Why does Recovery flash drive show wrong capacity?

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

reflectionofpower

Why does Recovery flash drive show wrong capacity?

Post by reflectionofpower »

I know this is not computer chess related but there are a lot of geeks on here.

I just made a recovery drive for Windows 8.1 Pro and the flash drive originally when I bought it this morning was a 64 GB. I look at it now and it is only a 32GB FAT32.

Is this a Microsoft thing for copy protection?

Any answers would be appreciated.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Jimbo I

Re: Why does Recovery flash drive show wrong capacity?

Post by Jimbo I »

reflectionofpower wrote:I know this is not computer chess related but there are a lot of geeks on here.

I just made a recovery drive for Windows 8.1 Pro and the flash drive originally when I bought it this morning was a 64 GB. I look at it now and it is only a 32GB FAT32.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that it's for copy protection. In general, Windows will refuse to format a flash drive in FAT32 if it's over 32 GB in size. I suspect that when the recovery disk was created, Windows just limited the partition to 32 GB.

As long as the flash drive isn't counterfeit, you should be able to reformat the flash drive to 64 GB when you no longer need the recovery drive. If you reformat the drive in Windows, you'd be restricted to NTFS or exFAT formats. Third-party software like "FAT32 Formatter" can also format the drive in FAT32 over 32 GB.
reflectionofpower

Jimbo I wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:I know this is not computer chess related but there are a lot of geeks on here.

I don't know for sure, but I doubt that it's for copy protection. In general, Windows will refuse to format a flash drive in FAT32 if it's over 32 GB in size. I suspect that when the recovery disk was created, Windows just limited the partition to 32 GB.

As long as the flash drive isn't counterfeit, you should be able to reformat the flash drive to 64 GB when you no longer need the recovery drive. If you reformat the drive in Windows, you'd be restricted to NTFS or exFAT formats. Third-party software like "FAT32 Formatter" can also format the drive in FAT32 over 32 GB.
File system limitation of FAT32. Ok, thanks, makes sense.
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
Colin-G

Post by Colin-G »

If you want to stay with the FAT32 format, you could split the drive into 2 partitions, each with 32GB.
reflectionofpower

Colin-G wrote:If you want to stay with the FAT32 format, you could split the drive into 2 partitions, each with 32GB.
true.

Lonnie