Crafty 25.1 Release

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

pferd

Re: Crafty 25.1 Release

Post by pferd »

Thanks for this release. I did make a quick gauntlet and this version does look much better than the predecessor.

I use 240/300+3 as a time control and crafty played most of its moves very quickly. In most games it ended up with more than 5 minutes left on the clock. I think with a better time management it could have hold some games to a draw.
Luis Babboni

Post by Luis Babboni »

MikeB wrote:Bob Hyatt and team - Tracy Reigle, Peter Skinner and yours truly, are please to announce the release of Crafty-v25.1
Thanks poeple!
And glad to see in the main Crafty´s web a link to that nice GUI! :)
bob

Post by bob »

pferd wrote:Thanks for this release. I did make a quick gauntlet and this version does look much better than the predecessor.

I use 240/300+3 as a time control and crafty played most of its moves very quickly. In most games it ended up with more than 5 minutes left on the clock. I think with a better time management it could have hold some games to a draw.
I don't quite follow what 240/300+3 means... is that 240 moves in 5 minutes + 3 sec inc? BTW I do not think the time usage was modified from what it was in 25.0...
pferd

Post by pferd »

bob wrote:
pferd wrote:Thanks for this release. I did make a quick gauntlet and this version does look much better than the predecessor.

I don't quite follow what 240/300+3 means... is that 240 moves in 5 minutes + 3 sec inc? BTW I do not think the time usage was modified from what it was in 25.0...
Yes, that means 240 moves in 5 minutes and 3 sec per moves inc. I played a couple of games with 40 moves in 1 min + 3 sec/move and in some of the games crafty ended up having over 2 min at move 41 which looks odd to me.

With x mins/game + 3 sec/move the time management does look much better.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

jpqy wrote:Thanks Dann..if possible when make a windows compile to include a bmi2 compile!

JP.
Does anyone know of a location to download a BMI compile?
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by jpqy »

Here you have a pop+bmi2 compile:

https://mega.nz/#!yRJThIzA!6_2QA0FItUgj ... gKLBnAIAMI

PS. copy complete link to get your download..

JP.
AdminX

Post by AdminX »

jpqy wrote:Here you have a pop+bmi2 compile:

https://mega.nz/#!yRJThIzA!6_2QA0FItUgj ... gKLBnAIAMI

PS. copy complete link to get your download..

JP.
Thank You.
"Good decisions come from experience, and experience comes from bad decisions."

Post by bob »

pferd wrote:
bob wrote:

Yes, that means 240 moves in 5 minutes and 3 sec per moves inc. I played a couple of games with 40 moves in 1 min + 3 sec/move and in some of the games crafty ended up having over 2 min at move 41 which looks odd to me.

With x mins/game + 3 sec/move the time management does look much better.
the 240/5 + 3sec is a bit unbalanced. That is on the order of about 1 second per move + 3 secs increment, which means the increment is the main part of the time per move.

I'll take a look although having 2 minutes left at move 40 seems reasonable when you start with 240 moves and 5 minutes. I would not expect it to burn all of that base time in the first 40-60 moves. I would suggest a more natural time control, maybe 60/1+inc,
wolfman

Post by wolfman »

It is a pity that non of the compiles are working for me.
Perhaps Jim Ablett can make working compiles.
Eran vd Wolf
Canoike

Re: Crafty 25.1 Release - Update doc

Post by Canoike »

I wish the doc to be updated because I like to tweak with the parameters. Yhe crafy.hlp is a bit too short and the one at the official website too old.

Thanks.