Cute Chess 0.9.3 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ilari

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.3 released

Post by ilari »

Ferdy wrote:Thanks, unfortunately I am running a 12 game match at TC 1hr + 10s inc with the old version.

Can I install it in another dir?, Is there an option in the setup? Could there be no problem when there are more than 1 version of Cute Chess installed?
Cute Chess itself doesn't care if it's installed in more than 1 place and it's possible to choose the install directory, but this question is more about Inno Setup which is used for packaging the Windows version. I imagine that at least the startup menus would be overridden by the later installation. I don't think it hurts to try and see what will happen but I don't know.
pferd

Post by pferd »

Hi,

I just want to report that I compiled cutechess again and now Komodo 9.x works just as expected :)
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Thanks, unfortunately I am running a 12 game match at TC 1hr + 10s inc with the old version.

Can I install it in another dir?, Is there an option in the setup? Could there be no problem when there are more than 1 version of Cute Chess installed?
and it's possible to choose the install directory, but this question is more about Inno Setup which is used for packaging the Windows version.
Just an info, it installed directly without giving me option which dir to install.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:I've made a new release of the Cute Chess GUI for 64-bit Windows and Linux: https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/ ... /gui-0.9.3

Lots of fixes (even major fixes) and small improvements. I have also created issues about the feedback I've had here but I won't implement major new features before we have a stable 1.0. Small features and improvements like allowing a human player to keep playing after running out of time have been and will be implemented even before 1.0.
How do you detect if a winboard engine can play crazyhouse chess variant?
What commands do you sent? I am testing old engines here that do not know protover command. I also use inbetween to revise the output of an engine to trick the gui.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Ferdy wrote:How do you detect if a winboard engine can play crazyhouse chess variant?
What commands do you sent? I am testing old engines here that do not know protover command. I also use inbetween to revise the output of an engine to trick the gui.
See "9. COMMANDS FROM THE ENGINE TO XBOARD" and specifically "variants": https://www.gnu.org/software/xboard/engine-intf.html

So the engine tells which variants it supports in the Xboard protocol 2 handshake. The supported variants are also stored in Cute Chess' engines.json config file like this:

Code: Select all

{
        "command" : "sjeng",
        "name" : "Sjeng",
        "protocol" : "xboard",
        "stderrFile" : "",
        "variants" : [
                "standard",
                "bughouse",
                "crazyhouse",
                "suicide",
                "giveaway",
                "losers"
        ],
        "workingDirectory" : ""
}
When you're setting up a new game or tournament, you can only choose engines that have the chosen variant in engines.json.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:I've made a new release of the Cute Chess GUI for 64-bit Windows and Linux: https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/ ... /gui-0.9.3

Lots of fixes (even major fixes) and small improvements. I have also created issues about the feedback I've had here but I won't implement major new features before we have a stable 1.0. Small features and improvements like allowing a human player to keep playing after running out of time have been and will be implemented even before 1.0.
Got the first crash when TC is 1 minute, RR tour, using pre-defined start pgn file.

ilari

Post by ilari »

Ferdy wrote:Got the first crash when TC is 1 minute, RR tour, using pre-defined start pgn file.
That's not good. How many games were played when this happened? Was this a tournament between two or more than two players?
Evert

Post by Evert »

Ferdy wrote: How do you detect if a winboard engine can play crazyhouse chess variant?
What commands do you sent? I am testing old engines here that do not know protover command.
In that case, you can't. The engine never sends "feature variants". Legacy documentation suggests the GUI should assume it can play anything...
ilari

Post by ilari »

Evert wrote:
Ferdy wrote: How do you detect if a winboard engine can play crazyhouse chess variant?
What commands do you sent? I am testing old engines here that do not know protover command.
In that case, you can't. The engine never sends "feature variants". Legacy documentation suggests the GUI should assume it can play anything...
I think I'll solve this issue by letting the user configure the supported variants for WB1 engines.
ilari

Post by ilari »

ilari wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Got the first crash when TC is 1 minute, RR tour, using pre-defined start pgn file.
That's not good. How many games were played when this happened? Was this a tournament between two or more than two players?
And could you send me the PGN that you're using as opening suite? My email is ilari.pihlajisto@mbnet.fi