Houdini 5 has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Nay Lin Tun

Re: Licence problem ...

Post by Nay Lin Tun »

rabbits23 wrote:Nay Lin Tun: When I click on your web page reference it provides a message 'Not Found The requested URL/H5.html was not found on this server' Pity; I was curious.
Allan
Because the tourney was over,
You can check the results in his website.
peter
Full name: Peter Martan

Re: Houdini 5 has been released

Post by peter »

Hi Robert!
Houdini wrote:I will publish an updated Houdini 5.01 in a couple of days that will correct this, together with some other corrections.
Thanks for the great new release and support for many different wishes of many users.
One of mine was a UCI- option to switch off large pages- usage. I like to use much hash but I don't like to restart Windows every time I renew analysis having had other apps, GUIs and engines working in between.
And the usage of big hash after some relocations means slower work of the engine with large pages enabled being unable to use it but with lp off.

Yet thanks for the lp- testing- tool, that helps a lot too,
Peter.
carldaman

Post by carldaman »

peter wrote:Hi Robert!
Houdini wrote:I will publish an updated Houdini 5.01 in a couple of days that will correct this, together with some other corrections.
Thanks for the great new release and support for many different wishes of many users.
One of mine was a UCI- option to switch off large pages- usage. I like to use much hash but I don't like to restart Windows every time I renew analysis having had other apps, GUIs and engines working in between.
And the usage of big hash after some relocations means slower work of the engine with large pages enabled being unable to use it but with lp off.

+1

I also wonder why the very useful learning function was taken out of Houdini 5. Previous versions had it.
Lion

Post by Lion »

JohnS wrote:
Houdini wrote:
Gurcan Uckardes wrote:What about the Android version? How long we must wait for Houdroid, the thing that never came...? Come on, seriously :?
It's coming for sure, what's another month after 3 years? :)
Will there be an Ipad version?

Thanks.
I would be paying for one.
FriedmannC

Post by FriedmannC »

Robert, Houdini 3, 4 and 5 - all three of them are great engines for my chess games analyses. Houdini 5 plays truly awesome chess and is a huge step to the next level of top chess engines. Do you intend to develop Houdini further as next year by this time to release Houdini 6, or this is the last version of your amazing engine? I hope Houdini will win this TCEC final! Best regards!
RJN

Post by RJN »

carldaman wrote:
peter wrote:Hi Robert!

+1

I also wonder why the very useful learning function was taken out of Houdini 5. Previous versions had it.
I did not know having large pages enabled slows things down when LP is not available due to fragmentation (??).

I too would like to see the learning feature again, it was a nice extra.

Also, is there no longer a need for SplitDepth, and the associated autotune utility?

Edit: forgot to mention, I had a few losses on time during online engine tournaments with increment, one game was 12min+1sec....but I think they were lost games anyway, so maybe Houdini doesn't care at that point. I was always curious why Houdini never had time usage parameters, or overhead adjustment :?:
i7-5930K @4.5GHz, H100i Hydro Cooler, 64GB DDR4 Corsair Dominator Platinum @3000MHz, ASUS X99 Deluxe mboard, 1TB EVO 850 SSD
Hurnavich

Post by Hurnavich »

Hi,

Agreed would like a little better time management at blitz runs close to the wire
in 5 min death games.
"May your next game be your best"
supersharp77

Post by supersharp77 »

Houdini wrote:
Modern Times wrote:Has anyone tried any chess960 games ?
As we've discussed via e-mail, there is an issue in some GUIs with Houdini 5 not correctly reading the Chess960 castling codes.

I will publish an updated Houdini 5.01 in a couple of days that will correct this, together with some other corrections.
Thank you for your patience with a rusty developer :).
Android version is coming!?! ...Well done Mr Houdart!...of course the world LOVES Houdini...Houdini 3 and 4 still testing quite well actually..Congrats
AR.. :) :wink:
zenpawn

Post by zenpawn »

Stockfish displays a really nice table of features in response to the "eval" command. I'd like to see Houdini offer a static eval command, even if it just spits out a centipawn score without details in order to keep its inner workings hidden. Thanks.