Komodo 10.3 released.

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

whereagles

Re: Komodo 10.3 released.

Post by whereagles »

drj4759 wrote:For some like me, such signature is a sore to the eye and an irritant when something else rules.
You're taking a literal interpretation of an idiomatic expression. "X rules" merely shows enthousiasm for X. It is by no means a claim that X is superior to the rest.
mjlef

Post by mjlef »

whereagles wrote:
drj4759 wrote:For some like me, such signature is a sore to the eye and an irritant when something else rules.
You're taking a literal interpretation of an idiomatic expression. "X rules" merely shows enthousiasm for X. It is by no means a claim that X is superior to the rest.
Exactly. When someone says "Black Sabbath rules!" it does not mean the person thinks Black Sabbath is the best of everything. Just that they like it. Urban Dictionary pretty much defines it as the opposite of "sucking".
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

drj4759 wrote:I think it is inappropriate at this time to announce to the world that "KOMODO RULES". All the rating lists show that it is only number 3 behind Stockfish and Houdini.

It is a shame if you insist to include that Komodo rules in every post you make. You can only do it when you have proof.
First of all, it's interesting how your allegiance towards komodo changes after Komodo has been on top of the rating lists and TCEC for many months/years in a row. The bottom line is the other two engines you speak of were newer than Komodo 10.2, and naybe 10.3 might be a more good measurement against those engines. It's a matter of timing to determine what engine is strongest on rating lists. My allegiance however does not change when komodo drops a spot or two on the rating list. The reason is because I find that it plays very smart chess, and smarter chess than any other engine available in my opinion, perhaps having a GM involved in evluation i a big reason (and Mark is a great programmer of course too). Larry and mark know how to make serious improvements, and so for them it's more a matter of timing to determine if it will be at the top of the rating list or not. I also think it's funny how objective credit cannot be given to komodo when it has all the results that any program would dream of like winning tcec multiple times, or at least being in championship, and being on top of rating lists over and over again. I thnk you should be giving objective credit where it belongs for komodo, rather than saying after komodo is "finally" not on top of a rating list after it "has been" many months in a row, that all of a sudden you say it is not a strong program, is ridiculous. There is also some element of statistics involved in rating lists that could create any one random result.

It is clear to me that you are a fan of other engines, and you don't like komodo for some reason to at least give it objective credit for the results it has achieved. And I think Larry has every right to say "Komodo rules" whether it happens to be on top of a rating list or not, because he is the engine's author of course. So he has every right to like his project and root for it.

That's all I have to say.

Sincerely,

Tim.
TShackel

Post by TShackel »

whereagles wrote:You're taking a literal interpretation of an idiomatic expression. "X rules" merely shows enthousiasm for X. It is by no means a claim that X is superior to the rest.
I agree.