Nemeton 1.5

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Stan Arts

Nemeton 1.5

Post by Stan Arts »

Nemeton 1.5

Using mobility from the last full width plies movegenetion in evaluation. Sounds risky as quiescence captures have no effect on it but it's for free speed-wise and works better than expected.
Tuning down king safety better as pieces come off.
Passed pawns are scored better. Less to prevent wrong piece sacs but much more when they reach 7th.

In search doing researches on reduced nodes that were predicted wrong. A bit of Elo and longer PV's though I don't like how it sits in my code so probably just temporary.

Code: Select all

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJ9t41CkccXhH3LWi4CehMFTvYm 
Happy holidays,
Stan Arts
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Re: Nemeton 1.5

Post by hgm »

I once tried a technique I called 'static mobility', which in theory should be an improvement on just using the mobility from the last pre-QS node. This determined the mobility of each piece separately, and added the resulting eval bonus to the value of that piece. That way, if during QS pieces are captured, their mobility contribution disappears with them. Of course there are other mobility changes that you would still miss (e.g. unblocking).
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Thanks Stan. :)

Is it available for download yet?
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Graham Banks wrote:Thanks Stan. :)

See the link above (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJ9t41CkccXhH3LWi4CehMFTvYm). I wanted to repeat it here with the normal "url" tags around it but for some reason it did not work.
Graham Banks

Post by Graham Banks »

Sven Schüle wrote:

See the link above (https://1drv.ms/u/s!AoJ9t41CkccXhH3LWi4CehMFTvYm). I wanted to repeat it here with the normal "url" tags around it but for some reason it did not work.
Thanks. Got it. :)
gbanksnz at gmail.com
Stan Arts

Post by Stan Arts »

hgm wrote:I once tried a technique I called 'static mobility', which in theory should be an improvement on just using the mobility from the last pre-QS node. This determined the mobility of each piece separately, and added the resulting eval bonus to the value of that piece. That way, if during QS pieces are captured, their mobility contribution disappears with them. Of course there are other mobility changes that you would still miss (e.g. unblocking).
Good idea! Are you using this now and if not why not?

Though the current bang for the buck implementation works surprisingly well. Was expecting a lot of search instability but hard to notice more than usual. No doubt it does some funky things in branches we rarely see but ofcourse deeper search results in search instability/more accurate evaluation anyway so I was ready to accept this as part of that as the netto result is better play.
Splitting up into separate pieces was something I wanted to try but to be able to score them differently. (so that I can also remove specific bishop mobility in eval and get even more speeeed) And recalculating mobility per captured piece AFTER captures but your idea is simpler.
Stan Arts

Post by Stan Arts »

Sven Schüle wrote:

Indeed TalkChess does not like the link much. It stops turning it blue and clickable at the exclamation mark. Can't blame it.
Sven
Full name: Sven Schüle

Post by Sven »

Stan Arts wrote:
Sven Schüle wrote:

Indeed TalkChess does not like the link much. It stops turning it blue and clickable at the exclamation mark. Can't blame it.
So using an escape code does the trick.
Sylwy
Full name: SilvianR

Re: My test

Post by Sylwy »

Dokterchen

Post by Dokterchen »

Hi Stan,

SMP version?

Torsten