Cute Chess 0.9.3 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Ferdy

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.3 released

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Got the first crash when TC is 1 minute, RR tour, using pre-defined start pgn file.
That's not good. How many games were played when this happened? Was this a tournament between two or more than two players?
After 12 games in the first match no problem. In the 2nd match of 12 games, now with different engines, the crash happened.

This is a round robin tournament with more than 2 players, here.

http://challonge.com/ccva_rr_tour_nr7_lightning

The first match imortal-kkfchess was completed.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Ferdy wrote:
ilari wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Got the first crash when TC is 1 minute, RR tour, using pre-defined start pgn file.
That's not good. How many games were played when this happened? Was this a tournament between two or more than two players?
After 12 games in the first match no problem. In the 2nd match of 12 games, now with different engines, the crash happened.

Thanks. Because you tried two installations of Cute Chess, could you make sure you're definitely using Cute Chess 0.9.3? You can check the version in the "Help -> About Cute Chess..." menu.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

Evert wrote:
Ferdy wrote: How do you detect if a winboard engine can play crazyhouse chess variant?
What commands do you sent? I am testing old engines here that do not know protover command.
In that case, you can't. The engine never sends "feature variants". Legacy documentation suggests the GUI should assume it can play anything...
I have this zh engine called Feuerstein that does not support feature variants.

xboard
protover 2

Code: Select all

feature myname="Feuerstein" colors=0 usermove=1 setboard=1 analyze=1 done=1
Using inbetween program, I can change the text the engine prints into other text, in this case I change,

colors=0
to

feature variants="crazyhouse" colors=0
So after xboard and protover commands I get this.
xboard
protover 2

feature myname="Feuerstein"
feature variants="crazyhouse" colors=0 usermove=1 setboard=1 analyze=1 done=1
It is only at this time that Cute Chess accepted that this engine is able to play zh.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:
Ferdy wrote:
ilari wrote:

Thanks. Because you tried two installations of Cute Chess, could you make sure you're definitely using Cute Chess 0.9.3? You can check the version in the "Help -> About Cute Chess..." menu.
Yes it is 0.9.3.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:
ilari wrote:
And could you send me the PGN that you're using as opening suite? My email is ilari.pihlajisto@mbnet.fi
You can download it here.

https://sites.google.com/site/zhassociation/download

Check start positions dir, then take ccva-60start.pgn
ilari

Post by ilari »

Ferdy wrote:You can download it here.

https://sites.google.com/site/zhassociation/download

Check start positions dir, then take ccva-60start.pgn
Thanks. I just left a 3-player 24000 game tournament with concurrency=4 running. Hopefully the bug can be reproduced.
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

ilari wrote:I think I'll solve this issue by letting the user configure the supported variants for WB1 engines.
In XBoard I added general work-around options -first/secondFeatures, which can be used to add (or overrule) 'feature' commands. This can be quite useful at times. E.g.if an engine says it uses 'ping', but the ping implementation is in fact defective, you can install it with -firstFeatures "ping=0" as extra WB option to make sure ping will not be used. You could also use that to create your own variants feature for engines that fail to send one.

XBoard sets the 'variants' feature of the engine to the currently selected variant before loading the engine, so that when an engine fails to send a variants feature, (e.g. because it is an old v1 engine) the variants always match, and there are no complaints by XBoard.
Evert

Post by Evert »

ilari wrote: I think I'll solve this issue by letting the user configure the supported variants for WB1 engines.
Makes sense. Probably the best that can be done for this case...

Detecting WB1 vs WB2 is a chore in itself...
Andres Valverde

Post by Andres Valverde »

Thanks for the upgrade!

I'm starting to use the Linux versión and missing the way of saving TOURNEYS. I have to set up from the scracht every time
Saludos, Andres
PaulieD

Post by PaulieD »

I have attempted 2 tournaments at SF STC (10+.1 secs)
with asmFish 160916,SF7,Komodo 10.1, and Houdini 4.

Total of 1000 games against each opponent for a total of 3000 for the match, concurrency is 3.

It has crashed twice. Also the results for asmFish were far below what I get when I use cutechess-cli 0.6.1 with CuGen.