Chess Performance enhancing drugs!

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

BrendanJNorman
Full name: Brendan J Norman

Re: A doctor´s point of view

Post by BrendanJNorman »

yanquis1972 wrote:arent you being selective? its extremely unlikely you'd notice a dose of prozac or zoloft either.
Yes, I probably am being a little selective, but only in placing emphasis on those I have most experience with. I'll generally speak authoritatively on something I've personally used/experienced with. In regards to prozac or zoloft, I have no idea because I have no experience with it (do you? :) ), yet the first experience I found of prozac online said:

"Yesterday was my 3rd day taking 20mg of Prozac prescribed by the doctor for depression and major anxiety and panic attacks. ... 2nd day was good but woke up feeling anxious. Went to the restroom and had a panic attack."

Here's a horrible experience of somebody on zoloft:

"Feel asleep only to wake in a horrific panic attack. Arms and hands where numb and tingling and my brain was slow. More utterly terrifying was that I couldn't see. White and then flashes of vision broken. I had panic attack so like I've never endured and genuinely believed I was going blind"

There have been cases of unwise people misusing phenibut and having symptoms, but never as severe as these horrible stories and, only in cases of massive misuse.

That being said: I wouldn't recommend it for people who have no self-discipline or who are expecting some magic pill to make them "happy".

There's are reasons why this type of stuff is not available over the counter in most countries.

It's not that it's not useful, but that 1. It's difficult for a pharmaceutical company to monopolize and 2.It's difficult to prevent dumb people from acting dumb (i.e misusing something and hurting themselves).
yanquis1972 wrote:I don't see how phenibut is not effectively a sedative, with very similar potential for abuse.
In terms of effects it is, but in terms of potential harm, it needs to be handled carefully, but it's most likely not gonna be life threatening like the others.
yanquis1972 wrote:Similarly modafinil vs prescription ritalin or adderall - what's the real difference?? from the little ive read, its mostly down to how widespread the usage is.
Drugs are only widespread in relation to how the pharmaceutical industry is regulated in a given country.

Many prescription drugs which are illegal without a doctor's approval are substantially less harmful than alcohol, nicotine or even some over the counter drugs.

It simply depends on what can be monopolized and regulated, not what is effective vs what isn't.

This is the sad reality and the reason why people selling this stuff/submitting it for approval take people of power to very expensive banquets and make deals in order to get things approved. I've heard this myself from the mouths of a pharmaceutical sales person.

I was surprised when I visited Thailand in 2014 that they regularly use Piracetam as a hangover remedy, rather than a cognitive enhancer.

But it makes sense in a way...a hangover is caused by dehydration of the brain after all.

But again, this reflects how the regulation of pharmaceuticals, rather than objective merit generally (at least in many many cases) decides what becomes "widespread".
yanquis1972 wrote:They both seem to be very serious drugs with a truckload of side effects, some of which clearly indicate very high abuse risk. Nothing subtle about them, unless you assume that everyone will take such drugs only as prescribed/at therapeutic doses, which of course is folly.
I'm not meaning to come across as condescending, or impolite John, but you admitted that you've only read little on the subject and I assume you also haven't tried modafinil.

So how can some of these opinions be any more than heresay or belief bias (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belief_bias)?

I have read dozens of case studies on modafinil, scoured over research and been taking it on and off for close to two years and have never experienced a single side-effect.

As mentioned elsewhere, this is just me and individuals should exercise due diligence prior to experimenting, but the assertion that this is an extremely dangerous substance is one i'd have to disagree with.

If a person lacks the maturity to discipline themselves or has an addictive personality, definitely they should avoid all of this stuff.

But this person should also avoid alcohol and tobacco too.

It's a strange culture we have where we can celebrate the widespread consumption of a neuro-toxin (which is exactly what alcohol is), while shaking our heads at people looking for ways to "hack" the brain and become smarter.

Personally, I love drinking and nootropics, although never at the same time! :D
reflectionofpower

Post by reflectionofpower »

Or look at the concept of the business world/Silicon Valley "micro-dosing" on LSD.

http://www.businessinsider.com/silicon- ... ive-2017-1

I do know from personal experience that tolerance for it increases rapidly so doing it every day diminishes really quick. You have to "cycle" the brain for it to be 100% effective.

When I went to a chess club about 35+ years ago the guy who picked me up used to get a good high before playing a rated game as it increased his creativity. I know alcohol for me is a death sentence playing chess as my skills rapidly diminish. I am no Blackburne or Alekhine.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

You can include Ginseng as safe, but I mean the real one, Korean Ginseng, which is really $$$$$$$$ - better buy a new computer to analyse your games.... :lol:
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

In fact, all those years of research proved that Piracetam is only effective in a rare variant of epilepsy - for all the other "indications" the only effect is that the industry is getting more and more money. :evil:
A. Ponti
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Extended-release anphetamines are even worse... much more dangerous drugs !
A. Ponti
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

Wow...

We could discuss the difference between "psyco" and nootropics for a month, but this is not the right forum...

BTW, IMHO, nootropics are a myth, something utopic, at least the ones that are marketed today by the pharmaceutical industry.
A. Ponti
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

reflectionofpower wrote:Or look at the concept of the business world/Silicon Valley "micro-dosing" on LSD.

You could ask Steve Jobs what are the effects of LSD, but unfortunately he´s dead... and we still don´t know the relationship between frequent use of LSD and pancreatic cancer...
A. Ponti
reflectionofpower

Ponti wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:Or look at the concept of the business world/Silicon Valley "micro-dosing" on LSD.

You could ask Steve Jobs what are the effects of LSD, but unfortunately he´s dead... and we still don´t know the relationship between frequent use of LSD and pancreatic cancer...
We should ask you as I am wondering about your avatar. :lol:
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Tony P.

Post by Tony P. »

Ponti wrote:So I suggest to take just a cup of coffee in the morning before the game.
With so many herbal teas available, I'm surprised to see a mental health expert suggest coffee. Is it really safe enough?

Anyway, it has to be noted that you were likely talking about coffee without sugar, which is the right way to drink it. The addition of sugar to any drink appears to have a strong (likely osmotic) diuretic effect on me which messes my sleeping pattern up so badly that the damage cancels the invigorating effect of caffeine intake in the personal 'morning'.

On a side note, your avatar is really cool!
reflectionofpower

Tony P. wrote:
Ponti wrote:So I suggest to take just a cup of coffee in the morning before the game.
With so many herbal teas available, I'm surprised to see a mental health expert suggest coffee. Is it really safe enough?

Anyway, it has to be noted that you were likely talking about coffee without sugar, which is the right way to drink it. The addition of sugar to any drink appears to have a strong (likely osmotic) diuretic effect on me which messes my sleeping pattern up so badly that the damage cancels the invigorating effect of caffeine intake in the personal 'morning'.

On a side note, your avatar is really cool!
I always drink my coffee black & non sweetened. I just drink 2 in the morning. Anymore than that it burns me out. People would always say,"Lonnie, you look tired" and they were right. I felt tired and looked tired just from going over my 2 cup limit.

I remember a while back reading an article saying drinking 1 cup of coffee reduced liver cancer by 25%. This article says 1 cup at 14% and the % goes up as you drink more cups.

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/291686.php

Lonnie