Cute Chess 0.9.3 released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

ilari

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.3 released

Post by ilari »

hgm wrote:
ilari wrote:Multiple concurrent tournaments aren't possible at the moment, ...
Can't you simply do that by starting multiple instance of Cute-chess,one for each tournament? If so, wouldn't that always be preferable over trying to do everything with a single instance?
Yes, most likely that's actually better than using a single process.
Werewolf

Post by Werewolf »

ilari wrote:
hgm wrote:
Can't you simply do that by starting multiple instance of Cute-chess,one for each tournament? If so, wouldn't that always be preferable over trying to do everything with a single instance?
But if, say, I just wanted to compare two engines playing through an opening pgn database - would it be best to use the method you described with concurrence set to: Total Cores minus one (for the GUI)?
hgm
Full name: H G Muller

Post by hgm »

If you run two tourneys in parallel, you cannot give each of them use of the full machine. You would have to divide the available resources between the tourneys.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Werewolf wrote:
ilari wrote:
hgm wrote:
But if, say, I just wanted to compare two engines playing through an opening pgn database - would it be best to use the method you described with concurrence set to: Total Cores minus one (for the GUI)?
Total number of cores minus one is a good concurrency setting if the engines only use 1 thread each and you don't use pondering. With pondering enabled the engines use twice as much CPU time so concurrency should be cut in half.
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:I've made a new release of the Cute Chess GUI for 64-bit Windows and Linux: https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/ ... /gui-0.9.3

Lots of fixes (even major fixes) and small improvements. I have also created issues about the feedback I've had here but I won't implement major new features before we have a stable 1.0. Small features and improvements like allowing a human player to keep playing after running out of time have been and will be implemented even before 1.0.
I am not sure if you have implemented this but it does not recognize crazyhouse epd start position. The games generated are from standard zh start position.

Sample start epd for testing purposes:

Code: Select all

r1bqkbnr/pp3ppp/2ppp3/8/2BQP3/2N5/PPP2PPP/R1B2RK1[PNn] b kq -
r2qkb1r/ppp1ppp1/2n2np1/3p4/3P1B2/2N2P2/PPP1P1PP/R2QKB1R[Bn] w KQkq -
r1bqkb1r/pp3ppp/2pppn2/6B1/2BQP3/2N5/PPP2PPP/R4RK1[PNn] b kq -
r1q1kb1r/ppp1ppp1/2n2np1/3p4/3P1B2/2N2PB1/PPP1P1PP/R2QKB1R[n] w KQkq -
There are only 4 zh engines that I know that can understand the above epd format.
Imortal
TJchess
NebiyuAlien
Sjaak