Java Chess Engines...Help !!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

supersharp77

Java Chess Engines...Help !!

Post by supersharp77 »

Been working on Java (Jar) chess engines of late...trying to get them to play moves and work in Shredder and also in Fritz GUI... I had downloaded quite a few of these in my engines folders over the years starting with Cuckoo Chess...Carballo and Mediocre chess and ending with the newer ones in the SJCE Gui folder (Unidexter ChessbotX & Ficherle etc). Took some time but I was able to get quite a few to work...Chesster..Animats CE....Brembo CE ...Alf...etc
None of the Cuckoo Chess versions (jar files) worked (so far) neither did Carballo or Mediocre jar files....Pulse has never worked (neither jar or exe) Fischerle has some weird 2 stage jar loading system and a fixed hash setup and will not run without using a bat file (did load using xboard)....The Bagatur 1.3 exe loads and plays but the jar file would not work with the normal setup...(1.2..1.2a or 1.3 or 1.4)... Olithink 4.12j plays nice as a jar setup.. Cuckoochess does play in SJCE Gui but does not play properly because it lost 2 games in a row to Fischerle chess engine and seemed to play much weaker than it should.....more work is needed to get quite a few of these engine running and up to speed....Thanks for you help in this matter..AR :) :wink:

Java Jar Chess Engines Download

http://www.4shared.com/archive/R3UK-VFd ... gines.html
jswaff
Full name: James Swafford

Re: Java Chess Engines...Help !!

Post by jswaff »

Here is another Java engine (written by me):

http://chess4j.sourceforge.net/

I'll be posting an updated version soon with pondering and some search improvements.
flok

Post by flok »

Here's DeepBrutePos: https://vanheusden.com/DeepBrutePos/

Also Java. Not tested with any jdk more recent than 7.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Thx Guys......Deep Brute POS 2.1 is in the download and also I got Chess 4j 3.0 working nicely and is included in the Java engines download...Problem engines were Cuckoochess.....Mediocre Chess Fischerle..ChessbotX...Gladiator...Kingsout..Magnum...Eden 006..Tursas..
TriOS..Rival 0094..Javalin...Gnuchess..Unidexer..Presbyter..Flux and Bagatur
Chess..... :D :wink:
RolandoFurioso

Post by RolandoFurioso »

supersharp77 wrote:Fischerle has some weird 2 stage jar loading system and a fixed hash setup and will not run without using a bat file (did load using xboard)....The Bagatur 1.3 exe loads and plays but the jar file would not work with the normal setup...(1.2..1.2a or 1.3 or 1.4)... Olithink 4.12j plays nice as a jar setup.. Cuckoochess does play in SJCE Gui but does not play properly because it lost 2 games in a row to Fischerle chess engine and seemed to play much weaker than it should.....more work is needed to get quite a few of these engine running and up to speed....Thanks for you help in this matter..AR :) :wink:

This is not the official source from which to obtain original Fischerle distributions. Fischerle has been included in this archive without prior consent by the author, i. e., me. Hence, the distribution through this source is illegal.

Original Fischerle distributions do in fact include both .exe and .bat starters as well as an informative README.txt file. I have absolutely no idea what you meam with "some weird 2 stage jar loading system" nor with "a fixed hash setup". In fact, Fischerle provides a relatively complete implementation of ths UCI protocol anc can thus be set toe different transposition table sizes in the range of1 to 1024 MB (256 MB being the default setting). And, of course, its works well enough in order to succesdfully participate at standard tournaments such as CCRL etc. Thus, arguably, the issue here is situated elsewhere.

I guess the same holds with respect to the problems that you encounter with some other engines. E. g., Cuckoochess will probably play inferior than nominally weaker engines if the hash table size is set to a very small number or so
Hence, please check the official distributions first befor dissseminating such a nonsense.
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

RolandoFurioso wrote:
supersharp77 wrote:Fischerle has some weird 2 stage jar loading system and a fixed hash setup and will not run without using a bat file (did load using xboard)....The Bagatur 1.3 exe loads and plays but the jar file would not work with the normal setup...(1.2..1.2a or 1.3 or 1.4)... Olithink 4.12j plays nice as a jar setup.. Cuckoochess does play in SJCE Gui but does not play properly because it lost 2 games in a row to Fischerle chess engine and seemed to play much weaker than it should.....more work is needed to get quite a few of these engine running and up to speed....Thanks for you help in this matter..AR :) :wink:

This is not the official source from which to obtain original Fischerle distributions. Fischerle has been included in this archive without prior consent by the author, i. e., me. Hence, the distribution through this source is illegal.

