You make the call..

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

As the FIDE TD, how do you arbitrate the result of this game?

Poll ended at Mon Nov 21, 2016 2:17 am

White Wins
2%
Black Wins
83%
Draw
15%

Total votes: 41

rabbits23

Re: You make the call..

Post by rabbits23 »

Sorry: Rules are rules.
Ras
Full name: Rasmus Althoff

Post by Ras »

Black wins because white is out of time. Noting two important side aspects here:

a) while black is not able to enforce mate, he is able to mate assuming the most stupid play possible by white (that's what counts). If black were not able to mate even with the most stupid white play possible, then it would be draw.

b) the last white move did not deliver mate on the board, which would override the time flag.
MikeB

Post by MikeB »

rabbits23 wrote:Rules are rule.Black won Next time White should watch the time more closely and plan more carefully.
Allan
+1 lol
Lyudmil Tsvetkov

Wrong hypothesis

Post by Lyudmil Tsvetkov »

First adjust your 8-men tbs position (still a wild dream) to an existing 7-men or lower, and then we could talk about it.

Starting from a wrong supposition, you will never get a rigth answer.
Ponti

Post by Ponti »

As long as there is a POSSIBLE mate for black,if white is flagged than black wins.
If black was left with just K+N,it is a draw.
A. Ponti
AMD Ryzen 1800x, Windows 10.
FIDE current ratings: standard 1913, rapid 1931
Dirt

Re: Wrong hypothesis

Post by Dirt »

The question had nothing to do with tablebases. If that's a question you are more interested in then make your own poll.
Deasil is the right way to go.
lucasart
Full name: lucasart

Post by lucasart »

not only it is obvious that black wins, but white deserves an penalty point for his arrogance.
Theory and practice sometimes clash. And when that happens, theory loses. Every single time.
chessmobile

Post by chessmobile »

This particular case is a straight forward conclusion that Black wins. Where this FIDE rule is taken to extreme can make a mockery of the rules are rules philosophy. I recall a game where the only material on board was K+B versus K+P and the side with the Bishop won on time. The player with the K+P could not understand why as there was no possible way he could be mated. But hypothetically it was possible that he could promote pawn to a Bishop which would result in opposite colour Bishop and proceed to allow a mate in 1. Any other promotion would still be draw.
bob

Post by bob »

MikeB wrote:It seems like we do have a lot of folks who are very knowledgeable about the rules, well here I give you a little quiz and you make the cal! by voting for the right answer as the fictional FIDE TD. I think the group will score over 75% so please don't let me down!

In this exercise , there was no dispute between the players regarding the facts.

In this FIDE game, player White played the move Rxb7. After playing the move, his flag fell , he was not quite quick enough to stop the clock, thus his flag fell.

[d]2n5/kp5R/n7/8/2N5/K1Q5/8/8 w - - 0 1

White claimed he won since the position is a won position for white and he was able to demonstrate that with Gaviota tablebases ;>) , which were loaded on the TD laptop.

Black claimed he won since White ran out of time and that is all that matters.
I am sure you know the answer already using FIDE rules, but black wins. Even though black can't force mate, black can mate (i.e. in some KNN vs KP endings the KNN is enough to win by letting the KNN side avoid draw by stalemate.) So since black has sufficient material to deliver mate (and even force it in some cases) that is all that is required for the black win when the white flag falls.
bob

Post by bob »

Joerg Oster wrote:I think rule 6.9 must be applied here.

It's commonly agreed that 2 knights alone cannot force a mate.
Hence the result must be draw.
So no wins in KNN vs KP? :)

KNN vs K can't be won by force, but give the losing side a pawn that can be blocked until a critical point and KNN wins.

Fide rule 6.9 says "if the opponent can not checkmate the king with any series of legal moves". Not "if the opponent can not force checkmate with ..." There is a key difference there.