tradeoff with Intel is barely worth it, but with the Ryzen chips, it's entirely so? Is that what these numbers would indicate?
Yes, definitely. Even on my i7 4790 Intel, SF and Komodo do seem to benefit a bit from hyperthreading. With Ryzen that will be pronounced.
Upper test of nps in SF and Komodo are almost certainly done with HT on. This almost certainly means i7-6900k will be still noticeably stronger than R7 1800X since its no-HT performance is better and for 8 core i7 no-HT is equal or better than HT on in terms of Elo.
jhellis3

Post by jhellis3 »

No.

Apples to apples at 3 GHz they are almost identical. The difference being that the 6900k clocks at 3.2 Ghz 3.7 Boost, while the 1800x clocks at 3.6Ghz 4.0 Boost.

That is at 12.5% clock advantage for the 1800X. But let's be generous here and call it a wash...

The only remaining difference is that one retails for $1049, the other for $499.
Milos

Post by Milos »

Laskos wrote:Naples is top of the line "enterprise chip" that is designed for the server market. My guess is it will cost at least $2,000. New Xeons are much more expensive than that core per core, I never dreamt of having a new 16-core dual Xeon, was just looking at second hand, but never managed to assemble one. I will go for Ryzen, these are great news.
I built a config that is very popular around here of dual e5-2670, and it costed me together with 32GB DDR3 and Mobo under 600$ (only Mobo was new, CPUs and memory used).
These Xeons are almost 5 years old now, but still 16 core machine (32T) with them gives 25Mnps running SF8 where i7-6950X on 10 cores (20T) gives 19Mnps and price difference is 4-5x.