Original Fischerle distributions do in fact include both .exe and .bat starters as well as an informative README.txt file. I have absolutely no idea what you meam with "some weird 2 stage jar loading system" nor with "a fixed hash setup". In fact, Fischerle provides a relatively complete implementation of ths UCI protocol anc can thus be set toe different transposition table sizes in the range of1 to 1024 MB (256 MB being the default setting). And, of course, its works well enough in order to succesdfully participate at standard tournaments such as CCRL etc. Thus, arguably, the issue here is situated elsewhere.

I guess the same holds with respect to the problems that you encounter with some other engines. E. g., Cuckoochess will probably play inferior than nominally weaker engines if the hash table size is set to a very small number or so
Hence, please check the official distributions first befor dissseminating such a nonsense.
Nonsense...my a**....been trying for years to get that engine to run..even you yourself admit it only runs in the arena gui...Got thousand of engines to run..only yours is not..why is that? as far as your bat setup..why should I need that? and as far as your "fixed hash" please let the "tester" decide what hash to test at perhaps they do not wish to test at 1024...perhaps the tester wishes to use some other opening book..currently I have at least 4 versions.....from 060 to SE and none of them working! As far as your complaints about the SJCE gui...I don't know the creator......why rag against him...he's actually helping YOU...AR :) :wink:
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

supersharp77 wrote:Nonsense...my a**....been trying for years to get that engine to run..even you yourself admit it only runs in the arena gui...
Fischerle runs fine under ChessGUI as well (as a uci engine).
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Guenther
Full name: Guenther Simon

Post by Guenther »

supersharp77 wrote:
RolandoFurioso wrote:

As far as your complaints about the SJCE gui...I don't know the creator......why rag against him...he's actually helping YOU...AR :) :wink:
It's not the official SJCE distribution either...

https://sourceforge.net/projects/sjce/
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Graham Banks wrote:
supersharp77 wrote:Nonsense...my a**....been trying for years to get that engine to run..even you yourself admit it only runs in the arena gui...
Really? Whats the hash setting......whats the engine rating?...No luck for me in Fritz or Shredder Gui's.....I avoid bat file init files like the plague..even Cuckoochess and Bagatur bat files don't work for me...AR :) :wink:
Adam Hair

Post by Adam Hair »

supersharp77 wrote:
Graham Banks wrote:
Really? Whats the hash setting......whats the engine rating?...No luck for me in Fritz or Shredder Gui's.....I avoid bat file init files like the plague..even Cuckoochess and Bagatur bat files don't work for me...AR :) :wink:
From the CCRL 40/4 list:

Code: Select all

239-240 Fischerle 0.9.70 SE 64-bit         2270  +18  -18  49.5%   +2.6  1080
From the commandline:

Code: Select all

C:\Users\Adam\Downloads\cutechess-cli-win64\cutechess-cli\Fischerle_0_9_70_SE_64_or_32>java -Xms1400m -Xmx1400m -XX:+UseParallelGC -jar "dist\Fischerle.jar" uci
info hashfull 0
uci
id name Fischerle 0.9.70 SE 64 Bit
id author Roland Stuckardt
option name UCI_EngineAbout type string default Fischerle 0.9.70 SE 64 Bit by Roland Stuckardt
option name Hash type spin default 128 min 25 max 1000
option name Ponder type check default false
option name OwnBook type check default false
option name Null Move Pruning type check default true
option name Futility Pruning type check default true
option name Limited Razoring type check default true
option name Late Move Reduction type check default true
option name Beep when Moving type check default false
option name Display Fischerle GUI type check default false
option name Relative # of Elements IKHT : ESHT type spin default 50 min 0 max 100
option name Clear all Hashs type button
option name Draw Val (in Tenths of Pawn Units) type spin default 0 min -50 max 50
option name Max Chess SelSearch Node Branching Factor type spin default 3 min 2 max 7
option name Max Num of Chess SelSearchExt type spin default 7 min 0 max 30
option name Max Num of Trivial SelSearchExt type spin default 10 min 0 max 30
option name Max Num of Move-Related SelSearchExt type spin default 6 min 0 max 30
option name Singular Extensions type check default true
option name Max QS Basis Depth type spin default 50 min 0 max 70
option name Max Num of "Promising" Checks in QS type spin default 10 min 0 max 30
option name Max Num of "Promising" Check Escapes type spin default 1 min 0 max 3
option name Select Evaluation Factor Block type spin default 0 min 0 max 9
uciok
As you can see, the hash is adjustable. For the 40/4 list, we typically use 128 MB of hash.

By the way, Fischerle appears to work fine with Cutechess-cli.