Houdini 5 - Standard or Pro / hyperthreading

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

reflectionofpower

Houdini 5 - Standard or Pro / hyperthreading

Post by reflectionofpower »

I emailed this to Robert 2 weeks ago and I never got a response back for whatever reason so maybe someone can help me here.

"I am getting an i7 Tuesday and it hyper threads to 8. Will the standard version of Houdini 5 use all of these threads and I already know about the hyperthread degradation to Houdini in particular if I remember correctly?

Can I transfer the Houdini 5 program from my brother's computer which I will remove when I get mine as I will install on my faster laptop without copy protection hiccups?"
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
AdminX

Re: Houdini 5 - Standard or Pro / hyperthreading

Post by AdminX »

Yes it will use those threads.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

AdminX wrote:Yes it will use those threads.
Thanks, the only reason I asked is that it states that it only supports 6 cores and I didn't know if that was physical or a virtual total.

I get this when I go to your website - www.tedsummers.com

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/te/tedsummers.com/wp-content/plugins/myVideo.php:2) in /var/www/html/te/tedsummers.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 881
"Without change, something sleeps inside us, and seldom awakens. The sleeper must awaken." (Dune - 1984)

Lonnie
kgburcham

Post by kgburcham »

reflectionofpower wrote:
Thanks, the only reason I asked is that it states that it only supports 6 cores and I didn't know if that was physical or a virtual total.

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /var/www/html/te/tedsummers.com/wp-content/plugins/myVideo.php:2) in /var/www/html/te/tedsummers.com/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 881
Lonnie run for five minutes from the start position with 8 threads and 4 cores, then the same test with 4 threads and 4 cores. I assume your processor is 4 cores?
Then post the results, thanks.
kgburcham
no chess program was born totally from one mind. all chess programs have many ideas from many minds.
reflectionofpower

kgburcham wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:

Lonnie run for five minutes from the start position with 8 threads and 4 cores, then the same test with 4 threads and 4 cores. I assume your processor is 4 cores?
Then post the results, thanks.
kgburcham
On Houdini 4 I get 7,200 nps and hyperthreaded 9,500 nps. I haven't bought Houdini 5 yet.

Lonnie
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

Without actually knowing the answer, I would have said no. The maximum setting for the threads parameter is 6, no matter what CPU you run it on.
reflectionofpower

Modern Times wrote:Without actually knowing the answer, I would have said no. The maximum setting for the threads parameter is 6, no matter what CPU you run it on.
You see now I am getting conflicting info. Is this a physical or virtual thread limitation? That's why I emailed Robert but no response from him so ... :?

Lonnie
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

It is the max value of the UCI parameter. It won't care about physical or virtual cores. You could set it at six on a dual core CPU if you had one, although that would be silly. You probably need to wait for Robert, it us holiday season after all. I may be wrong.
cc2150dx
Full name: Jason Coombs

Post by cc2150dx »

reflectionofpower wrote:I am getting an i7 Tuesday and it hyper threads to 8. Will the standard version of Houdini 5 use all of these threads and I already know about the hyperthread degradation to Houdini in particular if I remember correctly?"
I own Houdini 5.01 Standard. My i7 quad hyperthreaded to 8, houdini will use 6 threads at most.
reflectionofpower

cc2150dx wrote:
reflectionofpower wrote:I am getting an i7 Tuesday and it hyper threads to 8. Will the standard version of Houdini 5 use all of these threads and I already know about the hyperthread degradation to Houdini in particular if I remember correctly?"
I own Houdini 5.01 Standard. My i7 quad hyperthreaded to 8, houdini will use 6 threads at most.
You said "my i7 quad hyperthreaded to 8" in general or is this with Houdini 5.01?

So it should have been it can take 8 NOT 6 especially when many people have quads with hyperthreading which means 8 cores.

Lonnie