Cute Chess 0.9.0 (GUI) released

Discussion of anything and everything relating to chess playing software and machines.

Moderators: hgm, Rebel, chrisw

elcabesa

Re: Cute Chess 0.9.0 (GUI) released

Post by elcabesa »

Congratulation,

I started playing with cutechess-gui and it seems a very good interface!

I also created some feature request in github :)

very very nice work
ilari

Post by ilari »

Krzysztof Grzelak wrote:Ilari Pihlajisto please write when the program will work properly. So far, I still have the same problem as shown by user Ferdinand Mosca.
Which problem? Ferdy has found multiple bugs already.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Ferdy wrote:I run a 3 engine zh rr tour, in one game, Nebiyu rejects its opponent's move. When that problematic game ends, cutechess does not continue the tournament. Recover crashed engines checkbox is off.

Cute Chess does not recognize the "Illegal move" because Cute Chess is supposed to never send illegal moves to engines. So Cute Chess thinks that Nebiyu is stalling and terminates it. If you enable "Recover crashed engines", the tournament should continue.

Is the move really illegal here? I mean, is this a bug in Cute Chess' or Nebiyu's legal move generator?
Evert

Post by Evert »

ilari wrote:
Ferdy wrote:There seems to be a problem installing the Sjaak II 1.3.1a engine after pressing advanced tab.
I can reproduce that - Cute Chess can't handle Sjaak in Xboard mode and goes crazy. But in UCI mode I could install Sjaak without problems.

I'll try to fix this bug later today.
Sjaak II makes extensive use of newer CECP features, and it cuts a corner or two as well. It's possible that there is an issue there; if you can reproduce the problem, you could also send me a copy of the GUI/engine interaction so I can test it here.

No combination of input should hang or crash an engine, so in that sense this is a problem with Sjaak II that needs to be fixed on my end...

EDIT: unrelated, but it would be interesting to know if playing variants in UCI mode works correctly; this is something I've never really been able to test.
Last edited by Evert on Sat Sep 03, 2016 11:25 am, edited 2 times in total.
Evert

Post by Evert »

ilari wrote: Cute Chess does not recognize the "Illegal move" because Cute Chess is supposed to never send illegal moves to engines. So Cute Chess thinks that Nebiyu is stalling and terminates it. If you enable "Recover crashed engines", the tournament should continue.
You should forfeit engines that claim an "Illegal move" if you're sure you'll never send one of those.
Is the move really illegal here? I mean, is this a bug in Cute Chess' or Nebiyu's legal move generator?
From what I recall, I think it's a bug in Nebiyu's interpretation of promotion in crazyhouse: it uses different (incorrect) piece identifiers for promoted pieces. If that's the case though, it should also show up in XBoard...
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:
ilari wrote:
Ferdy wrote:Still does not work. Same message display.
There seem to be several missing dependencies, but I just found the very helpful "windeployqt" tool which bundles the dependencies for me. I'll update the Windows installer tomorrow morning.
I was able to reproduce the problem. I've updated the Windows installer again. Now it installs qwindows.dll in the right place, which should fix the issue.
Running gauntlet with two engines, the tournament result window lacks important info. Engine score is missing.

Norbert Raimund Leisner

Post by Norbert Raimund Leisner »

Hello Ilari,

I cannot implement external WB/UCI compatible into CuteChess 0.9.0 with the menu game/new/. My OS is Windows 7 x64 SP1.

The default setting is human vs. human , but I cannot use the option CPU vs. human, human vs. CPU or CPU vs. CPU.

The screen "freezes" and nothing happens. What can be done in your opinion? I think it would be a good idea to include current Sloppy edition
as a component of your interface.

Best wishes,
Norbert
Ferdy

Post by Ferdy »

ilari wrote:Cute Chess does not recognize the "Illegal move" because Cute Chess is supposed to never send illegal moves to engines. So Cute Chess thinks that Nebiyu is stalling and terminates it. If you enable "Recover crashed engines", the tournament should continue.
Right I got this.
ilari wrote:Is the move really illegal here?
The move is legal.
ilari wrote:I mean, is this a bug in Cute Chess' or Nebiyu's legal move generator?
Bug in Nebiyu.
ilari

Post by ilari »

ilari wrote:
Ferdy wrote:There seems to be a problem installing the Sjaak II 1.3.1a engine after pressing advanced tab.
I can reproduce that - Cute Chess can't handle Sjaak in Xboard mode and goes crazy. But in UCI mode I could install Sjaak without problems.

I'll try to fix this bug later today.
I've fixed the hang (infinite loop) but Cute Chess still can't parse the options correctly that have equality signs in CHOICE fields, namely "Variant fairy selects". I don't think it's going to be difficult to fix, I'll just have to be careful since I'm using a regex to do the parsing.
ilari

Post by ilari »

Ferdy wrote:Running gauntlet with two engines, the tournament result window lacks important info. Engine score is missing.

There's an issue about this: https://github.com/cutechess/cutechess/issues/105
It's fixed in the master branch, but I'll fix some more bugs before doing a new release.