Houdini 5 has been released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Milos

Re: Houdini 5 has been released

Post by Milos »

IWB wrote:
JJJ wrote:I think it's also a mistake. Now there is two engine at least where Komodo can't play with any contempt. And Komodo shouldn't probably play with contempt against Fire 5 and less contempt against Shredder 13.

It depend if the rating list is against top 10 engine of course or top 50 engines to use contempt.
I tested K10 with and without contempt against my TOP16 (Result at the start page, scroll down a bit). The "gain" or "loss" was minimal (same for SF).
At least against the TOP 16 it seems to be redundant and I doubt a big effect against a wider range as the lower 8 in my list already lose with a high percentage. Increasing the percentage for a winning engine is very difficult. If you play against even more engines with a wider range K10 will win 90%+ to add a contempt there to get 92% will gain nearly no ELO.

In short: If you apply a contempt to gain a very low Elo increase you can skip that as well, it will not change a lot but keep you "safe"(er) in case of playing against stronger engines.

Ingo
Contempt or no contempt current Houdini 5 statistics against Komodo 10.2 is monstrous. SF8 had 60% (and there SF8 had the best performance) and H5 currently has 61.3%.

Overall seams H5 just had a bad start and will probably finish close to 3290Elo which is within error margin of SF8. So on some rating lists it could be expected to even surpass SF8.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Finally an update that is worth the money. I am tired of $59 engine updates for a lousy 20-30 elo points which you would never notice.
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

I've run a H5 vs. SF8 at 5 mins per game. So far it's H5 +3, SF8 +4 and 42 draws. This tells me H5 is so close to SF8 in strength.

All in all an *awesome* update!

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
APassionForCriminalJustic

Post by APassionForCriminalJustic »

Steve Maughan wrote:I've run a H5 vs. SF8 at 5 mins per game. So far it's H5 +3, SF8 +4 and 42 draws. This tells me H5 is so close to SF8 in strength.

All in all an *awesome* update!

Steve
That's wishful thinking. Have you not seen IPON? There should be a good 50 to 60 Elo difference. I believe that Houdini is over performing even at IPON. The superfinal will show you just how far back Houdini is versus Stockfish. Stockfish is a whole different story with more cores, and a lot more time.
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

Adam, you should start thinking about eating your hat.
Leto

Post by Leto »

Testing Houdini 5 for CEGT 40/4. In its first match against Stockfish 8 x64 12CPU Houdini 5 scored 48% after 100 games, very close, so I am running an additional 100 games between these two. The book I use is a custom 2 move book I made and I've been using it for about a year now.
Wolfgang

Post by Wolfgang »

JJJ wrote:Adam, you should start thinking about eating your hat.
Maybe some guys here should start thinking before posting... This would help a lot :roll:
Steve Maughan

Post by Steve Maughan »

Adam,

On another thread you recently rather smugly (and I have to say rudely), said,
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:Houdini plays better chess?! Lmao. Holy crap man, you are something else. All of you so-called "experts" of computer chess think that the final will be close - or "interesting" (whatever that means)? Haha (snip)
Stockfish may turn out to be better then Houdini 5, but H5 is clearly within 50 ELO of SF8. This would be at least a +150 ELO gain for H5 over H4. That's impressive.

FWIW a piece of advice - tone down the know-it-all rhetoric. The people you call "experts" are actually experts in computer chess. Your childish jibes don't sit well in this mature, in every sense, community.

Steve
http://www.chessprogramming.net - Maverick Chess Engine
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Steve Maughan wrote:Adam,

On another thread you recently rather smugly (and I have to say rudely), said,
APassionForCriminalJustic wrote:Houdini plays better chess?! Lmao. Holy crap man, you are something else. All of you so-called "experts" of computer chess think that the final will be close - or "interesting" (whatever that means)? Haha (snip)
Stockfish may turn out to be better then Houdini 5, but H5 is clearly within 50 ELO of SF8. This would be at least a +150 ELO gain for H5 over H4. That's impressive.

FWIW a piece of advice - tone down the know-it-all rhetoric. The people you call "experts" are actually experts in computer chess. Your childish jibes don't sit well in this mature, in every sense, community.

Steve
Agreed.
Only thing is, I get a strange feeling when someone uses the word "Experts" ! Like a lot of "Experts" and learned, experienced Media people had practically written off Trump...and now they are eating CROW ! :lol:
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Gurcan Uckardes

Post by Gurcan Uckardes »

What about the Android version? How long we must wait for Houdroid, the thing that never came...? Come on, seriously :?
My blog for Android users: http://chesstroid.blogspot.com