Houdini 5 dev in TCEC

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

Jouni

Houdini 5 dev in TCEC

Post by Jouni »

Robert has really improved engine. In CCRL, CEGT and IPON Houdini 4 was 119, 154 and 137 points below Komodo 10.1. So progress has been around 140 ELO! Also the qualification to superfinal was the greatest surprise in last ten years or ever!!
Jouni
JJJ

Re: Houdini 5 dev in TCEC

Post by JJJ »

Jouni wrote:Robert has really improved engine. In CCRL, CEGT and IPON Houdini 4 was 119, 154 and 137 points below Komodo 10.1. So progress has been around 140 ELO! Also the qualification to superfinal was the greatest surprise in last ten years or ever!!
Yeah I agree with that :)
Henk

Post by Henk »

Maybe because Houdini 5 was not in the test set of the other engines.
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

Jouni wrote:the greatest surprise in last ten years or ever!!
I bet it was for the Komodo Team too, albeit an unpleasant one ! :lol:
Imagine the sheer ARROGANCE of using Contempt 10 against Houdini in the first game of Stage 3 !
Luckily for them, the Backup Plan worked, and the Game was called off.
Full Marks to Robert Houdart, who had full Faith in his Engine and persevered without complaint.
In the end Truth and Justice Prevailed.
Amen.
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

shrapnel wrote:
Imagine the sheer ARROGANCE of using Contempt 10 against Houdini in the first game of Stage 3 !
Full Marks to Robert Houdart, who had full Faith in his Engine and persevered without complaint.
Amen.
The settings problem wasn't Komodo team fault, and you have to know that.
I m not as expert as Mark or Larry are, but I have the feeling than the contempt 7 was probably too much for this stage, but the impact of it might have been non existent :)
shrapnel

Post by shrapnel »

JJJ wrote:The settings problem wasn't Komodo team fault
If you believe that, you probably also believe in Fairies and Santa Claus, too ! Cho Chweet !
:lol:
You're right about the Contempt, though.
Contempt 7 was ridiculous !
Perhaps Contempt -7 would have been more appropriate. :lol:
i7 5960X @ 4.1 Ghz, 64 GB G.Skill RipJaws RAM, Twin Asus ROG Strix OC 11 GB Geforce 2080 Tis
Sean Evans

Post by Sean Evans »

Jouni wrote:Robert has really improved engine. In CCRL, CEGT and IPON Houdini 4 was 119, 154 and 137 points below Komodo 10.1. So progress has been around 140 ELO! Also the qualification to superfinal was the greatest surprise in last ten years or ever!!
Plagiarizing other authors code and adding it to your program to make it stronger is not doing work; it is called pirating.

Cordially,

Sean
lkaufman

Post by lkaufman »

JJJ wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
Amen.
I m not as expert as Mark or Larry are, but I have the feeling than the contempt 7 was probably too much for this stage, but the impact of it might have been non existent :)
Of course contempt 7 was too high for the games with SF and Houdini, but probably too low for the other five opponents. Overall at least close to the right value, maybe 5 or 6 would have been a tad better. But that wasn't the main problem. The main thing is that Komodo just moves too fast in general in these games, and I think we finally figured out why and what to do about it, but too late for this year's TCEC.
Komodo rules!
JJJ

Post by JJJ »

lkaufman wrote:
JJJ wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
Amen.
Of course contempt 7 was too high for the games with SF and Houdini, but probably too low for the other five opponents. Overall at least close to the right value, maybe 5 or 6 would have been a tad better. But that wasn't the main problem. The main thing is that Komodo just moves too fast in general in these games, and I think we finally figured out why and what to do about it, but too late for this year's TCEC.
I hope it will give you some nice elo Jump. Anyways, it was nice to see Komodo in tough competition against Houdini. And now there is again 3 top chess program. I think it's good for chess.
beram

Post by beram »

lkaufman wrote:
JJJ wrote:
shrapnel wrote:
Amen.
..A tad better... is about 0,4 Elo? :lol:
Well at least Komodo scales better :lol: :lol: