Deep Shredder 13 Windows out

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Broadway

Re: Deep Shredder 13 Windows out

Post by Broadway »

rcmaddox wrote:
Another thing I noticed ... Fritz doesn't display the "UCI_Shredderbases Path" as a parameter. Arena and Aquarium both show it as a configurable UCI option.
Yes, that's Fritz. Set the path here: File->Options->Tablebases
Here you configure the path as well for the engine as for the GUI.
Paloma
Full name: Herbert L

Re: Shredder 13 Problem

Post by Paloma »

http://forum.computerschach.de/cgi-bin/ ... l?tid=9181

Emil Vlasák found this:
.... Generally it is able to see a bishop underpromotion only on the root. .... :(
rcmaddox
Full name: Robert C. Maddox

Post by rcmaddox »

Broadway wrote:
rcmaddox wrote:
Another thing I noticed ... Fritz doesn't display the "UCI_Shredderbases Path" as a parameter. Arena and Aquarium both show it as a configurable UCI option.
Yes, that's Fritz. Set the path here: File->Options->Tablebases
Here you configure the path as well for the engine as for the GUI.
That doesn't work because the tablebase option settings in Fritz 14 and 15 allow you to configure global settings only for Nalimov, Gaviota and Syzygy tablebases.

Fritz does allow you to turn Shredderbases on or off in the configurable UCI options. If turned on, I presume Shredder will use Shredderbases if they are found in a default folder, defined by an .ini file ("bases.ini"). But other interfaces allow you to configure a different path.

It's not a big deal since I'm going with Syzygy anyway.
tpoppins

Post by tpoppins »

You can probably work around those particular Chessbase GUIs' limitations by editing the Shredder UCI file, typically found in

<drive letter>:\Users\<username>\AppData\Roaming\ChessBase\Engines.UCI

Create an [OPTIONS] section if it doesn't exist already and add the UCI parameters you want this way:

parametername=value

e.g,

[OPTIONS]
UCI_ShredderbasesPath=shredderbases\bases.ini
Use Shredderbases=Always
bern2k1

Post by bern2k1 »

Hello everyone!

Shredder used to be known for it's human-like playing style at low ELO settings.
AFAIK that was an explicit concern during development for previous version.

Is this also true for the new version?
Since this is a complete rewrite, I'm afraid the main concern was the maximum possible playing strength.

Is Shredder 13 suitable as a training partner for weaker players or is it better to stick to Shredder Classic for this purpose?

Best regards
Modern Times

Post by Modern Times »

rcmaddox wrote:
Fritz does allow you to turn Shredderbases on or off in the configurable UCI options. If turned on, I presume Shredder will use Shredderbases if they are found in a default folder, defined by an .ini file ("bases.ini"). But other interfaces allow you to configure a different path.

It's not a big deal since I'm going with Syzygy anyway.
Stefan confirmed to me that when both Shredderbases and Syzygy bases are ticked, it uses Syzygy. SO you don't need to turn off Shredderbases in order for Syzygy to be used. Just make sure Syzygy is ticked.
Mike S.

Post by Mike S. »

I'd like to add that the Shredder Classic 5 engine, except for the lack of MultiCPU, seems to be quite a strong engine too. An intermediate result from CEGT 40/4:

http://cegt.forumieren.com/t722-testing ... 5-x64#1614

:shock:
Regards, Mike